Victoria Coren Mitchell & David Mitchell's daughter

so [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Coren[/name_u] [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m] and [name_u]David[/name_u] [name_m]Mitchell[/name_m] named their recently-born baby daughter [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. her older sister, born in 2015, is called [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u].

I wonder if these old-fashioned first names that were most popular a century ago are going to make a big comeback in the UK in the next decade or two.

other [name_f]British[/name_f] celebrities have also opted to give their children very old-fashioned names outside of the current top 1000 (e.g. [name_f]Ethel[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] Allen’s daughter).

one upside to giving kids old-fashioned names in my opinion is that the names will age well!

what are your thoughts?

5 Likes

I’m not super-pro ultra popular names. I think older names are fine if they don’t come across as dated (Barbara does to me, honestly). Names like [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] are fine and fresh for this decade/century.

1 Like

I don’t ever see [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] making a comeback. [name_f]Barbie[/name_f] maybe, thanks to the new film, but not [name_f]Barbara[/name_f]. Same with [name_f]Ethel[/name_f].

Other names like [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_u]Florence[/name_u], Edith/Edie and [name_f]Olive[/name_f] seem fresher, which is why I think they made a strong comeback.

2 Likes

Ahhh they are such lovely names really refreshing! I love June Violet. She’s so pretty and summery.

Barbara Elizabeth June feels very nostalgic and classic. However Barbara doesn’t appeal to me I just dislike the sound. I think as Barbora is a family name which I’ve never liked this choice also doesn’t appeal to me. But I can definitely see why people like the name and why she may be brimming for a comeback.

2 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]June[/name_u] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], but have always disliked Barbara’s name (sorry!)

Another instance of a famous couple using an older child’s middle for a first name, like [name_u]Prince[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m], [name_f]Amada[/name_f] Gosling, I’m sure there are more… Interesting!

2 Likes

the people who betted on what [name_u]Prince[/name_u] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] would be called must have been so annoyed :joy:

1 Like