WDYT of Boris?

Any thoughts on this name?

Too Boris Johnson for me :grimacing: sorry. It does have a cool meaning though

6 Likes

It’s fine name. It’s unusual without being weird and is rather nice.

Unfortunately you’d get too many people criticising your choice because they don’t happen to like one person who bears it. Which is very silly but sadly true.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it. We have a guinea pig called [name_u]Boris[/name_u] :joy:

I don’t like it. It also reminds me of [name_u]Boris[/name_u] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] and that’s definitely not an association I want :grimacing:

2 Likes

i can also only think of boris johnson ://

it doesn’t feel sweet or cute in the way that lots of ‘old man’ type names usually feel.

1 Like

Hmm… I think it’s kind of dashing in a clunky Euro-chic kind of way (think [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_u]Claude[/name_u], [name_m]Hector[/name_m], Maurice) but it’s also very strongly associated with [name_u]Boris[/name_u] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] in my mind, and to a lesser extent the tennis player [name_u]Boris[/name_u] [name_m]Becker[/name_m]. Both have a bit of a “buffoon” image and very chequered personal lives which would ultimately put me off. I do think the sound of the name really fits the “buffoon” vibe too, although maybe it’s just because of those connections!

2 Likes

[name_u]Boris[/name_u] the spider!! :spider:

I think it’s a little “too much” right now with the association to [name_u]Boris[/name_u] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m]. I’ve also never really been a fan of how close it sounds to “boring”.

Really dislike…

Sorry its not for me. It feels too old personish and Boris Johnson is also too much of a strong connection, sorry

I think it’s fine for a pet though

I think it’s a cute name with an old time classic European vibe, unfortunately it’s very closely associated with the UK PM and would be almost unusable for a child today unless there is a specific reasoning such as a family honour name, even then it might surprise people.

I’m not a huge fan but there is a lovely children’s book character called [name_u]Boris[/name_u] (William Steig, [name_u]Amos[/name_u] & Boris!) So that’s one positive connotation :slight_smile:

Must get moose and squirrel!

I love [name_u]Boris[/name_u]! But one of my best friends is called [name_u]Boris[/name_u], so maybe I’m biased :wink: It’s a shame about [name_u]Boris[/name_u] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] though, he might have ruined the name a bit.