We love "Jasper" for a girl. What do you think?

We really the name [name]Jasper[/name]. It is without a doubt our 1st choice. While many friends / family we tell love it too, the response has been really polarizing. Some relatives are aghast and tell us it is absolutely without a doubt a boys name.

…10 years ago [name]Hayden[/name] was only a boys a name. What about [name]Madison[/name], etc. [name]Do[/name] you think it is ok for a girl? Help, we need a reality check :slight_smile:

I’m totally into boy’s names for girls. I don’t follow the “norms” when it comes to genders. I met a girl named [name]Mason[/name] at the grocery store the other day, and she was at least 18 or so. I asked her, and she loved her name. I think having a name like [name]Jasper[/name] would make her stand out in a crowd, it’s very cool.

[name]Jasmine[/name] by all means as you get the same nn but No, No and No to using it for a girl.

I’ve heard of girls named [name]James[/name], [name]Edward[/name], [name]Bruce[/name], [name]Joseph[/name] and [name]Isaac[/name]. Doesn’t make the names work.

I wouldn’t put [name]Jasper[/name] on a level with those. I never liked the name, because it doesn’t feel like a boy’s name. Doesn’t feel like a girl’s name either, or a unisex name. It doesn’t feel like either to me, which is why I’d never use it myself.

while I agree some names are quite cute on both girl and boys…(eg [name]Harper[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Reese[/name])I do not like [name]Jasper[/name] for a girl at all.

I like it better on a girl than on a boy to be honest - i know thats weird but there you have it

I also know a little girl named [name]James[/name] and it suits her to a T, I’m in love with it and the nickname [name]Jamie[/name]

No, no, no…save it for when you have a boy.

Since jasper is a reddish stone, how about [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jasper[/name]?

[name]Jasper[/name] sounds particularly unfeminine to me. It sounds like a name for someone like [name]Creed[/name] from The Office.

No, please don’t!

I went to middle school with a girl named [name]Jasper[/name], she’s the only [name]Jasper[/name] I’ve ever met so the name seems feminine to me. She’s probably about 27 now. I always thought her name was awesome. And her sister’s name was [name]Topaz[/name], thought I’d mention it in case you like it.

My problem is not that I don’t like it for a girl… it’s just that i don’t like it at all.
I have nothing against boy’s names for girls, though I prefer strong, womanly names the most (vs. girly names)

No no no, please don’t!

I like this name for a boy and I think it’s quite sad that a lot of traditionally male names are being given to girls and making them unsuable for boys. What are the boys going to be left with if there are girls called [name]Jasper[/name], [name]James[/name] and [name]Bruce[/name]?!

Maybe we’ll have to start calling our boys [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name]?

Some names have been unisex for so long now I don’t mind, like [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Morgan[/name] etc. But I think it has to stop somewhere!

I think that you’ve alredy decided by the way that you decided in your first post… you love love love the name! Name her [name]Jasper[/name]! You love it, you said so yourself… i was shocked by how many don’t like it… its so cute! Its not like as a boys name its the most masculine anyways! My sister’s name is [name]Brett[/name] and she is mid-20s now and loves it! [name]Jas[/name] would be an adorable nickname… if you’re really concerned maybe try playing with the spelling a bit? if you’re into that… nothing too crazy though so that people still have a reasonable idea how to spell and pronounce it.

I don’t really like it either, but contrarily, I think it sounds more like a girls’ name, like [name]Heather[/name] or [name]Kristen[/name], it just has that sort of feel to it.

[name]Love[/name] it! Totally cute!!

I am sorry, but it is not a good idea to give your daughter a name which will constantly have people mistaking her for a boy. Why not use a traditional girls’ name with a masculine nickname, such as [name]Alexandra[/name] nn [name]Alex[/name] or [name]Andy[/name], [name]Francesca[/name] nn [name]Frank/name?

If I were a child with a name for the opposite gender, I would feel as though my parents had not bothered to look up the name, or as though they had really wanted a boy.

My son is called [name]Jasper[/name], and it is not going to the girls - indeed, it has recently come back into vogue for boys.

[name]Jasper[/name] for a girl is fine.

I dont like [name]Jasper[/name] for a girl, but I dont like names like [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Hayden[/name] for a girl either.

I think you should go for it. If you and your husband both love [name]Jasper[/name] on a girl, then use it! I think it sounds more unisex than some others that I’ve been hearing and my husband has always said that he thinks it’s a bit too feminine for a boy.

[name]Don[/name]'t let anyone else’s opinions change your mind because in the end it’s only your thoughts that matter! Good luck.