Ways to get to Jem

I love the nn [name]Jem[/name] for a boy. But I don’t like [name]Jeremiah[/name] or [name]Jeremy[/name]! Can you think of any other ways to get to [name]Jem[/name]? Also what do you think of the nickname?

I’m so glad you like [name]Jem[/name]! I think there are a few ways to get this as a nn:

[name]James[/name]
[name]Jerome[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Oh wow! I love [name]Benjamin[/name] but had always thought of the nn automatically being [name]Ben[/name]! Never though of [name]Jem[/name]! I [name]LOVE[/name] it! [name]Do[/name] you think people would think it strange that his nn would be [name]Jem[/name] and not [name]Ben[/name]?

Hmm–I think people might be surprised, but they are both such solid name/nn that I don’t think anyone would be too confused. And it isn’t common but it is pretty obvious in the sound of the name. I bet you would get lots of “I never thought of that–how cool!” In a lot of ways it is like [name]William[/name] nn [name]Liam[/name].

The only downside I see is that he will probably say “[name]Hi[/name], I’m [name]Benjamin[/name], you can call me [name]Jem[/name]” a lot–but that is true with any nn. My husband is [name]Andrew[/name] [name]James[/name] but EVERYONE calls him AJ. In informal situations he is just AJ, in a formal one he gives the above spiel and it is fine.

Yes… I really like it! [name]Benjamin[/name] is strong and familiar. [name]Jem[/name] gives it that adventerous but cute feel that I’m also looking for. Plus it has literary connections, which is an up side!

you could always have Jem be the initials. for example, James Elliot Michael, nickname Jem.

For the record, I think [name]Benjamin[/name] is a genius way to get to [name]Jem[/name] as a nickname.

But don’t you think everyone is just going to hear/think/think [name]Jim[/name]? “[name]Hi[/name], my name is [name]Benjamin[/name], you can call me [name]Jim[/name]…” I’ve never heard of [name]Jem[/name] as a boy’s nickname and I don’t know if it will stick as [name]Jem[/name] and not transmute to [name]Jim[/name].

I see your point moxie, but [name]Jem[/name] has pretty deep literary roots–so while some might mentally see it as [name]Jim[/name], I think most will hear it correctly. And when you say it (unless you have quite an accent) it is a pretty broad “[name]Em[/name]” sound.

tarat3232 - guess I should clarify: I’ve never heard [name]Jem[/name] on a real boy/man, only in books.

And you’re right, accent makes all the difference.

[name]Ah[/name], gotcha. Ya, I haven’t either, but I really really want to. If I wasn’t going to call my first son [name]Thaddeus[/name] (maybe) [name]James[/name] and call him [name]Jamie[/name], I would totally call him [name]Jem[/name]. I suppose it is “vintage” although I don’t typically think about boys names that way. Hmmmm Bostonsavvy, you just HAVE to name your son [name]Benjamin[/name] nn [name]Jem[/name] so I can say I know one :wink:

[name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables (GREAT series!) her first son’s name is [name]James[/name], but they call him [name]Jem[/name]. I think [name]Benjamin[/name] is a great way to get to [name]Jem[/name] too. I know someone called [name]Jamin[/name] (pronounced [name]Jay[/name]-min) and there is [name]Topher[/name] [name]Grace[/name], who I’m guessing his name is [name]Christopher[/name]!

oh it has links to anne of green gables too?! that makes it even better! i loved those movies when i was little, and the books as well. I’m glad you love it so much tarat… i really love it too :slight_smile: i think i might post another topic under the name discussion forum and see what other berries think of it!