Walter - vintage and quirky or just old?

My husband and I are expecting twins and we don’t yet know the sexes. I do know they are fraternal and I have a gut feeling that we are having a girl and a boy (though I could be totally wrong).

For some reason we’ve had a lot of trouble this time around on boy names. We were spitballing about names last night and both mentioned [name_m]Walter[/name_m] at almost the same time. I think [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is an absolutely charming nickname and he would probably go by that most of the time. My husband’s great-grandfather’s middle name is [name_m]Walter[/name_m] as well and he was a very beloved family member, so that could be a special way to honor his side of the family.

Does it just sound too staunch, rough, overly-masculine, just old? Could we get away with calling him [name_m]Walt[/name_m] all the time? I would love to hear y’alls thoughts.

Oh, and my son’s name is [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] - would they go together well enough?

[name_m]Walter[/name_m]/[name_m]Walt[/name_m] is a great name and I think it goes nicely with [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]. Also it’s sweet how it honors a dear family member. [name_u]Win[/name_u] win.

I think [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is on the cusp of a comeback–not in a trendy rocket-powered rise to the Top 10 way, but in the same way other “old” or “fusty” names from our grandparents or great-grandparents are all returning. We see [name_m]Walter[/name_m] a lot more in pop culture (though I don’t think anyone would immediate associate [name_m]Walter[/name_m] with Breaking Bad, it has definitely put the name back in regular parlance!) and in our daily lives (I grew up with a [name_m]Walter[/name_m]; no one thought it was weirdly old). And there are so many great Walters in history ([name_f]Whitman[/name_f], Disney, etc) that I think the name leans on the charming side of vintage names.

So I say use it! [name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] are perfect brothers!! I don’t think there’s anything wrong with using [name_m]Walt[/name_m] as nickname all the time if you want, though I wouldn’t be afraid of using [name_m]Walter[/name_m] if you like the full. I also think it would be fun to be a little boy and share your name with a Disney-Pixar character ([name_m]Wall[/name_m]-ee/[name_u]Wally[/name_u]!).

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Walter[/name_m] with [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]. I don’t see it as “old.” I think it is lovely, distinguished, and ages well.

I agree with ellenelle as [name_m]Walter[/name_m] has become more prevalent in pop culture. [name_m]Walt[/name_m] from Lost as well as Breaking Bad and Disney.

I adore [name_m]Walter[/name_m]! I love just plain [name_m]Walt[/name_m] even better.

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] go very well together.
Of course my first thought was [name_m]Walter[/name_m] White from Breaking Bad, and every time I see “[name_m]Walt[/name_m]” I hear [name_u]Skylar[/name_u]'s voice saying his name…(sorry, it was a good show!!)
But I do think [name_m]Walter[/name_m] is ready for a comeback, and [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is a good nickname. I also think [name_u]Wally[/name_u] is a really cute nickname for a younger boy too!
Overall, this name does not feel old; but strong, classic and able to fit any age.

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f], [name_f]LOVE[/name_f], [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] the name [name_m]Walt[/name_m]/[name_m]Walter[/name_m]! I love your meaning behind it and definitely agree that you should use it.
([name_m]Walt/name_m Disney is one of my ideals, which is why I (personally) mainly love the name. Though I also prefer the nickname [name_u]Wally[/name_u].)

Well I’ve never seen Breaking Bad, so I imagine we will get comments about it for the next couple years but it will fall off after that. Thanks for the input, everyone. It will be going on the list. :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Walter[/name_m]! I’ve considered it for my own list. [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is such a lovely nn! I don’t get the Breaking Bad reference, since I don’t watch it, but I’ve only met a few people who actually watch it, so it might not even be a real reference in a few years.

I absolutely adore the name [name_m]Walter[/name_m], and [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is a divine nickname, and I think it’s vintage quirky.

On top of that, it’s positively perfect with [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m].

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] exudes vintage charm with a touch of romance. My first thought is [name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s son [name_m]Walter[/name_m] in the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables series, sweet and sensitive and a young poet.

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] to me is just an old name. I can’t picture a little boy named [name_m]Walter[/name_m] or even an adult. Sorry!

Definitely a cute vintage name for me! I like [name_m]Wilbur[/name_m] for the same reasons and [name_m]Walt[/name_m] is just darling. It will age well and has the family tie so I see no issues at all, lovely X

[name_m]Walter[/name_m] is adorable. I love that name :slight_smile: