Unique, spunky, strong meaning!

My husband and I are having the hardest time agreeing on any names! We’ve decided not to find out the sex, so we need to come up with two lists. DH would love an Irish name and I’m trying to love one, but it’s just not happening for me, with the exception of maybe Finnoula or [name]Tallulah[/name], which he doesn’t like.

Daughters are [name]Sage[/name] [name]Amara[/name] [name]Helen[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name] [name]Alana[/name] [name]Jill[/name] (nn [name]Lolo[/name]). I’m not sold on continuing the botanical theme, but both of these names have strong meanings/associations and the middle names are family names, so they’re all special to me. (He’s their stepdad).

Here are the names I threw at him that he agreed to:
[name]Oona[/name]–front runner right now
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]–I love the nn [name]Goldie[/name], although she’ll have black hair, while my other 2 are a blond and a redhead! Ironic nn…
I like them all. Is the floral theme out of hand, though??

Boys:
[name]Isai[/name]–I like it less and less every day

Other names I love that he either shot down or I haven’t run by him…
Girls:
[name]Tallulah[/name]/[name]Talula[/name]
[name]Bluebell[/name]–love!!
[name]Wren[/name]–love the nn Wrennie or even [name]Birdie[/name]
[name]Pax[/name]
[name]Plum[/name]–mn only. I’ve loved this for years but haven’t found anyone else who likes it!
[name]Calliope[/name]–probably mn only, but I like it more all the time
[name]Eula[/name] --but it’s our friends’ daughter’s name, so it’s unusable.
[name]Eulalie[/name]–mn only

Boys: we don’t agree on any!
[name]Taj[/name] is the only one I really love (he said no :frowning: )
[name]Sol[/name]–shot down as fn, but might work as mn for girl or boy. I’m due on the solstice :slight_smile:
[name]Rafi[/name]–not crazy about [name]Raphael[/name] or [name]Rafferty[/name], though…
[name]Rocco[/name]–okay, he hasn’t heard it yet
[name]Kahlo[/name]-I love [name]Frida[/name], but this is probably a guilty pleasure
I like short, strong boys’ names but with a soft side too, if that makes any sense?

He loves and I’m okay with:
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Fionn[/name] (rhymes with ln, so no)
Oushin (not sure of the spelling but we’d use the correct Irish spelling if we chose an Irish name)
[name]Aoife[/name] is one we both like but I’m not in love

Our grandfathers’ names were [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Walter[/name]. We were both very close to our grandfathers and would love to honor one or both of them, but haven’t decided on that yet. Loe is a nice name, maybe a little popular to use as a fn.

Right now I love [name]Oona[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name], but our last name is [name]Sheehan[/name] and I don’t know about the 2-2-2 syllables. I suggested it and he didn’t shoot it down. My other 2 have 2 middle names and I would be fine with adding a third name here to balance the rhythm.

Any good combos in there, or other suggestions? I feel like I’ve heard [name]EVERY[/name] name, especially boys’ names!

Thanks! :smiley:

[name]Oona[/name]: I think this name is really perfect with [name]Lotus[/name] and [name]Sage[/name].
[name]Iris[/name]: Ends the same as [name]Lotus[/name], but that might not be a problem for you.
[name]Magnolia[/name]: Great name but I think it’s too long next to [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name].

I don’t think the floral theme is out of hand and you could use other nature inspired names.

[name]Isai[/name]: I’m not sure how to pronounce this.

[name]Tallulah[/name]: [name]Love[/name]
[name]Bluebell[/name]: [name]Love[/name], but not as a fn.
[name]Wren[/name]- [name]Love[/name] with [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name]!
[name]Pax[/name]: [name]Don[/name]'t like this one, I see it more fitting on a little boy.
[name]Plum[/name]: I do love [name]Plum[/name].
[name]Calliope[/name]: This is fun and quirky.
[name]Eula[/name]: Your friend’s daughter already has this name. I think this one can be crossed off?
[name]Eulalie[/name]: Pretty.

