Using brother's name as middle name

I wanted to use my brother’s name as my second son’s middle name and ask him to be the godfather. My only concern is that I am not sure if I should ask him if that is okay before the baby is born. I would think that he would feel honored. My only concern is that I am not sure if he would ever use it for his own son and feel funny if my son had his name already as a middle name (my brother has one son and his wife is preg with #2. They didnt use my brother’s name for his first son). Any thoughts? I would think it would be a nice surprise but wouldn’t want there to be any weirdness if they were planning to use it.

I don’t think there is a reason to ask. If you were using his name in the first position than I would think it a wise to ask. Cousins sharing a middle name is really not a big deal.

I don’t see any reason not to ask if you’re concerned about it. They probably aren’t planning to use it for this baby, but what if they are? You could make it all sweet and tell him how much you love him and how you’d love to honor him by using his name for your son, if that’s ok by him. I think he’d mention at that point if they were planning to use it, but he’d probably just be really honored. I think he’ll be equally honored if you tell him before or after your baby is born.

I used my brothers middle name as my son’s second middle name and I didn’t ask him first. He was only 18 and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t planning to ever use it, but it’s a family name anyway so it was a little different than if it were only his name. Anyway, he didn’t seem to care a lick either way.