“Unofficially” give two middle names?

Has anyone “unofficially” given a child two middle names?

For example, we both really like the combo [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u], but my husband is against putting two middle names on a birth certificate because he believes it is a nightmare anytime the child has to apply for things when they are older.

Would it be absolutely ridiculous to put [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] on a birth certificate, but “claim” (I don’t know what to call it? :woman_shrugging:) [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] as his name, like when announcing birth and introducing him and such?

1 Like

I know a few older gentleman whose birth certificate says something like [name_m]Donald[/name_m] J. [name_m]Smith[/name_m] but their middle name was really [name_m]Donald[/name_m] [name_m]Jason[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] according to their mother…

So yes I think you can do that

1 Like

Speaking as someone with two legal middle names… having two names on my legal documents has never (I’m not exaggerating—literally never!) been an issue. Documentation rarely minds middles. It usually just asks for the initial. And when it does ask for the full name, it’s easy to type/write both. Sometimes they don’t fit all the way (they’re long), but that’s never been a problem.

I say go for both names on the birth certificate! I absolutely love having two middle names. It feels special, and they’re both so beloved to me and to my family.

18 Likes

Hmmm… I wouldn’t do it but I don’t see why not, besides that maybe it would be confusing for the kid?

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the biggest deal to leave the second middle out of the birth certificate.

Honestly, many in my circles give legal names on the birth certificates, but for all intents and purposes they use their religious names everywhere (except the dr, dentist etc.) and it really doesn’t matter much what’s on the birth certificate.

My cousin has two middle names and it has never been a problem. Your son might find he may be limited to only one of his middle names if he enters the military (my cousin’s name for everything else in life is Dᴀvɪd Ɛᴀrl Pᴀtrɪck R___, but for the military it is Dᴀvɪd Ɛᴀrl R___).

1 Like

I’d use both names and they sound so good together! What about doing one middle name with a double-barrelled name?

Well, you could, but I don’t really see the point to be honest. How often do you introduce your child by first and middle names? For the birth announcement, sure, but otherwise? If you need to enroll them in school etc you need official documents, and those would only mention one middle name.

I don’t think having two middles is such an issue for paperwork, but I think we live in different parts of the world, so I can’t be sure if that’s true where you live. Anyway, it would seem plenty of people have more than one middle, so it can’t be that disastrous surely.

1 Like

Writing the word [name_u]Finch[/name_u] on a few forms is hardly a nightmare. [name_f]Do[/name_f] it!

2 Likes

You definitely could - I can’t imagine anyone’s going to be looking at his birth certificate - but I don’t think two middles is that much of a hassle, especially if one is as short as [name_u]Finch[/name_u] is. [name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] is a lovely name by the way!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter has two middle names and this is tradition within my family the majority of people have two middle names no one has encountered any issues. I would honestly just have [name_u]Finch[/name_u] on the birth certificate it will not result in any problems!

[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] is super handsome :palm_tree:

[name_f]My[/name_f] second middle name was legally “unofficial” until I was an adult, so yes it’s 100% possible but it’ll just be easier for your kid to go ahead and put both on there if you’re going to say they have two. Most documents (in the US) only let you put one a lot of the time anyway, so the second one might as well be “unofficial” except when it comes to government documentation :woman_shrugging:

Honestly though, growing up with two middles but really only having one was confusing for me, and my parents felt the same way your husband does which
is why they legally left it off. But it was my name and I wanted to be able to add it legally onto documents (like my college diploma, ect.), so when I got married I added it so I didn’t have to pay to change it. So from personal experience I say either add the second middle legally or leave it off completely, I wouldn’t wobble anywhere close to leaving it off but telling your kid and others that’s his name. It can and has been done, but it’s a whole lot more confusing for everyone than dealing with the “hassle” of a second middle name (which, imo, is not that bad)

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] children have 3 middle names and it has never been an issue.

Seconding this! I used my maiden name as a second middle when I got married specifically because it wouldn’t be an issue. I rarely have to out any middle name on anything, other than really important documents like legal stuff. It’s so rare that I’ve never had an issue with it.

That being said, I also don’t think it’d be a problem either if he informally had a second middle name. No one would really know except for him and you guys unless you tell people.