Wanna Cringe?

This couple at our church just had a baby girl. They named her (are you ready?) [name]Lovely[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Brown[/name]…

Blah!

[name]Lovely[/name]? Well, on the bright side, they didn’t go with Awful [name]Rose[/name] [name]Brown[/name]. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

[name]Susan[/name],

We just named our [name]Christmas[/name] doll last night. Well Miss [name]Dottie[/name] named her [name]Christmas[/name] doll last night, with the help of Miss [name]Jill[/name] and my sister. :wink: [name]Just[/name] to let you know, it is the most BEAUTIFUL name in the world.

[name]Chardonnay[/name] Moonbeam Cottonblossom

[name]Just[/name] flows off your tongue, huh?

[name]Lovely[/name] [name]Brown[/name]? EEeeeek!

Oh EW. [name]Lovely[/name] [name]Brown[/name] is terrible. [name]Rose[/name] is the only good part. At least its not Luvlee Roze or some other horror. Could be worse, but bad enough already.

So lovely! Soon it will hit the top ten!

I didn’t really want to cringe, but I couldn’t help myself but to look at this thread. I’m cringing, wincing, sweating, and making sure I have a bucket by the bed in case I work all the way up to hurling.

To answer the question; no, I didn’t but I definitely am.

Arrrrgggghhhhhh! Why? Why? Did anyone even try to talk them out of it? Maybe it’s not too late! Please [name]Susan[/name] try! In fact I’m making such a pained expression that people are asking me if I’m ok.

That poor, poor child. I’m really sad for her.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I think they should have named her [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Brown[/name].

Another couple at church had a little boy last [name]Sunday[/name] night. They named him [name]Cayden[/name] [name]Eugene[/name].
Very few people know that I love names. I recently got to know a new friend named [name]Michelle[/name] who is much younger than me. I told her that I go on a website every day to talk about names for babies. She said, “You’re kidding, right?” I told her, no, I’m not kidding. Then she wanted to know what I thought of her name ideas for her future children. She is planning to name her son [name]Rigby[/name] and nickname him [name]Rigs[/name] and her daughter [name]Melina[/name]. She is married to such a handsome man. I can’t even tell you what actor he looks like, but he is darn good looking. We know him really well now, so we don’t think about how he looks. We think about his personality, and he is very kind. But when we first met him, my daughter and I nearly fainted.
Then my new friend [name]Michelle[/name] wanted to know what I thought of the name [name]Cayden[/name] because she is friends with the lady named [name]Eunice[/name] who just had little [name]Cayden[/name] [name]Eugene[/name] last [name]Sunday[/name] night. [name]Michelle[/name] was about to throw a baby shower for [name]Eunice[/name]. I said, “I think [name]Cayden[/name] is a Welsh name.”
Whenever people I know ask me what I think of names, I always say I like them even when I don’t. I am much more honest with my Nameberry buddies. It is really odd.

‘[name]Lovely[/name]’ reminds me of the type of names of some [name]African[/name] children I know in the UK, most originally from Nigeria. A few that come to mind immediately are ‘Brilliant’, ‘Loveness’ (love-ness), and '[name]St[/name]. [name]Peter[/name]‘s [name]Bell[/name]’ (yes, ‘saint-peters-bell’ said altogether for a first name!).

I think what you said about loving names has a lot to do with it. It’s an odd hobby. I think when parents come here with questions, they are actually seeking advice. If your own son or daughter were ready to start a family, even without knowing you love names, might pitch some names and be close enough to you to filter your response as helpful or well-meaning, even if they don’t ultimately agree. Someone at church or somewhere else in your real life is just excited and wants to share, and isn’t seeking advice, at least so far as they are unaware that you love names and would otherwise want to help them avoid pitfalls like going through life believing [name]Cayden[/name] is a Welsh name! I think they would think that was rude because they weren’t really telling you so they could be corrected and find a more appropriate name, or accept [name]Cayden[/name] as a sort of Irish but not really name. I think knowing is better, but I think by the time she is telling people at church, she has done all the research she wishes to do on the subject. When people come to nameberry, or other name forums, I generally think they are involved in the research still, and hopefully open to information and advice before they settle on a name, so it’s a different context and not usually perceived as rude if you dissuade someone from using a name, or at least tell them it’s not really Welsh, and it is very trendy, and if that’s still alright with them, at least they won’t go to church or the supermarket or work or night school and tell people what they plan to name their child is Welsh. It’s hard to point things out to people in that context. It’s not like the child is already born and named, so you have to be polite, but you still have to be polite and say you like it. I don’t know what else you can say in that face-to-face situation where someone’s not really asking you to correct them or list some better names they might also like.

Someone at my former work named her daughter [name]Honey[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]. My friend knew about the name before the baby was born and really wanted to say somthing, I don’t think she ever did. I didn’t know the woman at all so I didn’t feel like I could say anything either. Well, at least the girl has a nice middle name to fall back on when she is filling out law school applications.