WDYT of Toulouse and Berlioz?

My daughter watches Disney Aristocats at least twice a day. The boy kittens in the movie are named [name]Toulouse[/name] pronounced To-looz and Berlioz pronounced BAIRL-YOZE. Have you ever heard of these naems? [name]Do[/name] you like them?

For [name]Toulouse[/name] I think of the painter [name]Toulouse[/name]-[name]Lautrec[/name] and I think there is a city [name]Toulouse[/name] in [name]France[/name] as well. I’ve never heard of Berlioz.

I believe the kittens are named after [name]Toulouse[/name] [name]Lautrec[/name] (he was a painter) and [name]Hector[/name] Berlioz (a French composer), but I could be wrong.

I’m not a fan of either, personally, especially Tolouse, because it sounds like “to lose” and contains the word “louse.” :slight_smile:

I loved The Aristocats when I was little!

Take care!

[name]Edit[/name]: Oops! Gwensmom and I posted at the same time, so sorry for the repeat!

Personally, I would not name my child either of these names. The pn issues would be a major problem with me. They are just not my style.

gwensmon and [name]Jill[/name],
I think you girls are right about [name]Toulouse[/name] being named after the painter and Berlioz named after the composer. It makes sense since one kitten paints all the time and the other play the piano. Also agree that [name]Toulouse[/name] does not sound so great in english because of the loose part. Berlioz could be a kinda cool middle name.

Although these kittens in the movie have substantial namesakes, I pretty much would not name someone (including a pet, or even random inanimate objects) after a cartoon cat unless I became, or already was, familiar with the work of its namesake, and that person’s work was meaningful to me. That’s the first thing I would do for a cool name, would be to locate the source and make sure it’s still cool, and next, I would weigh how difficult or not this name would make my child’s life for having it.

[name]Karen[/name] absolutely agree! I am not thinking of naming any of my children these names I just thought these names were interesting and wanted to share them.

My husband and I both loved [name]Toulouse[/name]. The only thing that I didn’t like about this name is that I could find no meaning for it. [name]Toulouse[/name]-Letrec was called [name]Toulouse[/name] after the place, I believe because he was from there. I found that [name]Toulouse[/name] used to be called Tolosa, but still couldn’t find a meaning.

I am an artist. If I were going to name my son after an artist, I would name him [name]Vincent[/name] after [name]Vincent[/name] [name]Van[/name] Gogh. [name]Georgia[/name] after [name]Georgia[/name] O’[name]Keefe[/name] would be a great name for a little girl.
[name]Toulouse[/name] and Berlioz would be wonderful names for circus horses, parrots, parakeets, or even little kittens.
I don’t know enough about composers. I do love Schubert so much. Das Ist [name]Sylvia[/name]! [name]Sylvia[/name] is pretty. [name]Don[/name]'t like [name]Wolfgang[/name] - [name]Mozart[/name]'s first name. Oh, how about [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Bach[/name]'s middle name? Two great musical names: [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Sylvia[/name].