Unusual names (or, at least, less usual)

These names aren’t normally listed amongst my favourites, but I’ve been trying to expand my list and was wondering what people think of the following names for girls…honesty please…I won’t be offended as they aren’t top of my list…yet!

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Coco[/name_f]
[name_f]Electra[/name_f]
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f]
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f]
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Priya[/name_f]
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]
[name_f]Unity[/name_f]
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_u]Yael[/name_u]
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u]

I really love:
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Electra[/name_f]

I really like:
[name_f]Priya[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]

These are okay:
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]

The rest are not my style at all.

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] - go to [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], then we can have a chat about this one.
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - quite lovely, really soft and lush.
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - beautiful, independent - one of the names on my survivalist [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f] list.
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]. I can talk about my love for [name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] all day long. It’s utterly gorgeous. PM me if you need more convincing. :wink:
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - cute!
[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - makes me think of [name_f]Chanel[/name_f], but that’s a good thing! [name_f]Love[/name_f] this, so adorable and chic.
[name_f]Electra[/name_f] - beautiful and selfsufficient.
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - flannel? flattery?
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - adore! awesome Norse [name_f]Goddess[/name_f] who loves all things good (cats, feathers, flowers and her husband).
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f] - sounds like something internal… in your body
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] - beautiful, romantic and tough.
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f] - I’m not sure… I love holidays, but as a name? [name_f]Holly[/name_f]'s a cute nn though.
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] - …? Sure about this, sweetie?
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] - This is so beautiful, and I dig the lady in the Bible - best person in that book and horribly misunderstood.
[name_f]Noor[/name_f] - spy!!! which makes it awesome. A short beauty, and I love the double o spelling.
[name_f]Priya[/name_f] - Nasal and whiney.
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - not on a girl, [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]… no no no no.
[name_f]Unity[/name_f] - I do not like this one.
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u] - It’s kind of pretty. And kind of ugly too.
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - cute and watery. Very sweet, and… [name_m]Westley[/name_m] and [name_f]Buttercup[/name_f]'s daughter!
[name_u]Yael[/name_u] - pretty and tough!
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u] - No, just no. Yard-sale, back yard…

agxobsessed - Thanks for your comments :slight_smile:

ottilie - Hehe, don’t worry, I’m just testing the waters! It’s highly unlikely I’ll ever use any of these names for a daughter! I was just wondering what people think and expecting some of them (i.e. [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] and [name_u]Spencer[/name_u]) to receive very little love :wink:

I love:
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]

I like
[name_u]Yael[/name_u]

Only one I’m not fond of is [name_f]Jamaica[/name_f]
(in the context I can see [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] nn [name_f]Holly[/name_f] as as spunky name)

I’ve split them into names I think would make decent names and those that I dislike/don’t think would work well:

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - I quite like, but it seems very masculine to me, perhaps because of the visable similarity to [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m].
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - NMS but ok.
[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - It’s what I drink before bed :confused: It’s not horrendous though.
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - All right
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] - It’s really grown on me recently. I’d quite like to meet a little Guin :slight_smile:
[name_f]Noor[/name_f] - I don’t like the sound but it’s an ok name.
[name_f]Priya[/name_f] - Ditto above.
[name_f]Electra[/name_f] - I dislike it. But it could work.
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u] - [name_m]Simpson[/name_m] woman is my primary association. But there’s
[name_u]Yael[/name_u] - I was going to leave this in the other category, however I think it’d be nice as a MN.

Dislike:

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] - Well at least it’s not [name_u]Glasgow[/name_u] :stuck_out_tongue: But I really can’t see this as a given name. It’s too tied to the place and doesn’t lend itself easily to the world of baby names. I mean, [name_f]India[/name_f] and [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] sound like names but [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] is just… [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u].
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] - Always sounds to me like someone mispronouncing [name_f]Atlanta[/name_f].
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - Honestly, my first thought was ‘bellend’.
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - Sounds like it should be an adjective. Flan, flattery, flannel, fanny… I see too many words in it as well.
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f] - Would get confused with [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u]/[name_u]Chelsea[/name_u]. The ‘Gel’ sound isn’t pretty to my ears.
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f] - Oh, not word names. [name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Holly[/name_f] is fine!
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] - Same as [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u]. Too much of a place.
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] - Her reputation will precede her.
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - Boy name (…over here. Perhaps different in [name_m]Oz[/name_m], à la [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]?)
[name_f]Unity[/name_f] - The ‘nit’ bit is irritating me.
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - Never heard of it before NB and I’ve disliked it intensely since I found it.
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] doesn’t sound at all attractive or name-like.

If I’m being brutally honest, I’d say that only [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] give off the same vibe as the names in your signature. And to make up for being harsh, I’ll say that I adore almost every name in your sig already and they all work magnificently together :wink:

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] has family meaning for us, not the [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f], and we were just discussing using this as a middle name.

I can see the attraction of [name_f]Holiday[/name_f], even though personally it would not be a name that I would use.

I like [name_u]Spencer[/name_u], for a boy.

[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] is close to my late grandma’s maiden name and is a name that goes off and on my list.

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] - not pretty

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - meh

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - awesome

[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] - lovely and powerful, wouldn’t use it in the U.S., though, haha

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - meh

[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - maybe bit too cutesy

[name_f]Electra[/name_f] - awesome

[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - too much like flannel

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - awesome (can you tell I adore mythological names?)

[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f] - what?

[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] - awesome

[name_f]Holiday[/name_f] - hmm…maybe is she is born on one?

