Vivi or Vivienne

Our last name is 10 letters and 3 syllables…so quite long.

If we have another girl…

We are pretty set on [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]…but is it too long with our last name? We like [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] because we could call her [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]…so should we just name her [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]??

I would go for [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] because I just prefer them having a ‘full name’ on the bc. When she tells them she goes as [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] then people will call her that anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem. I know a [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] who just introduces herself as [name_u]Sammy[/name_u] so that’s what everyone knows her as. X

[name_m]Both[/name_m] beautiful. I would give her the full name and therefore both options x

I would give her the full name. Maybe spell it [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] or [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] so it doesn’t have as many letters?

I love love love the name [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]!
You could ALWAYS use [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] as the nn.
If you name simply name her [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], I think people would think it was short for
something anyway, as it doesn’t feel “complete”.

We would call her [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] 99% of the time but I think it probably is better to give her the longer version (if baby is a girl that is =) maybe spelling it in a shorter way would be best.

I would use [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] so you could have the best of both worlds

I’m not a fan of nicknames as first names. When she gets older she deserves a more “adult” name or at least the choice of one!

So [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] nn [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]. Though you could always use the shorter version of the name, [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]!! Or even [name_u]Vivien[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong with long names (mine is abysmally short–a total of 15 letters for all three names combined)…I’d go for for [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] Sebastienne Surname!

I prefer [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] over [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]. I feel [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is a good nick name but not as her name always plus she may want to go by [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] when she is older. So my vote is for [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]!

I don’t think something like [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_u]Porter[/name_u]-[name_m]Smith[/name_m] or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_m]Washington[/name_m] is too long at all!

I love [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] as just [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]! We had a list of alternatives, but my son probably would have been [name_f]Vivi[/name_f]. I don’t think [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] is missing anything at all, where nickname names like [name_f]Lil[/name_f] and [name_m]Nate[/name_m] are, at least in my opinion. It is both strong and sweet.

I have a nickname name and, while I have a few stories and am sometimes a little down on it, it really isn’t that bad. Of course, [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is gorgeous and it really comes down to what the two of you love more.

I was also going to suggest [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] so that it looks a little shorter. I’m in the camp of giving formal names with nicknames optional.

Other options, if you don’t want to go with [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]/[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]/[name_u]Vivien[/name_u]:

[name_f]Viv[/name_f]
[name_f]Viva[/name_f]
[name_u]Vida[/name_u]
[name_f]Livy[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]

To me, these all feel a little more grown-up for a woman compared to just [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] as a full name, and all could have [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] as a nickname. :slight_smile: