Urban is a name, so what about

Rural?

I was writing the word rural down for something, and it occurred to me that it sounds like [name_u]Rory[/name_u] and [name_u]Earl[/name_u] put together. It’s kind of a hard word for me to pronounce, and I imagine it wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but what do you think? Could it be used as a name?

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom had a friend as a kid whose dad was named Rural (though with our accent it sounds a lot like Rule), so for me it is 100% a name if a tongue-twisty one to say. I’ve never thought about it much, but I actually like the sound and meaning of it. I definitely think it could work, and it fits in with a lot of the Cowboy/Western Chic names popular right now.

1 Like

[name_m]Way[/name_m] too hard for some people to pronounce (at least where I am from).

I actually like it more than [name_u]Urban[/name_u], but there are many accents that pronounce it in a way that I just can’t stand lol.

2 Likes

I think it could definitely work, but it’s not especially easy to pronounce :slight_smile:

Not sure about it as a name :woman_shrugging: I guess since I’m from a rural area. Maybe as a middle it would work more imo :purple_heart: [name_u]Jasper[/name_u] rural? Rural [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]?

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it straight away x

2 Likes

I kind of like it you know. It has a rugged, kind of appealing sound

1 Like

Definitely works but I don’t really like it. Suburb is off limits though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You’re right, Suburb is not gonna work. :laughing:

1 Like

Pronouncing it [name_m]Rule[/name_m] sounds so much better than Roar-Rule imo

1 Like

I see the appeal - I like [name_m]Rurik[/name_m]. It is hard to say though, a bit of a drawly tongue twister!

1 Like

People make jokes about the word “rural” being hard to pronounce. These are often native [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers.

1 Like

Didn’t know that, but that makes sense.

I think too many people will mispronounce it, sorry. Those websites above list different extremely hard to pronounce words, and rural is there.
What about [name_u]Rory[/name_u]?

1 Like

I love the look of it on paper but I don’t think it would work well as a name. I very much struggle to say this word, to the point of just avoiding it as much as possible.

I’ve seen people say things like “I’ll say ‘in the country’ or ‘non-urban’ to avoid this word when possible.”

I love it.

1 Like

It does sound like a name, kind of like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. Both of those are really hard for me to pronounce, though.

1 Like

Same with me and [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. Double Rs trip me up, even though they can sound beautiful (like when the singer AURORA pronounces her name). Double Ls, too. I love the name [name_f]Lily[/name_f] but it’s hard for me to say.

1 Like