[name]Favorite[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]

[name]Taj[/name]: This one’s really cool.
[name]Sol[/name]: He’d share same initials with [name]Sage[/name] and they’re both one syllable, idk. It is nice.
[name]Rafi[/name]: I don’t really like this.
[name]Rocco[/name]: I think this sounds like a dog.
[name]Kahlo[/name]: This is actually really cool too.
[name]Cormac[/name]: Really works with [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name].
[name]Fionn[/name]: [name]Don[/name]'t like.
Oushin: Can’t pronounce.
[name]Aoife[/name]: Isn’t this [name]Eva[/name]?

[name]Favorite[/name]
[name]Taj[/name]
[name]Kahlo[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]

Suggestions
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]June[/name]/[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Marin[/name]
[name]Pia[/name]
[name]Siri[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Roma[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Xena[/name]
[name]Clea[/name]
[name]Jada[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Posy[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Tuesday[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]/[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Enya[/name]
[name]Tea[/name]
[name]Rheya[/name]
[name]Toula[/name]
[name]Blaire[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Poet[/name]
[name]Kaia[/name]
[name]Mehta[/name]
[name]Vega[/name]
[name]Djuna[/name]
[name]Pilar[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Vida[/name]
[name]Phila[/name]
[name]Brin[/name]
[name]Deja[/name]
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Ever[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]

[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Hawthorne[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Ivo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]
[name]Calum[/name]
[name]Colm[/name]
[name]Fraser[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Noel[/name]
[name]Piers[/name]
[name]Roan[/name]
[name]Marek[/name]
[name]Cairo[/name]
[name]Rio[/name]
[name]Art[/name]
[name]Cosmo[/name]
[name]Django[/name]
[name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Philo[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Viggo[/name]
[name]Vito[/name]
[name]Forrest[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Joaquin[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Castor[/name]
[name]Trip[/name]
[name]Dante[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Denham[/name]
[name]Homer[/name]
[name]Indio[/name]
[name]Arbor[/name]
[name]Ansel[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Gabo[/name]
[name]Judd[/name]
Miro
[name]Turner[/name]
[name]Yves[/name]
[name]Baez[/name]
[name]Cale[/name]
[name]Brahm[/name]
[name]Benet[/name]
[name]Garth[/name]
Jabbo
[name]Kai[/name]
[name]Nash[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Forster[/name]
[name]Alcott[/name]
[name]Hammett[/name]
[name]Roth[/name]
[name]Thayer[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Axel[/name]
[name]Macon[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Wolf[/name]
Grayer
[name]Becker[/name]
[name]Crew[/name]
[name]Palmer[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Giles[/name]
[name]Rupert[/name]
Wolston
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Hiram[/name]
Morrow
[name]Ever[/name]
[name]Crimson[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Fifer[/name]
[name]Yarrow[/name]

[name]How[/name] about [name]Glen[/name] for a boy? It’s a nature name and Irish!

I love [name]Oona[/name] and think it’s great with your daughters’ names.

bedhead, wow, thank you for your reply! You have a lot of great names on your list!

You’re right about [name]Iris[/name], I don’t like the matching ending with [name]Lotus[/name].
Same with [name]Sol[/name] and [name]Sage[/name] being too similar with the S and single syllable.
I see what you mean about [name]Pax[/name] as a boy’s name. [name]Tom[/name] really doesn’t like it at all anyway. :frowning:
[name]Isai[/name] is pn ee-SIGH

I’m glad you like [name]Kahlo[/name]! I think it sounds great, too, and am going to run it by [name]Tom[/name] tonight. I also agree that [name]Cormac[/name] works with [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name]. Also, when I hear the girls say that name, it grows on me a little more each time.

I agree with both of your top picks for my fn, and would add [name]Tallulah[/name] to that list too.

Oushin is pn OO-shin and [name]Aoife[/name] is EE-fa. Oushin [name]Sheehan[/name] doesn’t work for me at all.