[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] - not a good place name

[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] - the association doesn;t bother me I just don’t really like the name

[name_f]Noor[/name_f] - meh

[name_f]Priya[/name_f] - like

[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - nope

[name_f]Unity[/name_f] - nice virtue name, love the “u”

[name_u]Wallis[/name_u] - no

[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - no

[name_u]Yael[/name_u] - lovely

[name_u]Yardley[/name_u] - no

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u]- a little masculine for my tastes
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]- when I was little (I’ve always been a name nerd), I liked this name for a boy. I still like it, but I’m not sure how I feel about it for a girl.
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]- lovely. I had a classmate in HS with the name. I’m unsold on how this plays in real life (she wasn’t exactly popular by any stretch of the imagination).
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f]- not a fan.
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]- wasn’t a fan until I started watching Scandal and realized Bellamy Young is a rockstar and also super smart (she studied at both [name_u]Yale[/name_u] and [name_m]Oxford[/name_m]). I might have a girl crush on her now, in addition to [name_u]Kerry[/name_u] [name_m]Washington[/name_m].
[name_f]Coco[/name_f]- think it’s super cute. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] namesake ([name_f]Coco[/name_f] [name_f]Chanel[/name_f]). My cousin’s daughter is named [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] but goes by [name_f]Coco[/name_f] (because her brother couldn’t pronounce her name) so I think it’s adorable.
[name_f]Electra[/name_f]- it’s a little superhero for me
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u]- O’[name_m]Connor[/name_m]. Not that that’s a bad thing.
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]- lovely… but it also reminds me of the lingerie brand for busty ladies
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f]- sounds made up
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]- nms personally. too [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] for me.
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f]- like but don’t love it. It gives me “[name_f]Holly[/name_f] Golightly” + “[name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]” all at once, so for me the name is pure homage to Ms. Hepburn (which is cute), but I’m not totally sold on it
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f]- no
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f]- it’s cute but given the cultural symbolism of the name, I’m not sure it’s a great choice
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]- awesome namesake
[name_f]Priya[/name_f]- pretty & exotic
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u]- I like the homage to [name_f]Diana[/name_f] (I assume?). Not keen on using such a blatantly masculine name on a girl unless it’s also a family name though.
[name_f]Unity[/name_f]- not a fan
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u]- another great namesake
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]- meh
[name_u]Yael[/name_u]- very cool
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u]- very prep school.

I love, love [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_u]Yael[/name_u] and [name_f]Noor[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] gorgeous is [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Noor[/name_f]?! [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] is a guilty pleasure for me. The way it’s used as a synonym for harlot (however inaccurate and unfortunate that is) makes it unusable, however.

Like or love:

[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Coco[/name_f]
[name_f]Electra[/name_f]
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] - dislike
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - love
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - guilty pleasure name, prefer [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f]
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] - love, but would be constantly confused with [name_f]Atlanta[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - dislike
[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - dislike
[name_f]Electra[/name_f]- guilty pleasure name
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - dislike
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - meh
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f] - [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]LOVE[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] - like, but juuuust crosses the line into “too much” for me
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f] - dislike
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] - hate
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] - hate
[name_f]Noor[/name_f] - like
[name_f]Priya[/name_f] - like
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - like for a boy
[name_f]Unity[/name_f] - dislike
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u] - like
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - dislike
[name_u]Yael[/name_u] - dislike
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u] - hate

I personally wouldn’t use [name_f]Noor[/name_f] or [name_f]Priya[/name_f]. I think those are so easily identifiable as popular names of a certain culture, it might come off as a little disrespectful and a tad imperialistic to use them for someone outside of those cultures.

[name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] - some place names work, I don’t think this one does
[name_u]Adair[/name_u] - nms but as someone else’s name I love it. The ending ‘air’ makes it feel light and, well, airy
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u] - love it! I could never imagine it on a actual person until I met an [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] and it definitely works
[name_f]Atalanta[/name_f] - not sure what I think of this
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] - has a nice sound, but it’s only a surname to me
[name_f]Coco[/name_f] - just sounds like a ‘pet name’
[name_f]Electra[/name_f] - very pretty, I love this name
[name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - as someone mentioned it sounds like flannel, also very surnamey (I generally don’t like surnames as firsts though)
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - love this name so much! it’s very pretty and has a lovely meaning
[name_f]Gelsey[/name_f] - I like that it means flower, but not so keen on the sound (reminds me of [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] and [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u] which I really don’t like)
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f] - great name, sounds lovely and has cute nn options like [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]
[name_f]Holiday[/name_f] - doesn’t sound like a name
[name_f]Jamaica[/name_f] - again, doesn’t really sound like a name
[name_f]Jezebel[/name_f] - has bad associations so definite teasing potential, I also don’t like how it sounds
[name_f]Noor[/name_f] - nice meaning
[name_f]Priya[/name_f] - lovely meaning, lovely sound, pretty name :slight_smile:
[name_u]Spencer[/name_u] - i don’t mind it on a boy, but don’t like it on a girl
[name_f]Unity[/name_f] - not really a fan of virtue names and [name_f]Unity[/name_f] sounds less like a name than [name_f]Faith[/name_f] or [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (probably because of their familiarity)
[name_u]Wallis[/name_u] - not a fan
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u] - i suppose it’s quite cute, but can’t imagine it on anyone over the age of 10
[name_u]Yael[/name_u] - not sure about this one, it means goat
[name_u]Yardley[/name_u] - sounds like ‘yard’ as in the measure of distance with the trend of adding ‘ley’ on the end. Doesn’t sound like a name to me