Wdyt?

I was at a family reunion and decided to visit the family and I came across some names that I thought were kind of interesting.
Other than the usual [name_m]Williams[/name_m], [name_m]Roberts[/name_m], [name_f]Marys[/name_f], Marthas there was:

Finas E. (b.1828)
Maila [name_f]Mae[/name_f] (b.1942) not sure how to pronounce the first name
[name_f]Ardath[/name_f] (b.1919)
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u] (b.1848)
Misaniah Narciss (b.1850)
Safronia [name_u]Odell[/name_u] (b.1872)
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Palestine (b.1875) interesting to find Palestine in the middle, love it
Gerlinda [name_f]May[/name_f] (b.1870)
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] Pernetta (b.1826) like this combo
Dalphus [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] (b.1925)
Parallee (b.1884)
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] Chilote (b.1898) not sure how to pronounce the middle name
Wave Sr. (b.unknown) interesting first name
[name_f]Amanda[/name_f] [name_f]Madora[/name_f] (b.1865) Aunt [name_f]Amanda[/name_f], middle name is interesting
Peninniah [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] (b.1859)
Akery [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] (b.1911)
Exlene [name_f]Julia[/name_f] (b.1927) very interesting to me
Mayolar (b.1914)
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] (b.1919) I thought this was a really beautiful combo
Analyza (b.1855)
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] (b.1869)
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (b.1859) beautiful and classic
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Raymond[/name_m] (b.1859) I adore this combo
Cartha (b.1901) [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Martha[/name_f]?
[name_u]Bird[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] (b.1841)

What do you think of these names?

Wow, a lot of interesting ones. Quite a few of them seem made up, but they still sound nice! At least people back in the day knew how to create good names :stuck_out_tongue:

Oscar Lavender is a really interesting combo

ETA: I would pronounce Chilote like it was Hispanic - chee-LOW-tay. No clue if that’s correct or not, though.

Many are a bit… strange.
I like [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f].
…Analyza? I thought kr8iv spellings were fairly recent.

[name_u]Bird[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] is cute.

Finas E. - interesting!
[name_f]Ardath[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Ardith[/name_f], never seen this spelling
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] Pernetta - pretty!
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] - gorgeous!!
Analyza - lol, that one’s funny!
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] - very pretty

Cool list! The names from the mid-1800s are so typical of the time period – love it! Peninniah, [name_u]Bird[/name_u], Safronia and Gerlinda especially – and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Palestine!

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] is ready to cash in on the 100-year rule, for sure!

Exlene had me scratching my head until I saw she was born in 1927. [name_m]Ah[/name_m], yes that doesn’t seem quite so out-there anymore!

I wonder what the story is behind [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]. Was it a man or a woman? Surname plus feminine middle? Or maybe masculine first plus an honor name?
I really enjoyed seeing these – thanks for sharing!

I have a blast looking at old names. Im guessing [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] was a man because he shared a spot with a [name_f]Martha[/name_f].

[name_u]Bird[/name_u], Palestine and Wave all jump out to me as being amazing names. I’ve laways loved the name [name_f]Birdie[/name_f] but never thought of it being wearable and I love unusual geographical baby names so Palestine ticks those boxes ([name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Israel[/name_m] too). Wave is so unique, almost a nn and is utterly refreshing X

I was recently looking over the 1880 SSA list and also noticed some unusual ones that I see here like [name_f]Paralee[/name_f], [name_u]Bird[/name_u], and Pernetta. There were a ton of surnames bestowed upon males at that time, as well.

Totally agree about [name_f]Geneva[/name_f]…if I were a betting girl I’d put money on that one becoming popular…at least on NB. I bet it hit its nadir last year and is poised for a resurgence. [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f] would make a great middle. [name_f]Madora[/name_f] has grown on me; I actually knew someone with that name (or it might have been [name_f]Medora[/name_f]) [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know the meaning of Finas but is sounds sorta neat.

Would definitely avoid Narciss. I don’t know if that is supposed to be related to Narcissism, but is sure sounds like it :confused:

There are a lot of great names here! I love [name_u]Bird[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

Oh my word, [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]?! [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] itl that and [name_u]Bird[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] :slight_smile: And [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. And [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] (I usually am not a [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] fan)

[name_f]Ardath[/name_f] is interesting. I’ve heard [name_f]Ardith[/name_f] & [name_f]Ardeth[/name_f] before, but never [name_f]Ardath[/name_f]. I wonder if it’d be pronounced the same?
Safronia, Wave, Akery, and Exlene are all neat, too!