Viola/Vi - uncommon?

I like [name_f]Viola[/name_f], but I really want an uncommon (but established) name. I’m aware that [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is very popular right now. Given this, Im wondering how [name_f]Viola[/name_f] would feel - it has the same etymology, but does it sound different enough? Also curious to know how common the nn [name_f]Vi[/name_f] is given all the little Violets running around? Other nn possibilities [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] (maybe Vila) are also great, but [name_f]Vi[/name_f] seems most intuitive. Thanks!

I haven’t checked the rankings, but [name_f]Viola[/name_f] does seem uncommon, yet established to me.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is really uncommon where I am. The name is beautiful :cherry_blossom:

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is uncommom if you’re from anywhere outside of [name_f]Italy[/name_f]! I would definitely classify it as uncommon but established, I think it’s a great choice if that’s what you’re going for. I only know of one [name_f]Violet[/name_f] ‘Lettie’, all the other ones I’m pretty sure get nicknamed [name_f]Vi[/name_f], but… It’s not exactly an [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “Liz” thing where it’s a 24/7 nickname? It feels like it’s mostly used as an occasional affectionate nickname, so I wouldn’t worry about Violets being called [name_f]Vi[/name_f] making your Viola’s name seem less uncommon, unless you plan on primarily calling her [name_f]Vi[/name_f]. I also love the nickname [name_f]Lola[/name_f], by the way!

It definitely feels uncommon but established my only concern would it could possibly seen as someone trying to be part of the [name_f]Violet[/name_f] trend yet trying to be ‘unique’ at the same time, much like the [name_m]Aiden[/name_m] - [name_m]Raiden[/name_m], [name_m]Zaiden[/name_m], [name_m]Xaiden[/name_m], Draiden etc. trend.

I’d imagine [name_f]Vi[/name_f] / [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is fairly popular as along with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] you also had [name_f]Vivian[/name_f], [name_f]Viviana[/name_f], [name_f]Vivia[/name_f], [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] [name_f]Vida[/name_f], etc.

I’m in the southern US and I’ve never met a [name_f]Viola[/name_f]! Such a gorgeous name! :heart:

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is pretty and less expected than [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and I think the fact that there’s a distinctive O sound and an extra syllable adds extra flair and a more musical, lively feeling? I also don’t think I’ve heard anyone being called [name_f]Vi[/name_f] where I am - most Violets are just [name_f]Violet[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Viola[/name_f]! I would definitely consider it uncommon yet established. I think it’s a great alternative to the very popular [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I’ve never met a girl whose forename was [name_f]Viola[/name_f], but I once had a classmate whose middle name was such- Taletha [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. Granted, my experience isn’t universal, but I’d say Violas is pretty uncommon.

I think you are good with [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is really the only popular V name. I gave my kid an uncommon A name and half the kids in his preschool have A names.

[name_f]Viola[/name_f] is absolutely uncommon but established! It also has a cool Shakespearean namesake.

1 Like

I think you’re spot on and I love it

I have a good friend named [name_f]Viola[/name_f]. We are both teens. Her name is pronounced Vee-ola, not Vie-ola. I believe her parents picked it because of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]. She does have to correct the pronunciation because Vie-ola is more common, I guess.