Vasectomy Reversal?

We had a pretty scary pregnancy with our second. Ultrasounds indicated a deformity in her neural tubes… and, thankfully, it ended up being an imaging error. But the trauma of that experience led my husband to insist on a vasectomy less than a year after she was born. It will be 5 years since the procedure in [name_f]April[/name_f] and we are planning on having the reversal surgery in [name_u]March[/name_u].

Has anyone else gone through a reversal and had success getting pregnant? Would love to hear about your experiences.

Not me personally, but I know of one set of twins and another singleton that were successfully conceived and carried after reversals. They’re all healthy and happy. Good luck to you!

1 Like

Thanks @_thelittlefairywren! :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Unfortunately no personal history in my family but I do know of an acquaintance’s baby conceived after a vasectomy reversal. I think they waited a good 6 months post-op to TTC, but that’s the only real info I have. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t even know their ages or anything.

I’d say to have your partner start doing everything sperm friendly right now if he hasn’t already (clean diet, regular exercise, avoiding toxins and vices, etc.).

My partner and I are planning a vasectomy for his 40th birthday (our youngest child will be about 1.5YO). But no plans to ever have it reversed (though I doubt many people set out thinking they’ll for sure reverse it later…).

1 Like

I know that post-op, we will have to wait at least a month and we want to have testing done to make sure nothing is amiss. :alien:

He’s pretty healthy, so I’m not too worried about that. It’s annoying really, now that I’m thinking about it.

What a birthday present! It will bring a lot of peace of mind. The procedure went pretty smoothly for my husband. We had a small baby and it was a bit of a drive, so his mom had to drive him (awkward) and I guess during the procedure he was pretty out of it so when the doctor was pulling the thread to close him up, he thought he was pulling something out of him. :joy: Other than that, it went well. Definitely had to throw away some frozen peas afterward…

1 Like

I am the successful product of a vasectomy reversal :rofl: My mom was 38 and my dad was 42.

Edit - I’m not sure how long they waited, post-surgery, to start trying. I know they did all the tests to make sure everything was working right for my dad. After they started trying, it took 6 months with very basic ovulation tracking on my mom’s part.

I’m actually TTC right now and my mom knows I’m on forums like this. So I could ask her literally anything if you wanted me to :blush: But keep in mind that all of this occurred in 1990-1991 :rofl:

1 Like

No personal account of this but a friend’s partner had a reversal they now have three children ( two are twins)

1 Like

I love this! [name_m]Reading[/name_m] about successes from the source gives me more confidence it will work. I won’t ask you to get more details than that from your mom. :crazy_face:

Good luck TTC. I will keep my eyes peeled for your positive news!

1 Like

Thanks @anon25197097! [name_f]My[/name_f] mom is a twin, but I’m not sure I want to put that possibility out in the universe. :grimacing: Terrifying, but I guess two birds, one stone?

1 Like

My sister has also had twins. Aww double the work but double the love :blush:

2 Likes