Undecided

I have a huge problem… I absolutely love the name [name]River[/name] for a boy.
The problem is friends and family dislike this name the associate “old man river” with it.
Should I just go with it?

Second, the middle name…here’s my thoughts so far and keep in mind the daddy’s last name is actually the word French and he wants the name to flow…
Middle name choices: [name]Chace[/name], [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name], [name]Grayson[/name].

I don’t think the name [name]River[/name] evokes “old man river”. On the contrary, it sounds fresh and modern to me!

Of your choices, [name]Alexander[/name] flows best by far. [name]River[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] French is very handsome. :slight_smile:

I doesn’t evoke ‘old man river’ to me, and I like it. However, I think you should be careful of it’s slightly ‘hippy’ vibe (not like hipster, like tree-hugger). While it is perfect if you like that sort of name, and not a problem for you, there may be certain expectations and presumptions fitted to a boy who had such a name … for example, I think if the captain of the school maths club was called [name]River[/name], I think people would do a double take.

I am also unsure of the flow of [name]River[/name] French … it’s all a bit ‘r’-y and vowel-lacking in the middle, and it is a noun with an adjective …

Onto the combinations :
[name]River[/name] [name]Chace[/name] French - this sounds like a place to me ([name]River[/name] [name]Chase[/name]), and also the flow is off.
[name]River[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] French- there is the repeating -er sound, but I think this is the type of name you should use as a mn if you do go with [name]River[/name]; something classic, traditional and dependable which he could revert to if he wanted a more ‘normal’ name.
[name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] French - this is too much.
[name]River[/name] [name]Grayson[/name] French - also good.

Alternatively, I think [name]River[/name] would be very good as a mn.

Other names like [name]Alexander[/name] :
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Peregrine[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Jacob[/name]
[name]James[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]/[name]Luke[/name].

Good luck!

I think [name]River[/name] is a fine name, but put together with the other names, I think it sounds better as a middle name - e.g. [name]Grayson[/name] [name]River[/name] French, - you can still call him [name]River[/name].

[name]River[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is perfect. Not too trendy.

[name]Just[/name] a word of caution, [name]River[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name] was an actor who died of a drug overdose ([name]Joaquin[/name] [name]Phoenix[/name]'s brother) so I would avoid that combo.

I really like [name]River[/name] [name]Grayson[/name] French!