Tyrian - WDYT?

Tyrian is a color also known as royal purple, imperial purple or imperial dye, is a purple-red dye first produced by the ancient Phoenicians. Similar color names include [name]Indigo[/name], [name]Sienna[/name], [name]Silver[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Blue[/name] and [name]Gray[/name] (among others).

What I want to know, is do you think this might make a good name?

What about Tyrian for a little boy?
It starts with ”[name]Ty[/name]”, as in [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Ty[/name], [name]Tyson[/name], [name]Tyrone[/name], [name]Tyree[/name], [name]Tyrell[/name], [name]Tyrese[/name], and [name]Tyshawn[/name] ” All appearing on the 2009 SSA list of boys names. And it ends in ”rian”, as in [name]Brian[/name], [name]Adrian[/name], [name]Darian[/name], and [name]Dorian[/name] ” Also appearing on the 2009 SSA list of boys names. If you just do the ”ian” ending, you get an even longer list, including [name]Christian[/name] (various spellings), [name]Julian[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Damian[/name], [name]Fabian[/name], [name]Davian[/name], [name]Kian[/name], [name]Maximilian[/name], [name]Lucian[/name], [name]Tristian[/name], [name]Killian[/name], and [name]Elian[/name].
Would it make a decent “unique” FN choice for parents out there? Would it be better in the MN position?

Would it work for a little girl?
Feminine names that end in “ian” include [name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Lilian[/name], [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Jillian[/name] - Again, all appearing on the 2009 SSA list of girls names. The “ian” sound is more often found on the girls list with an additional “a” sound at the end (like [name]Brianna[/name]/[name]Briana[/name], [name]Arianna[/name]/[name]Ariana[/name], and [name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lilliana[/name]/[name]Lilianna[/name]/[name]Lillianna[/name], just to name a few).
Again, would this be better for a little girl’s MN or would it be fine as a FN?

Thanks for your help and opinions :smiley:

Not a fan of it on a boy or girl. Sounds too similar to tyranny and tyrant in my opinion.

Sorry I agree with the previous poster, it’s just too similar to tyrant, Tyranny etc. though I can see the appeal

So [name]Killian[/name] with it’s obvious “Kill” beginning is OK
[name]Devon[/name], only 2 letters away from Devil is OK
One person once told me that [name]Ace[/name] sounded too close to @$$ to be used as even a nickname…
[name]Simeon[/name] is a homophone for simian, which means “monkey”… yet many people find that a great alternative for the more popular [name]Simon[/name]
All of these are excepted names (and lets face it - not everybody loves ALL names - I don’t even love all of these names!)

But Tyrian, just because it looks similar to tyrant is a bad name? Regardless of the fact that it is a color once reserved for royalty (and a much better name (IMHO) then [name]King[/name]…

Sorry, I just hate it when a name gets vetoed without consideration just because of a similarity, especially if the similarity has nothing to do with the name itself!

I associate it with Tyrann too… but I think that it’d be ok to use it for a boy but not for a girl; sounds too masculine and hard to me

I really like it! But is it Tee-ree-un or Teye-ree-un?

The actual word is pronounced “TIR-ee-uhn”
But I could see some choosing to pronounce it “TIE-ree-uhn”

Sorry didn’t mean to offend you! Like I said I can see the appeal and I really do like the relation to the color, plus I think it fits in with some of the current trends, especially for boys names, it isn’t my taste (but then again neither is [name]Killian[/name] :)) I could definitely see a little boy named this, though I think it is a little too masculine for a girl

“[name]Tyran[/name]…”

how about [name]Taran[/name]?

Honestly? The first think I thought of when I read the tittle was Tyranny. I know you got cross about it being vetoed for that reason, but that is my honest thoughts on the name, if you don’t like it, so sorry.
The difference is that [name]Devon[/name] and [name]Killian[/name] are accepted names given to many children, I have never even heard of Tyrian before. And visually it is not at all pleasing to me. The ‘y’ makes it look trendy or unique.
Not for me, maybe for you, but I am not impressed.