WDYT of Cora?

What type of person comes to mind?

[name]Do[/name] you care for the name?

A few people I’ve mentioned this name too didn’t realize it’s an ‘old lady name’, which surprised me.

We’re thinking of [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] if this one is a girl.

DD is [name]Emmy[/name].

I really like [name]Cora[/name]. I’ve only known one and she’s about 8 but she was super hyper and helpful and bright. I think it’s old fashioned in a good way. [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely.

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely! I absolutely adore everything about [name]Cora[/name]–its short-and-sweet appeal, the fact that it was created by [name]James[/name] Fenimore [name]Cooper[/name] for his literary novel, The Last of the Mohicans, its soft sound, its class and charm. It’s the perfect blend between [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Nora[/name], imo.

My only problem is the number of Coras/Korahs/Koras I’ve come across in the past couple years–I’ve met at least six of them, way more than the number of Bellas or Sophies that I’ve come across–put together! It wouldn’t keep me from using it–it’s really one of the few names that I have actually seen the popularity and it doesn’t scare me off–but it is something I’ve thought about because I know so many. I think [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Cora[/name] are adorable together.

The name [name]Cora[/name] reminds me of my Great Grandmother [name]Cora[/name] [name]Alice[/name]. She gave birth to three daughters: [name]Wanda[/name], [name]Pansy[/name], and [name]Geraldine[/name]. She became widowed in 1932 when [name]Lee[/name] accidentally poisoned himself on a batch of homemade moonshine. He forgot to use a copper pipe. According to my Grandmother, [name]Cora[/name] enjoyed making dolls. She remarried sometime after [name]Lee[/name]'s death to a [name]Johnson[/name] who left her when she fell ill to tuberculosis. Unfortunately, she never recovered from the illness and died in 1938 at the age of thirty-two. :frowning:

That being said, I think of her when I hear the name, but I don’t have any bad associations with it. I never knew my Great Grandmother personally but I do think she had a rather tragic life.

I think the name is vintage, classy, and timeless.

To a girl named [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] would be soft spoken & creative/artistic…it has a bit of a granny factor but in a good way imo…the name also brings [name]Connie[/name] [name]Francis[/name] to mind a a subtle way which I like. I prefer [name]Coral[/name] to [name]Cora[/name] but [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] flows perfectly!

I love [name]Cora[/name], and [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is so vintage and wow! I think it’s a great choice.

I love [name]Cora[/name], and especially [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name]! I am seeing [name]Cora[/name] a lot around this forum, though. I believe it’s possibly rising quickly in popularity.

I have also read this about the origin of [name]Cora[/name], but another thing I’ve read is that it is taken from the Greek ‘[name]Kore[/name]’, as in [name]Kore[/name]-[name]Persephone[/name] (usually just known as [name]Persephone[/name], I think the ‘[name]Kore[/name]’ was dropped from usage later in time), and means ‘maiden’ in Greek. But like [name]Ash[/name] said, the first use of [name]Cora[/name] with this spelling (as far as I know) was [name]James[/name] Fenimore [name]Cooper[/name].

I love [name]Cora[/name]! It’s one of my absolute favorites for a girl. [name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is so sweet and vintage. It’s a great choice.

Dark haired waif, artsy, quiet intelligent and a lil quirky,

I really like it soft and strong

Thank you, ladies! I’m so glad to hear that it’s an appealing name. Another poster on a different board also noted that she had met several [name]Cora[/name]'s recently, and the rank does worry me. I’ve never met a [name]Cora[/name], so it does surprise me. I am barely out of first tri, so we have a ways to go with the name game, but this name really does melt my heart, and make me excited. Plus, I love it with DD!

Thank you for all your input!

I have met 2 girls called [name]Cora[/name], a [name]Cara[/name] & a [name]Clara[/name] her in [name]Brooklyn[/name]…I think it’s on trend here. They are all roughly 6 months.

I love the name [name]Cora[/name]. I only know one who is a beautiful middle-schooler who happens to play football. So I guess Strong and Pretty both:) Good luck

[name]Cora[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is really nice together!!

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

I am not a fan. This was the name my mum was going to name my brother had he been a girl, [name]Cora[/name] [name]Virginia[/name]. But it just sounds dated to me and not at all what I would want to be named, so I would never use it.