uh-lee-see-uh spelling?

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you spell this name?

Uh-lee-see-uh?

I can’t find the right spelling or am I making this name up? Lol

You’re not making it up. This is a standard pronunciation of [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] - I’ve seen Brits use it, Spanish-speaking folks, Scandinavian people… just not Americans, but I don’t know how much of an issue that would be after correcting.

I’d spell it [name_f]Elysia[/name_f], but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it as [name_f]Alessia[/name_f] or [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] just looks so much nicer and has the added bonus of some mythology, history, and cool imagery behind it. There’s actually an [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] on my course, but I’m not sure how she says it.

[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] is Eh-lee-see-uh and [name_f]Alessia[/name_f] is [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-le-see-ah to me (hope this makes sense -I admit I suck at writing down pronunciation).

Maybe [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] or Aleesia?

I agree that it’s [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] and you just correct anyone who says ah-lee-sha or ah-lih-sha. Like @luneth said, [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] and [name_f]Alessia[/name_f] are pronounced differently.

I agree with the spelling of [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], you’ll just have to correct pronunciation often.

I’ve seen it spelled [name_f]Alycia[/name_f] to emphasize the “ee” sound and I’ve also seen it as Aliesia to force the “ee-see-uh”. I used to be a preschool teacher :wink: I think the s makes the “see-uh” more obvious in place of the c, which assumes the “shuh” pronunciation, but at the same time I think [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] is the safest option. It’s a bit like having the name [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] and having to tell people “it’s awn-drey-UH, not AAN-dree-uh”. In my opinion, [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] is the prettiest spelling but not straight forward enough for the sound.

I agree with the previous poster that said this is purely an American thing - you won’t have to correct it as much with people outside of the US and [name_f]Canada[/name_f].

mmmmm [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] maybe?

[name_f]Alicia[/name_f], but agree that Americans will say a-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-sha first. [name_f]Elisia[/name_f] might work too.

[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]! All other spellings would be more confusing and you’d have to correct them just as much, with [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] you at least have a genuine spelling/name.

My favorite is [name_f]Alisia[/name_f]. [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] will always be uh-lee-shuh, in need of correcting. It depends on how creative you want to get!

I disagree with a pp that a different spelling would be just as confusing. There’s no way the majority of people would be first inclined to pronounce [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] as uh-leesh-uh. Maybe ell-eye-see-uh. Same with [name_f]Alisia[/name_f]. The swapping of the ‘s’ for the ‘c’ gives the ending ‘sia,’ which is not ever (as far as I’m aware) pronounced “sha” in English.

I like it as [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], however, [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] is more commonly said like [name_f]Alisha[/name_f] where I live. I would spell it as [name_f]Alysia[/name_f]

@bassilly
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f] & [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] aren’t pronounces with a “see-a” ending, and [name_f]Alisia[/name_f] could be seen as a creative twist on [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] by many.
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f] would be ee-lye-zee-a/ee-lye-see-a to many, so just as confusing.

Arguably, those aren’t traditional English names, and I think someone unfamiliar with [name_f]Cassia[/name_f] would intuitively say [name_u]Cass[/name_u]-ee-uh. I did until I read it on here. My husband did when I asked him just now, haha! And [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] is pronounced ah-nah-stah-see-ah as well. But good point, I didn’t think about that one.

I think [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] is more ell-ee-see-uh than EE-lee…, etc. I know two [name_f]Elise[/name_f]'s, and they constantly correct people, because everyone always defaults to “eh” or even “uh” instead of “ee.”

Again, I disagree on [name_f]Alisia[/name_f]. I think it’s much more intuitive as uh-lee-see-uh than [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], esp. in the U.S. While it’s true that it may be confusing, I think it would be on a much smaller scale than spelling it [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], which was my original point.

This is really hard, there’s no spelling that would easily communicate the sound you want want to everyone, or even most everyone. s,c, i, e, and y just have too many different legitimate pronunciations in English. I would just pick the one that makes sense to you and accept that you will have to correct people. [name_m]Just[/name_m] to add my two cents I will put my pronunciations too.
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]- uh-lee-sha
[name_f]Alisia[/name_f]- I would assume this was a different spelling of [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] and pronounce it the same, but it makes sense with the uh-lee-see-uh pronunciation too
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f]- eh-liz-ee-uh or eh-leez-ee-uh
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]- uh-less-ee-uh
[name_f]Elicia[/name_f]- This one gets my vote. If you have ever seen Fullmetal Alchemist, one of the characters has a small daughter named uh-lee-see-uh, spelled this way.