Unpopular opinions [Name edition]

I didn’t explain this very well so I’ll try again.

What’s one naming thing/name that people love but you hate or vice versa eg.

I love [name_u]Everett[/name_u] for a girl
I hate [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
I love place names
I hate [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]

Comment below if you have any like this!

• [name_m]Son[/name_m] names. Like [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_f]Alison[/name_f], [name_u]Carson[/name_u], [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_u]Mason[/name_u]. I just don’t get the big deal with those, and most of them I hate. There are just a select few I find okay.

I hate [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Darcie[/name_f], [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], and [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f].
Well, hate is probably too strong a word by far, because I can see appeal in all of these names – while I can appreciate them on other peoples’ lists, I just can’t love them for myself.

I also love the name [name_f]Hephzibah[/name_f].

I love the name [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], but I hate the spellings [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and [name_m]Jaxson[/name_m].

I don’t like the names [name_f]Scarlet/name_f, [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]/[name_u]Haley[/name_u]/[name_f]Hayley[/name_f], [name_f]Gretel[/name_f], [name_m]Cole[/name_m], [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_m]Nolan[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], or [name_m]Kurt[/name_m].

I’m personally wouldn’t use occupation names or names from mythology.

While those threads are sometimes quite “enjoyable”, can we stop using the word “hate” as there might be people with those names reading the comments or people who have children with those names.
“Dislike” is more appropriate in this case, I think.

Here are mine:

• I’m not fond of boys’ names on girls that includes [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], [name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_u]Joey[/name_u], etc. and all the Mc- and -son names.
  • Modern word names (save flower names) are not for me
  • Occupational word (sur)names are not my style, especially not on girls
  • [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] still reminds me of the tv show even though I never watched it
  • [name_u]Hunter[/name_u], [name_m]Gunner[/name_m], etc. are all way to violent for my taste
  • [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a middle name has become very bland to me

I just can’t get down with all the “olive” names. [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f], Olivera I saw recently…I just don’t get it. I mean I love olives the food, but I don’t understand why [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is so big right now, it seems very random to me. This goes for [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] also, which just makes me think of the number eight.

I agree with above commenters about the -son names. I’ve never found one I like that I can think of, for either girls or boys.

I also just do not get the affinity on this site for the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]. (Watching [name_m]Hercules[/name_m] as a kid made me associate that name really strongly with a donkey and it’s just forever stuck in my brain that way, but I’m not fond of the sound of it regardless.)

I really, seriously, truly don’t get the appeal of the majority of the name berry favorite boy names. These are names that I see mentioned again and again and again, names that everyone except me seems to love. Names like [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m], [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Archer[/name_m], etc. No thanks. I wouldn’t even consider any of those as possibilities. The girl name berry favorites aren’t much better. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]? Pass.

I’ll stick with my ‘boring/don’t use that it’s too popular’ names for both boys and girls.

I love that LavenderLullabies ^ used [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] in her favorite names list. :facepunch: I love the name [name_u]Jensen[/name_u] for a little girl. I’ve never met a [name_u]Jensen[/name_u] and can’t convince anyone else to like it ~ even a little!

I love that people are more accepting of, and willing to usenames, that are a bit unusual. I love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] and love that is has so many nn possibilities - [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], too.

I dislike it that I thought I found a unique name for my son, [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] (to go with our super common last name), at the same time others “discovered” it. Yet, I dislike it that it fell from the number one spot. :disappointed:

I dislike the name [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], too, and [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. (I love [name_f]Claire[/name_f], though.) I just have negative associations for those names. I dislike it when little girls have first and middle names that are both masculine.

I don’t see the appeal of [name_m]Archer[/name_m], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Archie[/name_m], and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. I learned to really like [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], but still dislike [name_f]Olive[/name_f].

I love [name_u]McKinley[/name_u]/McKinli for a girl, but hate what my husband said that boys would say about a girl with that name (mount). I dislike it when people complicate names that end in “lee” with “leigh” - but don’t mind it when “y” endings are changed to “i”. I dislike spellings that seem like mistakes or, I hate to say, “uneducated.”

I love it that we can exchange ideas about names that we love and really dislike here without hurt feelings. So what if others don’t love [name_u]Jensen[/name_u], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], and [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] ~ I do!!