The names I really like from your list:
[name]Ruby[/name]–we recently had a dog with this name, though, so I don’t think it will work.
[name]Pia[/name]–cute! I actually considered this for a while, but [name]Pia[/name] [name]Sheehan[/name] just doesn’t have the ring I want.
[name]Siri[/name]-love! I added this to the list!
[name]Niamh[/name]–This is high on his list and is one we considered before I got pregnant. I like it but it just doesn’t feel right.
[name]Hazel[/name]–love! Might have to put this back on the list! It was atop 3 contender for my younger daughter.
[name]Clea[/name]–I love it as a nn, but I like [name]Cleo[/name] better. [name]Tom[/name] doesn’t like either one.
[name]Jada[/name]–love this! It’s getting popular now and I know a couple of kids with this name, so unfortunately it’s out.
[name]Posy[/name]–love this!
[name]Olive[/name]–love it and considered it for my younger daughter too, but I know too many Olivias for this to be usable for us
[name]Mila[/name]–I looove this and can totally picture it on an earthy, dark-haired little girl as well as on a woman. Unfortunately [name]Tom[/name] doesn’t like it. It’s secretly on my list and I’m going to bring it up again.
[name]Mira[/name]–see [name]Mila[/name]
[name]Tea[/name]–cute! I would say tee rather te-a.
[name]Toula[/name]–love it! Could be a great alternative to [name]Tallulah[/name], and it’s a form of [name]Tullia[/name], which is an Irish name. Great suggestion!

[name]Do[/name] you see any of these working with [name]Bluebell[/name] as mn?

[name]Ezra[/name]–Sometimes I love it and sometimes I don’t. I’ll have to keep it in mind.
[name]Arlo[/name]–like, don’t love it.
[name]Hawthorne[/name]–very cool! I don’t know if surnames are our style, but I really like this.
[name]Archer[/name]–I like it but boys’ names ending in -er or -en/an just turn me off anymore!
[name]Ivo[/name]–like this one
[name]Milo[/name]–[name]Love[/name] it! One of my first choices. [name]Tom[/name] shot it down immediately.
[name]Willem[/name]–I really like this, and love the nn [name]Will[/name], but not so much with [name]Sage[/name] and [name]Lotus[/name].
[name]Roan[/name]–I suggested it, [name]Tom[/name] doesn’t like it. (he shoots them down but doesn’t give me any back!)
[name]Cairo[/name]–love this name! We don’t have any connection to [name]Egypt[/name] or [name]Cairo[/name], though, so it seems kind of weird to use it.
[name]Otto[/name]–I really like this, but it’s my brother’s cat’s name
[name]Indigo[/name]–really like, for a boy or a girl. Maybe good mn choice!
[name]Yves[/name]–very cool for a girl or a boy! My best friend’s daughter is [name]Evelyn[/name], nn [name]Evie[/name], so I don’t think it works for us.

Boys’ names are really difficult. Other than [name]Taj[/name], I can’t find anything I really love.

Feisty, [name]Glen[/name] is a great suggestion! It sounds a little plain to me, but it’s on the right track. Thanks!

So now I have a slightly extended girls’ list and a few more names I’ll have to throw at [name]Tom[/name].
[name]Oona[/name]*
[name]Bluebell[/name]*
[name]Wren[/name]*
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Plum[/name] (mn)
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Siri[/name]
[name]Tea[/name]
[name]Toula[/name]*
[name]Hazel[/name]

[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Kahlo[/name]
[name]Joaquin[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] (mn)
and I haven’t given up hope that [name]Tom[/name] will come around to [name]Taj[/name]!

I feel a little better about my list! Any good combos in there, or other suggestions? I really appreciate it!

I love the combinations of [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lotus[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name]; and [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lotus[/name], and [name]Toula[/name] for girls. And then [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lotus[/name], and [name]Kahlo[/name] or [name]Sage[/name], [name]Lotus[/name], and [name]Cormac[/name] for boys.

