Wdyt Rafe???

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone,

I recently discovered [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] and was wondering what people thought of it. Could it be a stand alone first name or should it just be a short form?

Favourite long version?

I’m liking [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] at the moment but have a very common, English surname so not sure if that’s an issue, wdyt?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] to hear your thoughts as always :blush:

It sounds like a nickname for [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] to me. I don’t really like it as a full name.

[name_m]Raphael[/name_m] has always been a first name in my experiences.

Overall, I prefer it as a nickname.

Thanks fearlessforefly!

I think I’m feeling that way as well.

Sorry I meant I’m not sure if our surname is a mismatch… something like [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] [name_m]Watson[/name_m] - does it look weird?

You’re welcome!

I don’t think it looks weird. It has a good flow to it.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think that [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is super cool. It just sounds like a chill, nice guy who works w/his hands, you know? I like it on its own, but I also think that [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] & [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] nn [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] are very handsome.

Hpoe this helps. :slight_smile:

To me [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is all-in nickname for [name_m]Rafael[/name_m] / [name_m]Raphael[/name_m], and I think it’s great!

Thanks for the feedback!

Now I’ll just have to see if I can get it over the line with DH who is not very adventurous but loves nicknames ”

[name_u]Rafe[/name_u] is nice though i do prefer it as a nn to [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] (which feels versatile and international to me)

Thanks greyblue! Appreciate your comments

I really like [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] nn Raph or [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] ”

[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]: I think [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] can definitely stand alone. I think [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] can go with any surname!

If I’m honest… [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] reminds me of rape. I really want to like it because it looks cool but I can’t get over that association.

I think I like it more as a nickname but it could work on its own.

I actually know a baby [name_u]Rafe[/name_u], just [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] not a nn, and it works well in real life.

I personally like it as a nn for [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] as [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] and [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] have two VERY different vibes to me.

I do know what you mean lonestar, I know [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] won’t be something DH would consider but I’m not sure [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] is as accessible if that makes sense?
It might be another one of those times where I like the nn but not the long form or vice verse!

I absolutely love [name_u]Rafe[/name_u]. It’s not unusual where I live, but nowhere near overused either, and it strikes me as a really friendly yet distinguished sort of a name. It definitely stands alone.

I also love [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] and Raph, great names! I see no reason why you couldn’t use [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] with an English surname. I know one with a very Irish surname and it works just fine.

I don’t really like the sound of it personally.

Very much love [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] though. And it is a thoroughly international name with a long history of usage in most European countries/languages. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t see why you couldn’t use it with any given surname.

I think it’s fine but I prefer [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] personally. I don’t see why [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] couldn’t be paired with an English surname. It’s a Biblical name that has been used in [name_m]Britain[/name_m] for a long time.

All the [name_m]Raff[/name_m]’s I know are short for [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] or [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] which I love. It’s a great name and NN.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] something personal but seeing [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] makes me want to pronounce it [name_u]Rafe[/name_u] to rhyme with safe … I’d spell it Raf or [name_m]Raff[/name_m] to get that pronunciation.