For me it’s not a name or group of names, but what I’ve said when it comes to name changes. For example, someone once said that the courts tend to look down on the idea of c. 18-year-olds changing their name. Stating the facts on how the name change process (in the U.S.) works, I said that the court’s job is not to judge the wisdom of one’s chosen name but rather to ensure that someone doesn’t change their name for illegal or fraudulent purposes (e.g. hiding a criminal history or evading debts). If anything that means that a court would be more (not less) likely to grant a name change to someone who just recently turned 18 than someone older (since it’s unlikely that someone who just became an adult would be trying to cover up anything as I mentioned in the last sentence). Changing your name at 18 (or even earlier with parental permission) also means that your birth name is much less likely to pop up in places like credit reports, job references, etc. (which is especially important in cases like transgender-based name changes because of discrimination reasons - therefore whenever someone asks about changing a transgender child’s name I say go ahead and do it if the questions on transitioning and name choice have been finalized, and don’t make them wait until they’re older to make their right-gender name legal if they plan on living as their target gender anyway).

Having said that, I don’t think that anyone should legally change their name on a whim, but I don’t like it when people try and stretch the facts behind the legal process to dissuade someone from changing their name.

I hate the name [name_f]Isabella[/name_f].

I hate the names [name_m]Declan[/name_m] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], those seem to be everywhere lately. Also I can’t stand it when people give girls first and middle names ending in A. Ex. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Liana[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] sounds much better.

I have gotten alot of negative feedback on the name [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]. Including in real life and that has made me push it to the middle spot. :frowning:

I really dislike a lot of masculine, surname names on girls, yet I like names for boys that have more of a feminine sound or tend to be used more for girls ([name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Amory[/name_u], [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u], [name_u]Dara[/name_u], [name_u]Jules[/name_u], [name_u]Rory[/name_u], etc).

I think this is just a Nameberry unpopular opinion (because it seems like the rest of the world is fine with it, given its popularity), but I actually don’t mind the -aidan trend. I can understand why it would be annoying when you have hundreds of different variants of essentially the same name, but I still like [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and wish it wasn’t so popular. I also liked [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] once upon a time, but that was a way long time ago, when I was in middle school. Back when the only person I knew who used the name [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] was [name_f]Britney[/name_f] Spears :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mind [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] because it’s a legitimate name with history. [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], and even [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], aren’t super terrible, but I’m not that fond of them either.

But when you start getting to [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_m]Raiden[/name_m], [name_u]Kayden[/name_u], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m], Xaiden, etc it’s time to stop. What’s next? Kabraizdyn?

I actually like: [name_u]Braeden[/name_u], [name_m]Cain[/name_m], [name_f]Omega[/name_f], [name_f]Friday[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Bebe[/name_f]
Cannot stand: [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Ezra[/name_m], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_u]Carmen[/name_u], [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], [name_m]Timothy[/name_m], [name_f]Dolores[/name_f], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], [name_f]Coco[/name_f]

A lot of people say [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is overused, but a good fraction of the users on this site seem to have [name_f]Isla[/name_f] in their signatures. Sorry, I just really can’t stand the name. It might be due to the popularity, but I don’t like the look or sound of it in the first place.

I dislike [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] for similar reasons. Also, it feels like the stock shirtless-heartthrob-on-the-cover-of-a-supernatural-romance-novel name.

[name_m]Cain[/name_m] and [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]: As a writer, I want to revolutionize names associated with horrible, one-dimensional biblical characters by creating more relatable associations to hopefully dissolve the stigma over time. I love the idea of a basically good but envious boy named [name_m]Cain[/name_m] who learns to overcome his flaws. (Plus, I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a beautiful name.)

I dislike [name_u]Keegan[/name_u] and [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] ,strongly.

Dislike [name_m]Declan[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] along with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

Gender neutral like [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] I like and things change [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] was once male so things change but now I don’t always know the gender by the name.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] this last week I had a hunch that some of the celebrities had girls even the names they selected were originally more male.Sure enough I checked and both had girls.So I have some mixed feelings there.

@briarblossom I think you got [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] mixed up, [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] has never been a male name while [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u] has been exclusively male until the 1970s.

I love [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], traditionally masculine, for a boy
I hate [name_u]James[/name_u] - it’s got to be the most common, stardard, watered-down boy name at the moment
I love effeminate boy names (e.g - [name_f]Shirley[/name_f], [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_u]Meredith[/name_u], [name_f]Jocelyn[/name_f], [name_u]Kimberly[/name_u] etc.)
I hate [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]