WDYT of Odin?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries,
We are due with #2 in [name]September[/name], and we won’t find out the sex until next month (if we decide to find out at all). In the meantime, we’re having a hard time coming up with boys’ names that we both like. I had proposed [name]Odin[/name] a while ago, and just yesterday DH brought it up again- it seems he’s growing attached to it. I’m not sure how serious I was about it, so I’m not sure I want him to get attached to it at this point. I can’t decide how I feel about it.

What do you think of [name]Odin[/name]? What kind of person will he grow up to be? Is it too out-there, or just unusual enough? [name]Will[/name] he be able to get a job with that name?

FYI, our DD is named [name]Ravenna[/name] and it suits her perfectly.

Thanks!

[name]One[/name] thing I notice immediately - before I think of the Norse god - is that [name]Odin[/name] is very similar to [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], and Co. This could be both positive and negative. On one hand, your [name]Odin[/name] will be applying for jobs with guys who have names that sound a lot like his. That will make [name]Odin[/name] seem not so out there. On the other hand, your [name]Odin[/name] will be applying for jobs with guys who have names that sound a lot like his. In my opinion, that’s where the rich history and myth behind the name [name]Odin[/name] is totally lost.

If you love the name [name]Odin[/name] and the history and culture that comes with it, by all means name your son [name]Odin[/name]. Stylistically it doesn’t match with [name]Ravenna[/name] (I think). Your daughter’s name has kind of a Gothic vibe while [name]Odin[/name] has kind of an athletic vibe. I’d imagine [name]Ravenna[/name] and [name]Odin[/name] as being on opposite ends of the social spectrum in high school. [name]Ravenna[/name] is the artsy rebel and [name]Odin[/name] is the friendly jock.

I think [name]Odin[/name] would be a unusual and bold choice for [name]Ravenna[/name]'s sibling. I like the Norse mythological association. The name is masculine and yet spunky so I can imagine an outdoorsy type of boy with this name. If you and your DH like it, I would encourage you to choose it!

[name]Odin[/name]'s not really my style, but I do respect it and I think it has a quirky timeless quality. I think [name]Ravenna[/name] and [name]Odin[/name] would be perfect together!

Good luck!

I love it. I wouldn’t use it, as I’m more of a Greek mythology fan myself, but Norse is my second favorite! I think it’s bold and daring, but not nearly as out there as other names I’ve heard. Plus, I know a little boy named Loki, which is from Norse mythology too, so why not Odin? I think it goes great with your daughters name :slight_smile:

It did not at all occur to me that [name]Odin[/name] is like [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], etc. I think it’s in a totally different league. I’m sorry, but to me it sounds a bit… sinister. It feels like one of those asking-for-trouble names.

I love the name [name]Ravenna[/name].

[name]Odin[/name] is a name that would have never occurred to me until my cousin gave his son that name about 3 years ago. It’s not my style, but I don’t think the name should be problematic. Not only are “in/en/an” names trendy, but it at least seems like a real name and not one that you just created, that’s where I think job issues tend to come into play. It’s a strong name, too, which is good.

I love the name [name]Odin[/name]. I think it’s offbeat but wearable.

I actually quite like [name]Odin[/name] on someone elses child. It’s not for me though. I think it’s brave to use it, but there shouldn’t me too much of an issue.

[name]Odin[/name] makes me think of white supremacy only because when I worked in social services I encountered some with children named [name]Odin[/name] and [name]Aryana[/name]. If I could get past that association I might be able to like it

Im not sure why [name]Odin[/name] is popular with white supremacists since I know nothing about Norse mythology or white supremacy but apparently he’s a big deal, it’s a connection I would be concerned about but maybe thats something most people arent aware of. I only knew about it through work.

I knew a siamese cat named [name]Odin[/name]… that and the mythology make me not like it so much, sorry.

Thanks for all your responses. I don’t know anything about Norse mythology so I’ll have to do some reading up on it if we go the [name]Odin[/name] route. TxBelle: scary that [name]Odin[/name] is popular among white supremacists. That gives me pause.

[name]Hi[/name] all - My son is named [name]Odin[/name]! He’s a great kid, and the name fits him - strong and athletic. I have a Scandinavian background so that’s why I liked it - our other kids names are [name]Finley[/name] (we call him [name]Finn[/name]) and [name]Sofia[/name]. And I liked that it’s different but can fit in with all the Aidens etc.