As far as MNs go, I actually really like [name]Toula[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name], though it may be too rhymey for some. Other possibilities from your list are [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Niamh[/name] or even [name]Toula[/name] [name]Niamh[/name], and [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Mira[/name].

I’m glad I could help :slight_smile:

Now, my favorite for the boys are [name]Cormac[/name], [name]Kahlo[/name], and [name]Ezra[/name].
[name]Cormac[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]/[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] [name]Hawthorne[/name]/[name]Kahlo[/name]/[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Kahlo[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]/[name]Joaquin[/name]
[name]Taj[/name] [name]Willem[/name]

Girls, [name]Wren[/name], [name]Toula[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]Oona[/name].
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]/[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Toula[/name] [name]Calliope[/name]/[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Oona[/name] [name]Plum[/name]

[name]Just[/name] wanted to say I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Oona[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]. :slight_smile: Isn’t [name]Toula[/name] the name of the girl in My Big Fat Greek Wedding? I like it!

bedhead, great combos! Thanks!
I thought of another mn possibility, Townes. Our family loves Townes [name]Van[/name] Zandt. Most of our favorite times together as a family and a couple are cooking, drinking good beer and taking turns playing good music for each other. It’s what DH’s and my relationship was founded on. Townes [name]Van[/name] Zandt is always played, so using Townes would be meaningful to us.

wdyt of [name]Cormac[/name] Townes [name]Sheehan[/name]? First pick of fn and mn, but not the best combo to my ear…
[name]Kahlo[/name] Townes [name]Sheehan[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name] Townes [name]Sheehan[/name]–wdyt?? best, I think. I might be falling in love. [name]Ezra[/name] Pound, [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Jack[/name] [name]Keats[/name] (my littlest daughter’s favorite author!), Townes [name]Van[/name] Zandt…

Not sure if I’m brave enough to use it as a first name, but I really love it. Any good combos with Townes as a fn? Not sure what I think of Townes [name]Sheehan[/name]…

[name]Cormac[/name] [name]Indigo[/name] [name]Sheehan[/name]–This has great flow and [name]Cormac[/name] is DH’s top pick. We were talking about [name]Mac[/name]/[name]Max[/name] as nn today, which I love. I’m not sold, but it’s in the running…
[name]Ezra[/name] [name]Hawthorne[/name]/[name]Kahlo[/name]/[name]Willem[/name]–I think if we go with [name]Ezra[/name] I like Townes best!
[name]Kahlo[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]/[name]Joaquin[/name]–Looove both of these! [name]Kahlo[/name] is feeling more accessible the more I sit with it. I’d love to honor [name]Frida[/name].

[name]Taj[/name] [name]Willem[/name]–I’ll always love [name]Taj[/name], but I think DH has officially thrown it out. :frowning:

Girls…
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]/[name]Niamh[/name]–[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Niamh[/name] is so sweet and quirky! DH isn’t much of a fan of [name]Hazel[/name], but it’s not out yet…
[name]Toula[/name] [name]Calliope[/name]/[name]Niamh[/name]–[name]Toula[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] is awesome!
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]–DH only thinks of DJ [name]Wren[/name] from NWA when he hears [name]Wren[/name], so I think it’s out. :frowning: I hate to see it go!!
[name]Oona[/name] [name]Plum[/name]–Adorable! This is on my list right next to [name]Oona[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]. Can’t decide which I love more, although the nn for [name]Bluebell[/name] can’t be beat. [name]Blue[/name] (fav nn ever!), [name]Bell[/name], BB

greyer, I love the alliteration in [name]Toula[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]! [name]Toula[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] [name]Sheehan[/name] is awesome.
[name]Toula[/name] [name]Niamh[/name] sounds great too! Thanks! Adding this one to my list. :slight_smile: I think DH might really like this.

Blueberri, I agree, [name]Oona[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] and [name]Toula[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] are both beautiful!