Ursula?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] is usable on an actual person? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know of anyone called [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]? What would you think if you came across one?
I’m starting to really like it but can’t get past the Disney villan from The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid.
The meaning is very cute “little female bear” and I’d probably pair it with a mythological Greek middle name.

Any opinions?

I adore it–it was one of my parents’ runner-up names for me, and wish they’d picked it! It has a dark elegance that I love. But yes, I’d be concerned about the Disney connection since kids still grow up with that movie.

I met my first [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] teaching recently, and it didn’t seem to be an issue.

I adore it–it was one of my parents’ runner-up names for me, and wish they’d picked it! It has a dark elegance that I love. But yes, I’d be concerned about the Disney connection since kids still grow up with that movie.

I met my first [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] teaching recently, and it didn’t seem to be an issue.

I love [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]! I don’t know anyone named [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], but I think it’s awesome.
I’d be stoked to come across someone named [name_f]Ursula[/name_f].
The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid character does come to mind first (it was my favourite movie as a kid, and I used to think she was under my bed and her tentacles would get me in the dark :frowning: hahaha), but I try so hard to get past it because the name is great. I hate turning names in to statements, but I feel like, if more people were brave enough to use [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] to change peoples’ minds away from the sea witch, [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] would be seen as much more usable. I would be game to be one of those parents to use it for such a reason. It’s a lovely name.
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] and [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] would be my “statement” names, haha “No, not like the sea witch. No, not like the allergy meds.”

[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] is probably my favourite U name for a girl, I do know 1 [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] who’s around 26 years old and she says that the character doesnt bother her, actually the other day she was wearing a shirt with the disney character on it.

I like it but other than the ‘[name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid’ name association, I have a hard time seeing it on an actual person rather than a character. I’m sure I’d adjust if I knew someone with the name. It’s pretty out there not just because of the name association like with [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], but the sound is also so different.

I know one [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] in her twenties. She’s Welsh and goes by [name_f]Ursy[/name_f]. I was surprised when I first heard her name but I got over it pretty quickly. She seems to be getting along with it ok. I don’t know how she feels about the Disney connection.

I know a seven year old [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] and she rocks that name. Her family calls her Susu. It might be the girl herself rather than the name, but to me [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] feels very different from the character it represents on the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid. To me it sounds gentle and playful rather than sultry and aggressive. [name_f]Ursa[/name_f] is just as good [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I love it…had a teacher named [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], but the Disney association will be a problem for a few years (ages 3-10, at most).

I have always liked [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. I associate it more with Friends, ([name_f]Pheobe[/name_f]'s twin sister) than with Disney. I don’t like name association and like to think each person has their own aura to their name. It only takes one [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] to make the name beautiful!

I’ll be the black sheep and say that I don’t like [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. It just doesn’t sound “pretty” to my ears. Maybe it’s an acquired taste?

I love it!!

I’m pretty sure I know of two little Ursulas, though I can’t remember one’s last name so maybe I have her first name wrong too… Anyway, one of them has a sister named (the much more common) [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].

[name_f]Ursula[/name_f] has just recently become a guilty pleasure of mine. I love the way it just flows off my tongue. I also like the nickname [name_f]Sula[/name_f] or [name_f]Ursa[/name_f] for a little [name_f]Ursula[/name_f]. :wink:

Wow thanks for all the positive feedback guys. It makes me wonder if the wider community would be as enthralled by the name as the people in this forum. Perhaps if people used it more often there would be less of a negative reaction to the name.

I prefer [name_f]Ursulina[/name_f]. [name_f]Ursulina[/name_f] has the bonus of not being the exact name of a fictitious sea witch, but [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] isn’t bad.

I think it sounds quite clunky but could become chic again. I remember the fashion writer [name_f]Plum[/name_f] Sykes chose it for her daughter a few years ago. The connection with the Disney villain is unfortunate, but on the plus side the name is also associated with the very glamorous [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] Andress.

A family friend is called [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], and whilst she is a lovely person I can’t help but think of The [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid every time I hear it. I can’t help thinking a prettier name would have suited her better, rather than being associated with a Disney villain.

I kind of like it and I honestly do not think the Disney connection is that bad. It has an awesome meaning and the nicknames are cute. The only reason I wouldn’t use it is because it reminds me of a family friend who I do not like at all.