Underrated Flower Names

I completely agree with you on [name_f]Aster[/name_f]! I adore [name_f]Aster[/name_f] :sparkling_heart:

Other underrated flower names I like: [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], [name_f]Calla[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. [name_f]Edelweiss[/name_f] is also a gp of mine, with nn [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

1 Like

We chose [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] for our daughter because this was her great-grandmother’s favorite flower. She grew them in her backyard for decades. However, I too think it’s a more serious and darker flower name! And I like that. Maybe not gothic, but with a little touch of film noir or femme fatale. for sure.

I don’t know how much that has to do with the death of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Short. I would say not much, since I didn’t know about her until I ran [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]'s name by some people who mentioned the unsolved murder. It wasn’t a pleasant find :pensive:, that is way too dark and tragic. I quickly got over my hesitation after learning that she was not called the [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], nor was her murder tied in any way to the flower, and it was just a random name given to her by the press to sell newspapers and sensationalize her death.

But yeah, I like that there’s a non-frilly, more commanding presence behind [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] than what comes to mind with other flowers. So far she’s been the only one in her class called that, and now we grow dahlias of our own at home to celebrate her and honor her great-grand.

3 Likes

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]! And [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] and [name_f]Aster[/name_f] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].
Also [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], but I’m not sure whether I REALLY love them or they’ve just grown on me from too much time on nameberry.

When I was little I wished that [name_f]Heliotrope[/name_f] sounded nice enough to be a name, because I thought that flower fairy from “flower fairies of the garden” was soooo beautiful. But I don’t think it works, I don’t like the sounds.

I can vouch that gentle wearing down by just casually mentioning it can sometimes totally work. When I first mentioned [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], hubby said “sure, if she comes out with a wrinkly old lady face holding a cane we can totally call her that”. By the time she arrived it was on the top 3 list, and he now thinks he always liked it…!

2 Likes

I like [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_f]Posey[/name_f], [name_f]Saffron[/name_f] & [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]

1 Like

@Lussinatta I love flower names for the fact alone that there’s a representation of the name! I hope in near future I’m able to plant flowers with the same name as my daughter (or son!) I envy that sort of tradition found because of a name :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: can’t help but agree with you on the name! Couldn’t word it so I randomly said goth!

@Mickeywich I didn’t even see the [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars reference! I liked the [name_m]Kylo[/name_m] [name_u]Ren[/name_u] combo! Thought they were both amazing and not so popular big names!

@Kiriko Hello was actually on my baby boys name for awhile! I didn’t even notice it was an unintentional flower name! I love it more now, may have to reconsider now :joy:

@lunasapphire [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is a guilty pleasure of mine, it so rare to find good T names for girls! But I love how simple and sweet [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is!

Kylo is my favorite character so I see him in everything😂. While [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars is popular, I don’t think using half of a characters name should cause any problems.

1 Like

Freesia

Bryonie is one of my all time favorite names and definitely underappreciated. I love [name_f]Verbena[/name_f]!

Although I love many of the ones named so far, I’m not going to repeat any if I can help it. Here are mine:

[name_f]Ardith[/name_f] / [name_f]Ardyth[/name_f] - flowering field

[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] - Daphne ([name_f]Daphne[/name_f] odora, [name_u]Winter[/name_u] [name_f]Daphne[/name_f]) is a type of flower

[name_f]Galanthus[/name_f] - also known as the [name_f]Snowdrop[/name_f]

Gaura - It is pronounced GAU-rah , if I’m not mistaken. It is a flower name that is also known as Whirling Butterflies , so it would probably lean more toward a girl’s name. The closest name in sound found on the NB index is the Hindi name [name_f]Gauri[/name_f], a girl’s name meaning fair, pale.

Gladiolus - from the linked blog “the flower of the month, which could be shortened to [name_f]Gladys[/name_f]

Hibiscus - this would be cute as a middle name for a girl

Kunal - lotus in Sanskrit → boy’s name

Linaria - a member of the Snapdragon Family → would be great as a girls’ name

[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] - daisy in Dutch

[name_f]Miki[/name_f] - flower stem in Japanese

[name_f]Nanala[/name_f] - sunflower in Hawaiian

[name_f]Ornella[/name_f] - flowering ash tree in Italian

Roselani - heavenly rose in Hawaiian

[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] at the peek of it’s trendiest it never cracked into the top 50 names.

