Valentina vs Valentine/Valenteen?

Flashes of red, images of vintage postcards and passion in velvety brown eyes, [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] has always been a favorite of mine and today it’s back on my mind… but, I came across another version of the name a few weeks ago and suddenly, I can’t quite pick which one I like better. So, naturally, I wanted to know you guy’s opinion on the matter!

Valentina? Or [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]/Valenteen? (I pronounce [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] as val-en-teen as well)

Although I prefer [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] (-tine pronunciation) in general, I prefer [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] for a girl. It feels a lot more feminine to me, whereas [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] is quite masculine in my eyes. Not a fan of [name_f]Valenteen[/name_f] spelling.

3 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]

I vote for [name_f]Valentina[/name_f].

I too vote for [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]. I like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] (-tine) for a boy. I reckon no matter how many times you tell people it’s pronounced ‘teen’, your daughter would constantly get ‘tine’ so if you go for valenteen then maybe that’s the best way to spell it. It doesn’t look as nice written down though.

I also like [name_f]Valencia[/name_f] and Venezuela for a girl and [name_m]Valentino[/name_m] for Boy.

I have always loved the name [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]! I think that [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] seems a bit too masculine for me personally and the pronunciation might be a bit confusing. I automatically want to pronounce it as val-en-TIne (like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]’s day)

1 Like

Definitely [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]! In the US, [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] will likely get the -tine pronunciation thanks to [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]’s [name_u]Day[/name_u].

1 Like

I love [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] for a girl! It’s so beautiful. I personally only like [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] for a boy, and that with the -ine (not -een) pronunciation. I’d definitely go with [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]!

I love [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]! So beautiful!

[name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is one of my top choices for a future girl, so I can’t vote against It. :smiley: Velentine is absolutely pretty too, but it’ll likely get confused with the [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]'s day pronunciation. [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], at least to me, makes a better first name

I think [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] is lovely! Though I generally prefer ‘e’ endings to girls’ names, I agree with previous commenters that [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] might come off as too masculine. It’s adorable for a boy, though!

Valentina

I prefer the flair of [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]

My vote is for [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] as the other choices feel masculine to me.

I love [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]! It’s an adorable, meaningful, strong and very elegant name. I would consider it for my own child! [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] sounds even sweeter with your pronounciation. I don’t really like [name_f]Valenteen[/name_f] because it looks mispelled.

Love both [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] and [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], but the one least likely to cause pronunciation headaches is definitely [name_f]Valentina[/name_f].

I too would instinctively pronounce [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] with the “tyne” ending sound, unless in a [name_u]French[/name_u]-speaking context. And it does read more masculine to me in [name_f]English[/name_f] (it’s my son’s middle name) – not that that’s necessarily a bad thing!

I prefer [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]! It registers more as a name in my mind

Valentina