Votes needed Gianna or Camille

We’re down to our final 2 names for the girl, we think :wink: we have 4 weeks to decide…

[name]Camille[/name] -maybe call her [name]Cami[/name]
[name]Gianna[/name] - definitely call her [name]Gia[/name]

Our last name is begins with the Schn sound and is 2 syllables. I like [name]Gia[/name] the best but have been told its too Italian. Thoughts?

[name]Both[/name] names are really pretty, but I would go with [name]Camille[/name]. The correct pronunciation for [name]Gianna[/name] is [name]JAHN[/name]-a, rather than jee [name]AH[/name] na (I actually like the incorrect pronunciation better in sound), and I doubt most English-speaking people would pronounce it that way. If you really like [name]Gia[/name], I think it would work fine as a stand-alone name. I love [name]Camille[/name], though! Other nns could be [name]Mila[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Mimi[/name].

[name]Both[/name] names are very pretty but personally I love [name]Camille[/name] especially with the nickname [name]Millie[/name]. [name]Camille[/name], to me, seems very elegant but still fun at the same time. good luck :slight_smile:

I too prefer [name]Camille[/name] – it’s more distinctive and not so trendy.

Another vote for [name]Camille[/name]! It has a mature but playful elegance and sophisticated French style. [name]Gianna[/name] is nice too, though.

I love both, so I suggest you wait and see which name “suits”. I’m also going to respectfully disagree about the pronunciation. Although the jee part in the Italian pronunciation is very short, it is in there, so I think jee-anna is a fine anglicization and [name]Gia[/name] would be a good nickname.

Personally, I prefer the sound of [name]Camille[/name], and so that gets my vote. I too think it would be a good idea to wait until she is born, and then see which she suits best, though.

I disagree that [name]Gianna[/name] is “too Italian” but I must say that I greatly prefer [name]Camille[/name]. I love [name]Camille[/name] just by itself without a nn but if you’re set on having a nn for it, I like [name]Millie[/name] the best. [name]Gianna[/name]'s pretty but trendy and dated to me.

I like both your choices but I think you’d have to pronounce [name]Gianna[/name] correctly (i.e. in two syllables, quite similar so [name]Jenna[/name] only with an ah sound), so that would make [name]Gia[/name] as a nickname quite obsolete (except you want to prounce that Jah, too).
I understand why people might be saying another pronunciation is more beautiful, but it’s a very international world today and to an Italian speaking person it would probably be hard to explain why you want to pronounce it the “wrong” way.

Thanks for all the votes! Seems [name]Camille[/name] is the favorite.

What about the middle name?

[name]Camille[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Elise[/name]

I am voting for [name]Gianna[/name], her nn could be [name]Gian[/name] instead of [name]Gia[/name] and I think it sounds interesting rather than ‘Oh that’s an Italian name’.

If you are going with [name]Camille[/name] then [name]Elise[/name] is a must have.

I vote for [name]Camille[/name], too.

Your combos:

[name]Camille[/name] [name]Quinn[/name]: Because [name]Camille[/name] is so French and [name]Quinn[/name] is so Irish, they don’t work for me. (But that’s just me!) I think a longer middle name would sound great!

[name]Camille[/name] [name]Elise[/name]: I think both names are beautiful, but I hard time saying [name]Camille[/name] [name]Elise[/name] out loud because of the L sounds in [name]Camille[/name]'s ending and [name]Elise[/name]'s beginning. [name]Elise[/name] is also hard for me to say with a last name starting with Sch…

With a first and last name having two syllables, I think a middle name with at least three syllables creates a soft flow.

You may also like (I’ll pretend your last name is Schneider):

[name]Camille[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] Schneider (gives you the double hard K sound, like with [name]Quinn[/name])
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] Schneider (not the best flow)
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] Schneider
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] Schneider

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Camille[/name]! [name]Camille[/name] [name]Elise[/name] is pretty but very “l” heavy. I don’t really like [name]Camille[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] that much. [name]Camille[/name] is so soft and vintage and, to me, [name]Quinn[/name] doesn’t really go with [name]Camille[/name].
[name]How[/name] about
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Frances[/name] - love it
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Georgette[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Jacinta[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Rowena[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Susannah[/name] - love it!
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Camille[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

I would go with [name]Camille[/name]. Maybe because I knew a not-so-nice [name]Gianna[/name].

lol i know this is old but [name]Gianna[/name] is also pronounced the “incorrect” way: [name]GEE[/name]-[name]AH[/name]-NAH. It’s not just Italian. It’s Hebrew too! Means God’s [name]Grace[/name], or the [name]Grace[/name] of God.

i much prefer [name]Gianna[/name] [[name]Camille[/name] is nice too] but we are definitely naming our daughter [name]Gianna[/name]! it’s so so soooo pretty!