Unspoken MN Rule

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] All!
Hubby and I are having a disagreement. He thinks there’s this unspoken rule that middle names have to be family names. What is everyone’s opinions on this? We just found out we are expecting baby #2 and I’ve always had family names picked out for middles: [name_m] Russell[/name_m] and [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. However I love the name [name_u]Blake[/name_u] for a girl or a boy. He doesn’t like [name_u]Blake[/name_u] as a first name so I would love to use as a middle name. Please let me know what you all think. [name_f]TIA[/name_f]!!

I’m not a big fan of direct honours so for me, I don’t think middles need to be family names at all.
You could always do a double middle to get [name_u]Blake[/name_u] in though, so both you are your husband get what you want

I definitely don’t think middle names have to be honor names. It’s nice if you want to, but I never thought of it as a rule. I have an honor name (first and middle) but that’s just what my parents liked. Neither of my parents have honor names to my knowledge, and my sister doesn’t either.

In my family all middle names are honor names. It’s important to us that we honor our grandparents, parents, family friends, etc.

It really just depends on your family and if it’s important to you that you honor a person. I don’t think you have to at all. But if you did want to honor them and not use their name then you can use a different name that you like that has a meaning that connects to that person. Something like that. Or you could always have two middle names: one honor and on that you just like (like [name_u]Blake[/name_u]).

All in all, I do think that there is that unspoken middle name rule.

I think this depends on the person/family. For some, it’s tradition or otherwise very meaningful. For me personally, I like the idea of family names in the middle but I am also not so tied that idea that I wouldn’t choose a different name that I liked better over a family name.

If this were an unspoken rule then myself and alot of people I know didn’t get the memo.

I have no intention of using any family names but if it’s something you want to do then maybe consider two middles as others have suggested.

Middles dont need to be honour names, but that’s definitely how I intend to do it. You could use [name_u]Blake[/name_u] as a second d middle, or you could let it go. There will likely be many names one of you likes and the other doesn’t

I do plan to use family names but I certainly don’t think it’s something that you have to do.

I agree with the suggestion that you could use two middle names.

I don’t think middle names have to honour anyone unless you want to. My boys each have a middle to honour and one we just loved, my daughter has no honour names. I think that’s a very personal decision and if there is someone important to you whose name you would want to use, great. But I don’t think you should have to feel pressured to do so, or to do so with every child. If I were you, I would do two middle names, and use [name_u]Blake[/name_u] as one of them, as a compromise with your husband. But if there isn’t anyone to honour, that’s fine too. Middle names, to me, have always been another option for a child to use should they not like their first name. So that’s the unspoken rule around here.