UTIs and PCOS: A Series of Unfortunate Events

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Ladies,

I’m reaching out to you, because I’m honestly at my wits end, I don’t know what to do anymore. I apologise in advance if what I share is too much information for anyone.

I was diagnosed with PCOS quite young. I’m not a typical PCOS sufferer, I’m very slim, I only weigh about 110 pounds/50 kgs but have never had a problem. I have had irregular periods since puberty, occasionally they are close together, but for the most part they are three or more months apart. Doctors were always hesitant to put me on the pill as I have a family history of blood disorders, strokes etc.

As I wasn’t sexually active (I’m 25,) no one knew that I also had a labial fusion or wasn’t fully “open” per se. They didn’t want to operate as they felt that it would cause nerve damage, but they also believe I have vaginismus. I have been given estrogen cream and exercises to fix this issue.

Pair all that now with recurring UTIs that I have now been told are the result of how low my estrogen levels are. I have no immunity against bacteria in my bladder and the [name_m]Doctor[/name_m] says that this is typically what they see in old ladies not 25 year olds. She wants me to go on the pill but with my history and my menopausal symptoms I feel it may be time to start trying soon.

The reason being is I’m getting married in [name_u]January[/name_u]. We’ve made the decision that based on my health we are going to start next year.

But in the meantime, I don’t know what to do about this issues at hand. I’m so uncomfortable all the time and miserable. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m sorry this is so long.

1 Like

I am so sorry you are feeling so uncomfortable and miserable. I don’t have any specific advice for you, I’m afraid, but I couldn’t just read and run. Be open with your doctors about how difficult it is for you and stress that you need support as you want to start trying. I truly hope you receive help, support, and a level of comfort very soon, as well as wishing you well on the journey to motherhood. All the best x

I hope this offers comfort. I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 16. I’m now pregnant with baby number four. Fingers crossed your situation improves and good luck TTC!

I don’t have any particular advice for you. I just wanted to say that I’m sorry you have to go through this and that it makes you feel miserable.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] make sure that you’re open and honest about your feelings and worries to any health care provider you talk to. I don’t know how things work where you live, but maybe if you have any appointments at a hospital, maybe they have a therapist you can talk to? Or you could look for a therapist somewhere else who can help you work through this and get things more clear in your mind?