[name_f]Anise[/name_f]- could be a reference to the herb anise’s tiny white flowers or for the rich purples of anise hyssop flowers. Understated and earthy like [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], or [name_f]Ginger[/name_f].

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]- I feel like there’s more buzz around this name than what’s reflected in actual usage. Personally I’d love to see it cross over from people’s guilty pleasure lists and onto their short lists.

Celosia- striking flowers and a pretty sound. I could see it being popular with people who love names like [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

[name_f]Anemone[/name_f]- I’ve always assumed people pause because they also associate them with sea anemones but this is such a gorgeous flower name and it’s severely overlooked.

[name_f]Gardenia[/name_f]- so I understand fully why this name doesn’t get a lot of attention, but I can’t help but love it. Such a gorgeous, fragrant flower and the name itself just strikes the right balance between clunky and frilly for me.

[name_f]Freesia[/name_f]- I’m actually surprised this one isn’t more popular. It feels like a name that should be classed in with choices like [name_f]Azalea[/name_f].

[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]- see notes about [name_f]Lavender[/name_f].

Alyssum- delicate, pretty flowers and a fun alternative to [name_f]Alyssa[/name_f].

[name_f]Ginger[/name_f]- hasn’t even charted since 1989. Down to earth but still has some pep. Several varieties of ginger produce large, colorful, showy flowers.

For boys:

[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]- it bears a similarity to popular names like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. Really lovely flowers.

Dianthus- stately, strong, and a beautiful flower that comes in striking colors.

[name_u]Quince[/name_u]- similar to [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], or [name_m]Quint[/name_m]. Bold flowers that are a garden favorite for bees and hummingbirds.

[name_u]Lupine[/name_u]- feels plenty masculine while conjuring up images of flowering fields swarmed with butterflies.

Sorry if mentioned but I think [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Posey[/name_f] are so sweet and I also think ivy gets a bad rep when I really like it’s vintage feel.
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] and flora are also great

I so wish [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u] was considered “usable” for a boy. I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t. It’s robably my #1 guilty pleasure.

Sorrel
This is a tree not a flower, but Larch. Maybe not irl but definitely in fiction.
[name_f]Jonquil[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Sorry for repeats! These are on my own list (either as favourites or guilty pleasures!);

Marigold
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f]
[name_f]Blossom[/name_f]
[name_f]Petal[/name_f]
Honeysuckle
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Posie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]
[name_f]Ffion[/name_f] (Welsh for foxglove)
[name_f]Tulip[/name_f]

1 Like

I know a mama whose stepdaughter is a [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f].

1 Like

Chrysanthemum!!

Azalea
[name_f]Camelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] (on some websites, this name is associated with a Greek word that means field flower)
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
Florenc
[name_f]Lilac[/name_f] (or [name_f]Lila[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u])
[name_f]Orchid[/name_f]
[name_f]Primrose[/name_f]

I love flower names. [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f] and even [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f]

1 Like

‘Underrated’ flower names are my guilty pleasures!

There was a book I read in the seventh grade based on the twelve dancing princesses and all the girls were named after flowers, some of my favourites were: [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Clover[/name_f], [name_f]Delphinium[/name_f], [name_f]Evening[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], Goldenrod “[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]”, Hollyhock “[name_u]Holly[/name_u]”, and [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f]

Some others I love that I believe are severely underrated are: [name_f]Calla[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Edelweiss[/name_f], [name_u]Larkspur[/name_u], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_u]Lotus[/name_u], and [name_f]Peony[/name_f]

1 Like

Dahlia is my favorite :heart_eyes:

I also love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] but I dont think its underrated - been quite popular.

I also like [name_u]Aster[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], and [name_f]Calla[/name_f].

I feel like I want to like [name_u]Lotus[/name_u] - would be a cool but brave name.

1 Like

I knew a family growing up in the 80’s and their kids were named Dande [name_m]Lion[/name_m] (a girl), [name_f]Clover[/name_f], and [name_u]Levi[/name_u]. I thought they had the most amazing names ever! Dande just went by Dande without the [name_m]Lion[/name_m]. I think Dande [name_m]Lion[/name_m] would be a super cool boy name!!

3 Likes