Underrated Flower Names

Categorized this under girl baby names because there are a very few flower names I could find for boys! But recent post have me thinking if there’s any flower related names we feel are underrated! I feel names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or even [name_f]Iris[/name_f], are used fairly often! But there’s such a variety of flower themed names! If I ever have twins I will be giving them flower names :bangbang: A couple that I love and feel need to be used more are listed below:

Verbena - I heard a famous character has this name but I have yet to see where it’s from, I feel it’s very beautiful and the nickname [name_m]Benny[/name_m] would be so cute! Prefer it over [name_f]Violet[/name_f]! And for the longest of times this was my top baby girl name

Aster- With [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] being so popular and this name being unisex, I do wish it could be used more often!

Ren - I love this name for boys! It’s my favorite flower name! And I already plan on using it as a middle! The main character in Footlose is named this for anybody considering but wondering if theres connotations to it

Amarine - It’s a flower name along with an ocean name! I’m surprised no one has heard about this (do tell me if u have)! I deem this name my perfect baby name! As it fits all my criteria’s ([name_u]French[/name_u] name, ocean name, uniqueness :sweat_smile:) While it means Aquamarine in [name_u]French[/name_u], it’s also the name of a flower

Marigold- Obsessed with this name, it was on my list for so long! The nickname [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] is the cutest! And I find it has the same appeal to popular [name_f]Mari[/name_f] names! Would love this as a middle name or even first name, I know [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] is a favorite, so maybe [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] will be next!

1 Like

It’s not completely unseen, but I think [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] is delightful!

Also a big fan of:
[name_f]Calytrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnaea[/name_f]
[name_f]Celandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Peony[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f]
[name_u]Thistle[/name_u]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_u]Snapdragon[/name_u]

3 Likes

I adore the names [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] and [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], and really want to use them for potential daughters’ middle names. I’ve managed to convince DH with [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (we like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]) but he’s not as convinced on [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] (I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f])

I also really like [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] after I came across it on a little girl at DS1’s play group. I think it’s stunning and very underrated.

I also like [name_f]Petunia[/name_f] but think it’s been tainted by [name_f]Petunia[/name_f] Dursley from [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m].

4 Likes

@luciaintheskywithdia [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] is a favorite of mine too! I feel it’s too cartoonish as a first name though so hopefully your hubby will be able to see the appeal to it as a middle! I would shorten one portion of it ([name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] or [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Bell[/name_u]?) maybe than it won’t be too out there and he’ll reconsider :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] as an underrated flower name. I also have a soft spot for [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] which have floral connections :)) [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (although common) has always appealed to me too.

2 Likes

@MargotAbeline I consider the name [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] too be quite a goth or “scary” name! Probably due to the famous murder case ( I use to be obsessed with true crime), [name_f]My[/name_f] community actually has a lot of [name_f]Dalia[/name_f]’s! Which I think is a nice alternative for anybody wanting to avoid that connection! [name_f]Florence[/name_f] reminds me of a singer but I love the name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] is so cute! But my dad has a cow named [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] so he’ll never forgive me if my child has the same name as his cow

@rosepip [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] is a favorite of mine! I was considering that for a middle could never find a good fit, I also like the [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] and [name_f]Lilac[/name_f] combo for baby girls (so maybe if I have twins I can be cheesy with that)

5 Likes

I love [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] [name_u]Blue[/name_u] but he’s a bit suspicious of anything blue related as he’s a big football fan and his team play in red, whilst my family’s team is blue, and he thinks we’re trying to trick him into accepting blue :roll_eyes:

Incidentally I have been trying to wear him down with the compromise of [name_f]Cora[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] and he said “we’ll see”…which is probably still a no but it gives me hope (he said the same about my other love, [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] [name_u]Fox[/name_u]. He hated both names but I managed to persuade him with [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] and now DS2 is [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] :laughing:)

1 Like

that’s true, i’m in the UK so the case is less prevalent but I also like true crime so it is an association but I don’t feel like it’s any different to being called [name_m]Jack[/name_m] as in ‘[name_m]Jack[/name_m] the Ripper’ really. The case is old so hopefully that connection will wear off soon. I like [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] a lot, so pretty. :blush::blush:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Picotee[/name_f]

2 Likes

Glory for morning glory and for the obvious praise/honor meaning.

1 Like

I have two cousins (sisters) named [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]!

2 Likes

Some if my guilty pleasure name are…
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]
[name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
Wysteria

2 Likes

thats so sweet!! I love that :heart_eyes:

Some favourite flower names of mine that I’ve never encountered on a real person:

Amaryllis
[name_f]Begonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Buttercup[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Carnation[/name_f]
[name_f]Daffodil[/name_f]
[name_u]Foxglove[/name_u]
[name_f]Fuchsia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]
[name_f]Geranium[/name_f]
Gerbera
[name_f]Hydrangea[/name_f]
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
Lobelia
[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Petunia[/name_f]
[name_f]Primula[/name_f]
[name_u]Snapdragon[/name_u]
[name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f]
[name_f]Tulip[/name_f]
[name_f]Verbena[/name_f]
[name_u]Yarrow[/name_u]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]

1 Like

My favorite underused ones:

Tansy
[name_f]Celandine[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]

1 Like

Azalea(Az/Azzy)
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] - I really like it with middle name [name_f]Grace[/name_f].
[name_f]Zahara[/name_f]
[name_u]Carmel[/name_u] - This means Garden.
[name_f]Acacia[/name_f] - [name_f]Flower[/name_f] name and it’s Greek.
[name_f]Calla[/name_f] - Means beauty in Greek and is short for [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f].
[name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] - It’s a stunning yellow flower.
[name_f]Lotus[/name_f] - I mean, [name_u]Ren[/name_u] means [name_f]Lotus[/name_f] in Japanese.
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
Tulip
Fuchsia

I think it would be nice to have a [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] and [name_f]Zahara[/name_f] as they come from “[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] [name_f]Zahara[/name_f]” a flowery bush.

1 Like

Azalea
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]

2 Likes

I’ve also been really feeling Wilderose, [name_f]Wildflower[/name_f] and [name_u]Dandelion[/name_u] recently!

1 Like

Rose is my favourite name tbh, I think it’s quite underrated as a first, but in names that aren’t used very much I’d say [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Bryony[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavender[/name_f].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]! Its super cute, unique without being made up, has great symbolism, and can honor any [name_f]Mary[/name_f] type names in your circle! [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is another favorite of mine. I find [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] and [name_f]Clover[/name_f] really cute, and I have them as part of some combos, but they might be GPs for me. A couple that I do t think are necessarily underrated as names but definitely as flower names are [name_f]Susan[/name_f] (black eyed susans) and [name_m]William[/name_m] (sweet williams).

1 Like