Violet or Clara (or Willa)?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all- expecting our third child in [name_f]July[/name_f], gender unknown. Our daughters are [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. I think we have our boy name nailed down. For a girl, we had pretty much settled on [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (Clara is for my grandmother), but the popularity of [name_f]Violet[/name_f] has always been one thing that makes me slightly unsure (though not a deal breaker and not an issue at all for my husband who loves it). Lately I’ve been revisiting the other combination we were considering, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], which would honor both of our paternal grandmothers. The hitch with [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is that we have dual citizenship with the US and UK, and with our American accents we pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] like Clare-uh, but our UK family and friends would be inclined to say Clah-ruh. As our kids may work or study in the UK one day, and already encounter a lot of [name_f]English[/name_f] accents, I’m wondering if this will get tedious. And, to throw one more out there, our last contender is [name_f]Willa[/name_f], which seems to have fallen down our list but doesn’t have any of the issues we do with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

Would love your thoughts/ feedback. Thanks so much!

1 Like

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] is pretty but I really like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] :heartbeat::tulip:

1 Like

If you both love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] I’d stick with that, it may be popular but that doesn’t mean she’ll end up as one of many in a class or during her work/personal life.

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a beautiful name & would be my choice over [name_f]Willa[/name_f]. It may take a few times of correcting people on the prn. but once they know they’ll use the one you prefer :blush:

1 Like

I love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. Yes it’s more popular but it doesn’t repeat sounds in your girls names or many other names in general.

1 Like

I would definitely stick with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] - it flows so well together :slight_smile:

Really like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and I’m not a fan of either [name_f]Violet[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f], but I think in this instance I’d have to say [name_f]Violet[/name_f], which I feel goes well with both your daughter’s names and also has an ending sound distinct from the others :blush:

They’re all lovely names, but [name_f]Willa[/name_f] is my favorite! [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is such a pretty combination, though.

Clara is great!! I think it goes best with big sisters names & it has bonus of honoring both grandparents. I don’t think different pronunciations are an issue with different accents!! So what! I think it’s kind of cool- these grandparents call me Clahra & these call me claire-ah… both versions are pleasant sounding and it’s not that different from some family members calling you by a nickname and some not. I wouldn’t let that deter you.

Good luck!!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my favourite of your names, though I’d use and prefer the Clah-ra pronunciation. But [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a beautiful name and sounds great with her sisters, also no confusion about how it might be pronounced so [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] would be my choice!

All of the options here go well with [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], but I like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] with those names best.

But if [name_f]Willa[/name_f] doesn’t have any issues (much less popular and only one pronunication) and you also love [name_f]Willa[/name_f], then [name_f]Willa[/name_f] might be your best choice.

While I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f], the pronunciation issues with your family might make it the least great choice of these three names for you. But none of them are at all bad.

I don’t think the Clah-ruh/Clare-uh thing is too much of an issue - both ways sound natural when said in the different accents.

I do love [name_f]Willa[/name_f] though - bright, literary and vintage - it’s probably my favourite option for you. [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] would be nice :slight_smile:

Another vote for [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Both are very pretty, but I’d definitely go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] Clara!!

I love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! We also have different accents in our family and I’ve had the same thoughts about [name_f]Clara[/name_f], which otherwise works so well. I love that [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] all have e, i, and o in them, but are otherwise very distinct names. They tie together beautifully!

I prefer [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

Congratulations! Your girls have beautiful names.

I would go with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. The most important thing about choosing a name is admiring it and loving it for your child. Popularity is something to consider, but I wouldn’t eliminate [name_f]Violet[/name_f] because of it. It is popular, but not extremely popular. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is a beautiful, elegant, energectic and traditional choice. [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a stunning combo. [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] sound wonderful together.

I also adore [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. This is a timeless choice. I love the family story behind it. In my opinion, both pronounciations are beautiful. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is very gentle and sophisticated.

[name_f]Willa[/name_f] is a nice name, but I truly believe the other options are the best for you, based on the description that you wrote of each name.

[name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] or [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] are two stunning variations of [name_f]Clara[/name_f] that maybe could eliminate the different pronounciations problem. [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and [name_f]Clarisse[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] are gorgeous.
Perhaps, [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]? :purple_heart:

[name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is a pretty combination, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is my favourite between the two.
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] is not my cup of tea

Stick with [name_f]Violet[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. It’s a lovely name and so classic. It goes great with your other daughters names.

Both are great choices.
I prefer [name_f]Clara[/name_f] over Violet; I don’t feel the difference in pronunciation will be a big issue. Though with [name_f]Violet[/name_f], you would have different endings on the girls’ names. (If you choose [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] ends in the A sound, also.)