Victoria vs Vittoria

I need some opinions. We know we definitely want a family name and were considering [name_f]Domenica[/name_f]. We’ve recently changed our mind as a cousin had a baby girl and used that name.

Now were are either thinking [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] (my grandmother) or [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] (my grandmother’s grandmother). I like [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f]. He likes [name_f]Victoria[/name_f].

What do you guys think?

I love [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f]! With three syllables, I think she’ll end up using a nickname (or receiving one/many from friends) in either case. So you should go with the full name you love most!

Part of why I prefer [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] is that I do not like [name_f]Vickie[/name_f]. I’m thinking we’ll call her Toia ([name_f]Toya[/name_f]) anyway, as a nod to my grandmother.

I like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] better. You could always call her [name_f]Tori[/name_f].

Unless you live somewhere [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] is the norm, I would use [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t blame you for wanting to avoid [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] though. Very icky.

I definitely think [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] is your best bet, especially if you’d like to avoid the [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] nickname (which I don’t blame you for - I’m not a fan either…) [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] still has your family namesake, and also, if Toia is for your grandmother (I’m assuming this was [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]'s nickname?), then you get both women into one namesake which sounds perfect to me.

Otherwise, if he really won’t budge from [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], you could use [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] in the middle (so as to avoid that nickname) and use something else you love and can agree on for the first.

I really like the nickname [name_u]Vic[/name_u] for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], but as a full name I definitely think [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] is much more beautiful and romantic.

I much prefer [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]. I actually don’t mind [name_f]Vicky[/name_f], but if you dislike it, there are loads of other nickname options.

Wow lots of differing opinions on this one!

If it’s helpful to offer any more information I can add this:

My grandmother (living) goes mostly by [name_f]Vickie[/name_f] but her sisters called her Toia. Part of why I want to avoid [name_f]Vickie[/name_f] is because that’s her name. My partner just doesn’t like the sound of it.

We probably won’t call her [name_f]Tori[/name_f] as a nickname because he has a cousin (more like a brother) named [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m] that goes by [name_f]Tory[/name_f].

Her middle name will be [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], as those are family names on his side.

Her last name will be two syllables that starts with Gr and ends in O.

If you are worried about nicknames (because I sure don’t like the nn [name_f]Vicky[/name_f] either), you could always stretch and go with the nickname [name_f]Vera[/name_f] for [name_f]Victoria[/name_f]

[name_f]Vera[/name_f] is beautiful and not something either of us had considered! I was thinking [name_f]Vita[/name_f] if we went with [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f], so that’s a nice (similar) alternative.

I like [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] better! [name_f]Vita[/name_f] would be a sweet nn. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is quite common and am sure she would be dubbed [name_f]Vicky[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Toya[/name_f]/Toia or [name_f]Vita[/name_f] work as a nickname for either, if that’s what you like. [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] would find herself constantly correcting people on spelling and pronunciation, I think.

I much prefer [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Vita[/name_f] or [name_m]Vito[/name_m] to [name_f]Victoria[/name_f].

It’s a shame someone took [name_f]Domenica[/name_f]…bella bella! I think as [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f], while quite lovely, she would always have to correct the pronunciation and spelling.

We know a [name_f]Viktoria[/name_f] who goes by [name_f]Vika[/name_f]

You can get away with [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f], because it’s a family name. If I were to name my daughter that, it would look made up. It’s a little different, but go for it! [name_f]Dominica[/name_f] is gorgeous.

I guess [name_f]Domenica[/name_f] wasn’t meant to be but now you have the opportunity to honour two other great women in your life. [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] and [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] are both beautiful names so you can’t go wrong either way. I also love your idea of Toia / [name_f]Toya[/name_f] as a nickname. It’s so pretty and refreshing.

Here are some considerations to think through. [name_m]How[/name_m] important is ease and familiarity? [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] is more well known, whereas [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] might take just a little longer for some to pick up. I don’t think this is a major concern overall, given she’ll also go by her nickname and it’s honestly not that difficult. [name_m]How[/name_m] important is popularity? If you’d like something more unique, [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] is definitely more distinct. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think she would like a more unusual name?

For your middle name options, I like [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] the best. The first pairs names with the same traditional style, I find [name_f]Claire[/name_f] also softens the sharpness of “[name_u]Vic[/name_u]” and I like the sound of the two C’s together. The second combines the lesser known names together and has a more striking affect.

All the best agreeing on her name together!

Thank you for such a thoughtful response! I think we are going to go with [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f]. I come from a pretty large Italian family, and we live in a very Italian neighborhood, so I think [name_f]Vittoria[/name_f] will be pretty easily recognized. At least for now.

We’re still going back and forth on the middle name.