Ways to honour Anne?

My partner and I both have a grandmother named [name_f]Anne[/name_f], while I don’t mind [name_f]Anne[/name_f] on its own I am hoping to find something I love for a potential future little girl.

I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] but it is far too popular for my liking and Frozen has pretty much ruined it. I also like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and all its variants but I still don’t love it.

I don’t want to push [name_f]Anne[/name_f] to the middle spot and I also don’t want to use other ways to honour either of the [name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s such as a favourite flower or birth month/stone. Though these are great ways to honour a single person, I would like to find a clear link to [name_f]Anne[/name_f] to honour both grandmothers who have very different personalities.

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

There are lots of variants and diminutives of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] out there, so you’re spoilt for choice!

Some ideas:

[name_f]Anouk[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneke[/name_f]
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_f]Nanette[/name_f]
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]/[name_f]Hanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Anka[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Anita[/name_f]
[name_f]Annushka[/name_f]/[name_f]Anushka[/name_f]
[name_f]Anica[/name_f]/[name_f]Anika[/name_f]/[name_f]Annika[/name_f]
[name_f]Jana[/name_f]

Are there any combinations (other than [name_f]Annelise[/name_f]) that include [name_f]Anne[/name_f] that you like:
[name_f]Julianna[/name_f] or [name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Roxanna[/name_f] or [name_f]Roxanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Christiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Briana[/name_f] or [name_f]Brianne[/name_f]
Susanna
Adrianne or Adrianna

This page includes a list of international variants of [name_f]Anne[/name_f]:

These pages include names that contain/start with the syllable [name_f]Anne[/name_f]:
https://nameberry.com/search?gender=F&starts_with=&ends_with=&contains=ann&syllables=&origin_id=&derivation=&search=find+names
https://nameberry.com/search?gender=F&starts_with=an&ends_with=&contains=&syllables=&origin_id=&derivation=&search=find+names

If you still want to honor your family, but haven’t found any variations you like, this page includes names with the same meaning as [name_f]Anne[/name_f]:
https://nameberry.com/search?contains=&derivation=grace&ends_with=&gender=&origin_id=&per_page=30&search=find+names&starts_with=&syllables=

Thanks for the great suggestions guys but at this point I’m starting to think that I’m stuck with Anna. I’m really picky with names and the only other Anne related name I like at all is Hannah but Anna still seems so much more classic and beautiful.

I don’t really like most combo names.

There are so many options but none of them seem right.

I recently reread the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables series for the first time as an adult, so I find the name [name_f]Anne[/name_f] magical and perfect right now.

So I’d just suggest reconsidering [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. I’m a purist when it comes to honor names though. So many of the suggestions you’ve gotten here are wonderful and perfectly acceptable, but I think the best way to honor an [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is with the name [name_f]Anne[/name_f].

I have thought about just [name_f]Anne[/name_f] quite a lot but it just doesn’t feel right.

I hadn’t thought of it before but [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] is a name I’ve loved for a while, maybe it would also work as a way to honour [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f] (one of them does go by [name_f]Annie[/name_f]). It’s not as obvious as I would like but I had also already paired [name_f]Bethany[/name_f] with [name_f]Grace[/name_f], same meaning as [name_f]Anne[/name_f] too.

I might try to mention it to the grandmothers, very carefully so that they don’t start hoping that I am with child, and see what they think.

My favourite form of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is [name_f]Anya[/name_f].

You could also get there with [name_f]Liliana[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Adriana[/name_f], [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_f]Brianna[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] is lovely, by the way.

[name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]?

I love [name_f]Vivianne[/name_f]/[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

I don’t mind [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f] but it’s kind of like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] to me, I like it but not enough that I’d be happy to use it.

I love [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] but my partner has ruled out ‘cultural’ names and I guarantee that’s what he’ll say about [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], unrelated to honouring [name_f]Anne[/name_f] but I still love [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] but that’s apparently too Welsh.

I hadn’t thought of [name_f]Vivianne[/name_f] but that’s a good option! I much prefer [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] but [name_f]Vivianne[/name_f] does have a clear nod to [name_f]Anne[/name_f], I will definitely consider that one. Thank you!

What about [name_f]Ana[/name_f]ïs, [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f], [name_f]Angelina[/name_f]/[name_f]Angeline[/name_f], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel/name_f, [name_f]Antonia[/name_f], [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]/[name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_f]Arianna[/name_f], [name_f]Adriana[/name_f], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f], or [name_f]Diana[/name_f]? There’s also [name_f]Angharad[/name_f] but if [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is too Welsh for your husband, [name_f]Angharad[/name_f] most certainly will be too. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_f]Anne[/name_f] are also beautiful names.

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] and/or [name_f]Grace[/name_f] would also work as an honour. And I noticed you have [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] in your signature- that’d honour your grandmothers too, and you can call her [name_f]Annie[/name_f] to make the connection more obvious.