Unsure about bby girl name!?

Hello, I’m having a tough time figuring out what to name my second daughter who is due on Feb 13th. I have came across quite a few names but recently I’ve been loving the name MELANIE. [name_f]My[/name_f] issue is the meaning of the name which is “dark, black” which seems like it can be a bit negative. I’m a big believer on carrying the trait of the name and that’s not what I want for her. Idk cause I’m so loving the name [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] ([name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is the middle name) but Idk. I also like the name [name_f]Mia[/name_f] & [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. Any opinions on the name [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]? Much appreciated.

2 Likes

I really love [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]! I think it’s such a pretty name and [name_u]Lanie[/name_u] and [name_u]Mel[/name_u] are great nicknames! One idea for how you could keep the same combo is to change the spelling of [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] to [name_u]Brook[/name_u]. That way the meaning could be interpreted as “dark brook,” which I think is pretty. [name_f]Melody[/name_f] is another similar name with a pretty meaning. [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] are also very nice. I do think I prefer [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] though. Other similar names are [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]. Good luck and congratulations on your little girl! :grin:

1 Like

I am a big believer in energies. I have had difficulty for similar things in the past with realising a name just is never going to be usable for me. For example the name [name_f]Lola[/name_f], to me is aesthetically perfect but its meaning is just so negative… “Sorrows.”
I would completely abstain from giving your child a name that carries negative energies. As those energies may be implanted into your child either subconsciously or literally, just not worth the risk for me. There are other attractive [name_u]Mel[/name_u] names with positive meanings though, for example [name_f]Melody[/name_f] is very pretty and positive.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’m a fan of [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] but I personally wouldn’t let the meaning bother you. And anyway, it’s society that has ascribed negative qualities to the colour black; there’s nothing inherently wrong with it. If anything, when I see that meaning I imagine beautiful dark skin.

In saying that, I much prefer the name [name_f]Maya[/name_f]. It feels fresher and more contemporary to me, and quite spunky as well.

2 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]. It is on my forever list. I first heard it when I read the book “Gone with the Wind”. In the book [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] is the second female character after [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] was a very strong person who cared for people, stood up for those she loved (even when they really didn’t deserve it) and fought for causes. In the book [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] did all this even when she was not a strong person physically. As far as character and personality went, she far outshone [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] as a likeable person. I think in the film [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] de [name_f]Havilland[/name_f] captured [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]’s character very well. I think you can’t go wrong with [name_f]Melanie[/name_f].

3 Likes

I know a [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] with beautiful dark hair and eyebrows, who is radiant inside and out. And the other Melanies I know of are lovely characters. The meaning isn’t necessarily negative… we wouldn’t see any stars without a “dark, black” night sky!

3 Likes

I don’t personally think of dark in the context of [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] to be bad/negative; rather my head goes to melanin, so I think of dark features like black hair, deep brown eyes, or deep skin tones.
But even that’s only of we’re already thinking about the meaning- most of the time when I hear [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] I just think of other people I know named [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]. It’s a very familiar name and I imagine many people know or have known a [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] at some point in their life. Those relationships are probably going to be more on someone’s radar than name etymology.

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], and I don’t necessarily think there’s anything bad about dark or black either. Everything has a context I think dark hair and eyes are gorgeous, and also I’ve kinda goth forever.

Melanie [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is a super cute name

1 Like

Melanie is beautiful and elegant. You could look at the name and think about the nights sky instead of doom.

4 Likes

I agree with this! Something being dark or black is not inherently negative. I do think meanings are important, and if it meant “bitter” or “blind” I would be hesitant. But I think the connotation of the night sky or dark hair is lovely!

Melanie is also a beautiful name. I like that it’s far less common than Mia, which actually does mean “bitter” (or “mine” in some languages). Maya is very pretty too, but I like that Melanie is softer and feels a little more substantial. Melanie Brooke is a really adorable combo. I like the meaning of brook, but with the Brooke spelling (it has the same meaning either way I think). One important thing to note though is that Maya means “water,” so if you were to go with Maya Brooke it would be a bit redundant in terms of meaning.

What matters most is definitely how you feel about it, so if you can’t get pass the meaning, then it might not be the best choice. It just depends on if it feels right to you. Beet of luck deciding!

3 Likes

Melanie is pretty, and I don’t put much thought into meanings honestly. [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] sounds really nice! I do like the suggestion of [name_f]Melody[/name_f] though!

1 Like

Melanie is beautiful. I think you could take the full name’s meaning. A dark, black creek can be a beautiful, steady thing. It’s nice imagery, I think.

2 Likes

Melanie is a stunning choice! I adore it :smiley: [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] would be fabulous! While it does have a bit of an odd meaning, I’ve never took it to be negative - I think of it more as “dark and mysterious” than anything else!

I do like [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Maya[/name_f] as well, but if you don’t love them as much as you do [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], then I would stick with what you love :slight_smile:

1 Like

Melanie [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is really cool and there aren’t a whole lot of young Melanies right now so I think it’s really fun

1 Like

Melanie is such a well-known name (in the USA) that I think less people will consider it’s original meaning and are more likely to associate the name with a person or celebrity they know ( for me, [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] immediately brings to mind images of the Spice Girls). Similar sounding names that would also work with the middle name [name_u]Brooke[/name_u].

Milan/ [name_f]Milana[/name_f]
[name_f]Maelynn[/name_f]/Maelin
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]/Melodie
[name_f]Melina[/name_f]

1 Like

I am in the exact name problem!

Melanie [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is pretty & I kove both names. :slight_smile:

The meaning is unfortunate, I agree. [name_f]Melody[/name_f]? That doesn’t work for me because I want the nn [name_f]Lani[/name_f] but maybe for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Melanie [name_u]Brooke[/name_u] is a lovely name (and I like it best of your options).

I see dark as a positive - mysterious, deep, interesting, unexpected, meaningful - rather than lightweight, superficial, easily known, obvious. When I consider name meanings I am drawn towards names like this. So, I think there’s nothing wrong with the name or the meaning, just perhaps how you are approaching it.

2 Likes

I totally agree!

Agree! That is another way to look at it. Thank you! :heart:

1 Like

Well thank you! I love how everyone is giving me another way to look at the meaning of the name, it’s truly appreciated!

2 Likes