Ways to get to Archie

[name_f]Baby[/name_f] Number Two is a BOY!

At my scan a few weeks ago he seemed shy and sweet, and I feel like the name [name_m]Archie[/name_m] would really suit him. [name_f]My[/name_f] issue is how to get there.

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m]- This is probably my top choice. It is an important family name for my husband, especially paired with the middle name we’re thinking of using. The issues are that my husband thinks it’s incredibly outdated (my name is [name_f]Edith[/name_f], which apparently isn’t outdated according to him hahaha go figure :woman_shrugging:t2:) and he doesn’t like the “bald” ending (my family has strong male pattern baldness genes). As someone who only goes by their nickname I understand the frustration of having an old fashioned name that hangs over you when you don’t want it, but I also think it’s important to have a “full” name in case he wants to be something like a lawyer when he’s older.

[name_m]Archer[/name_m]- I like this name and its meaning, but I don’t think I’m cool enough to pull it off. Additionally, our surname starts with an Er- sound which may or may not be a deal breaker. While it’s an old name it feels like it might be too modern for me.

[name_m]Archie[/name_m]- I don’t think I can put a nickname on a birth certificate. Also we live in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] where “Archie” is currently number 9 for boys. That alone makes me second guess the name but not entirely…

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]- I love the history and meaning of this name, and it holds some significance for us, but should the -ur Er- combo again be a potential deal breaker? Is it too stretchy to get to [name_m]Archie[/name_m]? (My mom says he would be “Artie” but I think if we/he just introduced him/himself as “Archie” is wouldn’t be a problem).

[name_m]Arran[/name_m]- The [name_f]Isle[/name_f] of [name_m]Arran[/name_m] is very significant to us, but I’m not sure the stretchiness (or constant spelling issues) make it worth using. It’s also probably the name on this list that’s furthest away from my current naming style.

Please let me know what you think! What do you like/not like? Which ones do you think could work? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any other paths to “Archie”? Big Brother is named Gr@nt if that makes a difference :slight_smile: Thank you!! X

It might be a bit of a stretch but [name_m]March[/name_m] or [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] might work. I think [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and [name_m]Archer[/name_m] are both great options- and vintage names are in right now so I don’t think [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] will feel dated.

1 Like

I like just [name_m]Archie[/name_m] best to be honest. Substantial but cosy, what you’re going to call him and I don’t see why an [name_m]Archie[/name_m] couldn’t be a lawyer, especially as nickname-names will be fairly normal amongst his generation! :person_shrugging:

I like [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] too - I think you could pull it off, especially with a ‘ch’ somewhere in the middle?
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] Er- doesn’t sound too bad to me either

2 Likes

Congratulations! [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is sweet, especially with big brother.

Thoughts on current options:

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] → It doesn’t sound like your husband’s on board, but it is cute in an old-man sort of way.

[name_m]Archer[/name_m] → I actually don’t find this “too cool” at all. I am in the US where it is a bit more popular, but I really like this for you and it’s a good match with big brother as well.

[name_m]Archie[/name_m] → I’m not a nickname-as-a-full-name person either, but [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is one of the few I can really get on board with. It is a nickname, but it doesn’t sound particularly cutesy and definitely can stand alone in my opinion.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] → One of my favorites individually. [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is a bit more stretchy than your other options but still doable. The he -ur Er- combo isn’t perfect, but not a deal breaker either.

[name_m]Arran[/name_m] → LOVE [name_m]Arran[/name_m] and the connection to the place, but it does seem to be a bit of a style outlier. Not completely out of place though especially if you can fit a “ch” in the middle name somewhere to make [name_m]Archie[/name_m] more intuitive.

In summary, my preferences would be (in order): [name_m]Archer[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], and [name_m]Archie[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] personal favorite full name for [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is [name_m]Richard[/name_m], which is admittedly much stretchier than your current options!

1 Like

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m]- my favorite from your list. It is old fashioned, but I wouldnt say dated

[name_m]Archer[/name_m]- handsome, much more modern sounding however depending on the name the ‘er’ ending and ‘er’ beginning might make it less flowy/ harder to say. Personallh its probably something Id avoid however its really not that big of a thing other than it makes the name a little harder to say.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]- handsome, old fashioned. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] nn [name_m]Archie[/name_m] is actually a really big thing in my family (I think we’re on 6 generations with multiple cousins & uncles & nephews named [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and called Archie) so I can tell you from experience most people dont question it.

I also recently met a man named Karcher and know someone named [name_m]Catcher[/name_m] which I think both could work with the nn [name_m]Archie[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_f]Love[/name_f] gr@nt and @rcher

1 Like

I’m in agreement with @VEL and @Greyblue and would go straight to Archie. It feels well established as is and it makes sense when that is what he is going to be going by. My second choice is Archer.

3 Likes

Same!

Thanks! I really like [name_m]March[/name_m], I’ll have to add that to pile! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I do like [name_m]Archie[/name_m] on its own, but I just don’t think I could take the plunge of putting it on a birth certificate. With the exceptions of my husband and our older son everyone else on both sides of the family has a “formal name” and an “everyday name” so I’d feel better about using that format, as annoying as it can be :joy:

The middle we’re thinking of has a fairly prominent hard “c” sound, but not a “ch”… I’ll have a look for “ch” names!

1 Like

Thank you for your breakdown! I’m originally from the US and I do really like [name_m]Archer[/name_m] (especially because it’s a bit less popular in the UK!) but I feel like the vibe is completely different from [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. To me [name_m]Archer[/name_m] is a really cool and confident guy (maybe that’s a good thing!) and [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] are kind of quiet and bookish.

[name_m]Richard[/name_m] is such an interesting path, I never would have thought of that! Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! Yeah, I think the key is finding a middle ground between old fashioned [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] and modern sounding [name_m]Archer[/name_m], which might be why [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is still in contention even though its stretchier than the others!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Archer[/name_m] is the best match to [name_m]Grant[/name_m] ! Both are strong, masculine no-nonsense names. I like it better than just [name_m]Archie[/name_m] as a full name but love it as a nickname. I wouldn’t think the -er -er ending pattern would be a problem and may sound cool!

[name_m]Archibald[/name_m] does seem old-fashioned and a little fussy next to his cool older brother. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] does too a little bit though… and I like [name_m]Artie[/name_m] better than [name_m]Archie[/name_m] as a nn here.

I’ll offer [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] as a suggestion… It feels similar

Good luck!

1 Like

I think you could get away with having the hard C in there maybe? but I also do just think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] works for [name_m]Archie[/name_m]!

And that does make sense about the formal/everyday name - a lot of people feel that way - and it does give someone options :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only other idea is [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] which I assume is out lol - there used to be a berry on here who had a son named [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] nn [name_m]Archie[/name_m] but it takes a brave soul!

I actually love the idea of [name_m]Arran[/name_m] - very significant place to you all, and I’m not sure if you have a middle yet, but something like [name_m]Arran[/name_m] [name_m]Charlie[/name_m] or [name_m]Arran[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] could get you to [name_m]Archie[/name_m] via the Ar and Ch beginnings.

But if not for [name_m]Arran[/name_m], I do like [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] a lot - it’s clunky and old fashioned, but so, so cool! Reminds me of [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] too which I think is so utterly ripe for revival.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks! I love [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], definitely has some of the same quirkiness.

Thanks!

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband thought [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] were too “out there” when we were discussing girl names so I think [name_m]Archimedes[/name_m] would definitely be out of the question :joy:

1 Like