Unique Opportunity to Choose a Last Name

[name]Hi[/name] there fellow namers!

I have an interesting situation to share and I would like some (nice!) feedback. I am currently engaged to a really wonderful guy, my high school sweetheart. We are getting married in [name]December[/name]. The thing is that we both agreed that it is archaic for me to take his last name. And of course, the opposite would be strange as well. This is the point where a lot of people would either take a hyphenated name or just keep their names the same. Unfortunately, we have oppositions to both. My fiance happens to have a really strange and long name, so hyphenating it would be a bit much for both of us. We don’t want to just keep our current names because we don’t know what name we would give our kids when they eventually come along. So, our solution: make up a new name! I know this is pretty out there. [name]Bear[/name] with me here. We used the letters from our current names to come up with these four.

[name]Black[/name]
Oakwell
[name]Wallace[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]

My fiance and I are liking Oakwell the best at this point. My question for you namers is 1) is this just too completely outlandish of a plan? 2) if not, which name do you like? Thanks, you guys!

Well, I guess if that’s what you want to do and his family doesn’t mind him changing his last name, the plan should be fine. My favorite option is also Oakwell!

I also like Oakwell best :slight_smile:

It’s not too outlandish. My family changed our last name when I was 12. When my Mom died, and my Dad picked out the marker, he had his old last name listed in parenthesis the same way her maiden name was. My sister loved that it looked like we made our own family instead of Mom just taking Dad’s name.

Our last name started with a Y, and at first we looked at names that started with the same letter, until my Dad declared that he was sick of being at the end of the alphabet, and wanted to be at the front! It actually makes a difference. They line you up alphabetically a lot in school. [name]Even[/name] at work, when they do our semi-annual reviews, they do them alphabetically. It’s nice getting things over with fast. :> I would choose something that’s familiar, but not too common. Our new name is a little too common, so there are a few dozen people out there with my exact same first and last name.

Interesting idea! I like Oakwell best, but [name]Lucas[/name] is a close second. :slight_smile:

Interesting…I don’t think I’d ever do it, but hey, it’s your decision! I definitely like Oakwell the best too!

I like Oakwell the best! Your kids probably won’t have any other kids with the last name in their class, and it’s also easy to spell and remember.

Definitely Oakwell!

Best of luck with your marriage, too!

I actually have friends who did exactly this.

In the end though, they smooshed two far back family surnames from either side of their family (e.g. Dent+wick=Dentwick)

That way, your child still takes some heritage from each of you?

Not strange at all – I have a couple of friends who’ve done this.

Oakwell is rather clunky, IMHO. I like [name]Wallace[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name].

Actually it’s quite common now! It’s a very modern thing to do! I couldn’t convince my fiance’ though so I’m stuck taking his since I have no connection to mine…

Of them all I think Oakwell is the one that sounds more like a last name. [name]Black[/name] can lend itself to problems when naming a kid, like what if you like the name [name]Forest[/name]? But [name]Forest[/name] [name]Black[/name] sounds horrid. [name]Wallace[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] are both boy names, they don’t seem like a surname.

I don’t think it’s all that strange to do. I think I’m going to say I like Oakwell best. [name]Wallace[/name] and [name]Black[/name] seem common, and when I think of [name]Lucas[/name] being a surname, I think of [name]George[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]. (not that it’s a bad thing)

Oakwell is a lovely surname! I’d definitely choose it!

My favorite is Oakwell.
I actually think that this is a nice idea! I feel like my last name is my last name. It’s part of my identity. I would never want to change it, and I feel my hypothetical future husband would feel the same way. The only problem with that is that I like the idea of a couple being united and sharing their last name. The only thing for me is that I would want the last name to have some kind of tie to my family or background or heritage, just something important to me. Did you guys do something like that?
But, all in all, good idea and I love Oakwell!

I actually thought of doing this just because his last name is actually a unisex first name too, and if we hyphenated it with my last name, it just wouldn’t sound right at all. My last name ends with T and his starts with T, and if you reverse the order, its my aunt’s name! So I have considered taking a different last name, but he refuses. So, I think I will just take his last name and put my maiden name in my middle name spot and just drop my middle name altogether. If I could choose a last name from scratch, I would totally pick something interesting and fantasy-esque. One I really like is Sedgewick. It makes me think of the color green and of an eccentric lady who has an expansive herb garden and makes interesting herbal potions and remedies. Plus I really like Arthur Sedgewick for a boy’s name and Amelia Sedgewick for a girl’s name.

Out of your list I really like Oakwell!

Never heard of this idea before, but it is kinda cool that youre starting a new family together, as long as his family isn’t offended by it. Oakwell is my favorite by far.

Sounds like a cool idea! A little out of the ordinary, but if you guys are both for it then why not?! I definitely cast my vote for Oakwell!

I’ve heard of other people making up surnames before when they get married. I think it’s neat, but personally don’t see taking his last name as archaic at all but to each their own.

I like Oakwell, and [name]Lucas[/name] a lot. [name]Lucas[/name] is very first namish to me, so Oakwell is more surname and my number one.

Cool idea! Oakwell sounds nice.

I love this idea! It’s brilliant. I would go with Oakwell, although I also like [name]Black[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name].

[name]Wallace[/name]…