VD or ED as initials?

Our last name starts with a D and I do like some names that start with V or E for hypothetical children… Does anyone see this as a problem since then their initials would be either VD or ED? Or if anyone has any personal experience with this I’d be interested to hear about it! (oh the letter D… also shared with disease/disfunction :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

It’s not so bad. [name_f]My[/name_f] initials spell a curse word. Good for one laugh, but everyone thinks it gets old after that. Most kids (at least where I live) don’t call them VDs, and it even took me a second it get ED.

1 Like

I don’t see a huge issue with either of them.

Most kids (and probably a lot of adults too) aren’t going to know what the abbreviation “ED” means, and considering how common the name [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is (which comes with the nickname [name_m]Ed[/name_m]!), I don’t think it’s anything to be worried about.

To my knowledge, the term “venereal disease” isn’t used anymore in the medical community. I only ever see “STI” or “STD” used in current literature, and to be honest I would be surprised if today’s teenagers even know the term “VD”.

1 Like

I too think they’re doable if necessary.

If it were me, I’d bear the initials in mind and try to find something I loved that doesn’t made an unfortunate abbreviation, but if the name I loved best started with V or E I’d still use it.

1 Like

I have no idea what VD is. ED’s maybe less usable, but with the right middle it’d be fine. I know someone called [name_f]Estee[/name_f] D ([name_f]Estee[/name_f] is pronounced like ST) and it’s never really been an issue.

1 Like

I don’t know what VD is. Not a big deal at all I think

ED is the only one I’d hesitate on. I don’t know many who still refer to VD’s by that name :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t use the initials ED, but VD is pretty outdated and okay to use.