Unisex names

When you hear a name, do you automatically associate it with a boy or a girl? If so, what is the reason for the association? For example- I know a lot of people like the name [name]Logan[/name] for a girl, but I have only known boys with that name. Plus, I’m nerd, so I also think of [name]Wolverine[/name] from X-men.

Depends on the name usually pop culture influences the names for certain genders. [name]Logan[/name] as your example I too think of X-Men but I adore ti on a girl. I think unisex.

Mostly, I’ll automatically go to boy, because I just love unisex names on boys! Anything semi-ambiguous sounds so handsome on a boy to me! [name]Bailey[/name]? Boy. [name]Avery[/name]? Boy. [name]Emerson[/name]? Boy. [name]Lake[/name]? Boy. [name]Jordan[/name]? Boy. [name]Riley[/name]? Boy. [name]Logan[/name]? Boy. [name]Spencer[/name]? Boy. [name]Elliot[/name]? Boy. [name]Jude[/name]? Boy. [name]Aubrey[/name]? Boy. [name]Ezra[/name]? Boy. [name]Grayson[/name]? Boy. [name]Shiloh[/name]? Boy. [name]Rhys[/name]/[name]Reese[/name]? Boy. [name]Reagan[/name]? Boy… I’m sure you see the picture. :slight_smile:

There are a few unisex names I like on girls, though–[name]Harper[/name], [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Eden[/name], [name]Willow[/name], and [name]Jocelyn[/name] are my favorites, but I also like [name]Addison[/name] on a girl and don’t mind [name]Morgan[/name] on girls, either. Surprisingly, I absolutely love [name]Harper[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] on both genders. At the moment, though, I lean toward girl for [name]Harper[/name] and boy for [name]Addison[/name]. Tomorrow, that could totally change, lol.

I “categorize” names based on its history, people I know, and the sound of it. It’s kind of hard to explain but I posted in the thread with a list of “unisex” names with some reasons. I generally like names on their intended gender and really don’t like popular boy names on girls ([name]Logan[/name] would fall into that). There are some exceptions, and that’s usually because I have only ever seen it on females.

I love blurred gender lines, so in general I wait to know to assume gender. I still have a preference as to how I would use it, but I really don’t mind seeing names go either way. I love [name]Thomas[/name] on a girl and [name]Lilly[/name] on a boy (although I wouldn’t ever use it because the poor boy would be teased to death). I’m pretty whatever, heh.

Generally speaking, I’d assume a child named [name]Elliot[/name]/[name]Spencer[/name]/[name]William[/name] for example,was male because those names are historically male names. I just can’t imagine hearing names like that and thinking “girl”. I don’t view many names as being unisex generally speaking. I think there was much more of a culture in the USA of giving daughters surnames as firstnames historically speaking,and most surnames have a masculine ring to them. There hasn’t really been a similar culture in the UK so I find some of the names being used for girls, such as [name]Spencer[/name] really jarring.