Veda or Xanthe? Xanthe or Veda?

Considering getting pregnant with #2, and really want to have (as I did with my son) a name in place for a girl, and also a name in place for a boy. I am stuck between [name]Veda[/name] or [name]Xanthe[/name] for a girl’s name. Last name is 2 syllables, starts with “B” and ends with -“elle”. I love vintage names that have some edge to them - [name]Veda[/name] is that for me. [name]Xanthe[/name] is one my husband is in love with and I go from really not liking it at all, to thinking it may be the most perfect name ever. [name]Veda[/name] I love everything about EXCEPT the possible “Darth Vadar” correlation. I do not want a name in the top 1000, and I live in NYC where even names that are no where near the top 1000 suddenly are heard all over the playground (it’s fascinating). With “[name]Xanthe[/name]” I worry about pronunciation, and I worry that it might sound too “new” or “out there”. Thoughts? Other names that I love for girls, just to give a sense of my style: [name]Olympia[/name], [name]Bernadette[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Gilda[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], [name]Nina[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Iona[/name], [name]Simone[/name], [name]Delphine[/name]. Any input on the “[name]Xanthe[/name]” vs “[name]Veda[/name]” divide would be greatly appreciated!

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Xanthe[/name]! It’s so striking and pretty, I adore it. I also love [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] from your list ([name]Eliza[/name] [name]Delphine[/name] would be adorable, too).

[name]Xanthe[/name] is great. I also love [name]Olympia[/name]. [name]How[/name] cute would it be to have a little girl nn [name]Oly[/name]?

I have a [name]Xanthe[/name] [name]Ella[/name] - and am considering [name]Veda[/name] ([name]Vida[/name]) for our next girl! [name]Xanthe[/name] was considered very out there when she was born 5 years ago but now I see it pop up every so often.
The only person to ever have problems pronouncing it was her Kindy teacher who berated me for not spelling it phonetically with a “z” - I replied gently that it was an “x” as in xylophone (which as I type I think may be different in the States!)
I love both names - obviously! and of your others I also love [name]Olympia[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] but think [name]Bernadette[/name] may not work so well with your surname.

I adore [name]Xanthe[/name]. I like [name]Vita[/name] but that’s mostly just me being a huge fan of [name]Vita[/name] Sackville-[name]West[/name].

[name]Simone[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] are both really nice. I could also see them as middles for [name]Xanthe[/name].

I like [name]Xanthe[/name]. And [name]Xanthia[/name] and [name]Anthea[/name]/[name]Anthia[/name]. Not a fan of [name]Veda[/name] but I like [name]Vera[/name].

[name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] are wonderful.

[name]Veda[/name] is one of my top contenders if I ever have a baby girl, I love it! I also have [name]Xanthe[/name] on my longer list.

I don’t think [name]Xanthe[/name] is too out there, I recently met a 20-something year old [name]Xanthe[/name] who was working in a shop i happened to be in, when I saw her name tag I thought, “Awesome name, how cool”.

[name]Do[/name] those of you who like [name]Veda[/name] think that pronunciation is an issue? I.e. we are looking for it to be said, “Vey-da” and I wonder if people will read it that way?

[name]How[/name] funny! Well, you have great taste in names! :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] funny! Well, you have great taste in names! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] Cinnycmom,
I have a daughter named [name]Veda[/name]. She’s 3 months old now, and we do pronounce it Vey-da, like you. Some people say Vee-da, but correcting them is not a big deal, and once corrected, nobody has gotten it wrong again. We love her name, and are complimented on it all the time.

I like [name]Xanthe[/name] too-I grew up in a very small town, and there was a girl a couple of years older than me named [name]Xanthe[/name]. I don’t think anyone had problems with pronunciation, but I suspect that it would be the same as with pronouncing [name]Veda[/name]…once corrected, if need be, people won’t get it wrong again.

I don’t think you could go wrong choosing either name, but I’ll put in my vote for [name]Veda[/name]! ([name]Just[/name] out of curiosity, what is your son’s name?)

My name is [name]Veda[/name], I pronounce it VEH-da. Some people call me Vey-da and it doesn’t bother me. I also get VEE-da from time to time, but whatever. I’ve heard the Darth [name]Veda[/name] thing and it just makes me laugh. I still have a friend to this day who calls me Darth [name]Veda[/name] and to be honest it cracks me up! Being Greek, I love [name]Xanthe[/name] as well, but I’m more partial to my own name!

Oh Wow !! [name]Veda[/name] [name]Juliette[/name] … exactly what I am thinking at the moment. Spooky. I have only heard it pronounced Vee-da - not that it matters hugely.

I know a little [name]Xanthe[/name] and think it is a great name!

[name]How[/name] wonderful to find someone else with a baby named [name]Xanthe[/name]!!! My granddaughter is named [name]Xanthe[/name] [name]Paige[/name] we love her name so much, and it is such an easy name to say, [name]SHAME[/name] on that ignorant teacher.

Our beautiful[name] Xanthe[/name] is 2 and a half now.

[name]Nanny[/name] rollo

I have only ever heard of one [name]Xanthe[/name] and she’d be like 22 years old now, but I love the name - I think it’s the right amount of out there and I can’t see why people would have trouble pronouncing it. I prefer [name]Xanthe[/name] to [name]Veda[/name] because I do think you’ll still receive Darth Vadar comments from adults, not children.

I like [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Persephone[/name] (adore this!!!) and [name]Eliza[/name] from the other name list.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Xanthe[/name], I like [name]Iona[/name] from your list, as well.