Ways to respell Lorelei?

I really like the name [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. But the first time I saw it, I (embarrassingly) assumed it was pronounced either Lo - reh - [name_m]LAY[/name_m], lay rhymes with day, or Lo-reh-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]. Turns out it’s LO-reh-LIE, rhymes with guy. So I was wondering how to tweak the spelling a bit to make it a bit clear. [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f]? Lorelye? Any ideas?

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] is classic and well known enough that there would be few mistakes in pronunciation with its given spelling.

In general, I tend to prefer the most popular/common spelling for names, as I think it helps to ease confusing about spelling and pronunciation throughout a child’s life. I must admit however that I much prefer the spelling [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] for this name (as in [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls). I don’t know why, I just think it looks much prettier and makes more sense. [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] is the most accepted spelling though, even my computer thinks [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] is a typo…

I think [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] is perfectly clear.

Leave it the way it is, it is always a nice surprise for ppl when they find out how to pron. it; more often than not they know ’ [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]’ then they eventaully need to spell it- as i said, always a lovely surprise. Leave as is, it is looovely :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] equally. Either of those two is fine, but other options seem “kree8ive”

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] is a well-known name, so i wouldn’t worry too much

For what it’s worth, the “[name_f]Lorelai[/name_f]” on [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls was spelt with an “A”. I think it’s a little more intuitive to pronounce that way, but I also think it’s a common enough name that people have seen it before and know how to spell it. It’s lovely, by the way, I would love to meet a little [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]/Lai

The two traditional [name_m]German[/name_m] spellings for [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] are: [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and Loreley.
They are both equally valid though I think that the y version is the older of the two.
In [name_m]German[/name_m] EI is pronounced “eye” and is a common sound. Which is why [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] is pronounced that way.

I like [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f] equally
Also I have heard of Loreley (this pronunciation may be more up in the air with the spelling, but it is pronounced the same)

I think you should stick with [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. A few people may make the same pronunciation mistake you did, but this name is actually fairly well-known even though not commonly used. I imagine most people know how to pronounce it.

I’ve seen [name_f]Lorelai[/name_f]; doesn’t look made up or off to me as far as alternatives to [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] go.

No need to tweak the spelling.