WDYT of Bloom?

WDYT of the name Bloom? A celebrity surname, a nature name & a common verb. Think [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] Bloom meets [name_f]Blossom[/name_f]. This name to me says all girl but the fact that it’s a surname and it belongs to a male actor opens it up to being a unisex option.

It’s a word, not a name. It also doesn’t have a particularly nice sound like [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] does.

1 Like

It’s a GP for me, I don’t think it could work on a real person. If you’re familiar with the Winx Club, the main character/fairy is named Bloom. Maybe as a middle, but not a first.

1 Like

In the film The Brothers Bloom, one of the brothers is just called Bloom. I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for it on a boy ever since. I don’t think I’d use it, but something about it appeals to me.

It also has a great literary pedigree, with [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] Bloom from [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m].

It’s a daring choice, and it’s the sort of name that I think needs a particular sort of person to be able to pull it of, and of course it’s impossible to predict whether or not a child will grow up to be that sort of a person or not. I do like it, though. Great as a character name or a middle name. I’m not sure where I stand on it as a first name. I think I want to like it as a first name, but I feel hesitant about how wearable it actually is.

I did a little research on the surname Bloom and it seems that it can be traced back to an ironworker occupation.

This is the second dictionary entry for bloom (from dictionary.com):

bloom2 [bloom] Show IPA Metalworking.
noun

1. a piece of steel, square or slightly oblong in section, reduced from an ingot to dimensions suitable for further rolling.
  2. a large lump of iron and slag, of pasty consistency when hot, produced in a puddling furnace or bloomery and hammered into wrought iron.
    verb (used with object)
  3. to make (an ingot) into a bloom.

A celebrity surname, a nature name & a common verb?

I think of all of the above when hearing Bloom. It’s more of a guilty pleasure name best used in the middle spot. [name_m]Just[/name_m] suppose your daughter is full-figured (nothing wrong with that body type per se). Unfortunately, I see some teasing potential: “She’s BLOOMING all over, isn’t she?” OR “She’s really in FULL BLOOM”. And of course, Bloom also rhymes with balloon so it would go on ad nauseum. Personally, I wouldn’t want my first name to be Bloom. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something for you to ponder.

1 Like

I agree. I consider it a no go as a first name. As a middle name I could see it working with the right first.

[name_f]Isadora[/name_f] Bloom
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] Bloom
[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] Bloom

1 Like

I think it’s lovely! It’s on my girl list! The only issues I can think of is people mishearing it as [name_u]Blue[/name_u].

I picture a girl but my only experience is a male classmate with this surname. Since he had a common fn shared with several other boys in our school, he was exclusively called Bloom

I saw a [name_m]Jun[/name_m]!per Bloom in my local paper and I thought it was adorable! I like Bloom as an unexpected botanical name - in the middle spot. Not so sure about first. Other than the floral associations, I think of [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] and [name_f]Molly[/name_f] Bloom in [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m].

1 Like

I don’t really like [name_f]Bloom[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] is much better. (Sorry if you disagree)