We LOVE Theodore....

[name]Theodore[/name] has been at the top of my name list for a long time, and DH loves it too. But it’s really just about the only boy’s name we both adore. We have short list of others that we both like, and I have a longer list of names that I like…but nothing has the same spark as [name]Theodore[/name] (we like the nn [name]Theo[/name], but [name]Ted[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] are great too!).

I would say that in general we like substantial, classic sounding names that are similar in popularity to [name]Theodore[/name]–not unheard of, but not very common. We’re fans of old fashioned names too, but not exclusively. We love [name]Theodore[/name] for it’s classic sound, but modern nickname [name]Theo[/name], and for the variety of nicknames. We’re looking for middle name ideas as well as ideas for possible male siblings.

Here are some other names that we both like, but don’t love. We’d love suggestions for other names like [name]Theodore[/name]! And for reference, our top three girls’ names are [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name]–([name]Eloise[/name] would actually be [name]Eleanor[/name] but it’s too rhyme-y with [name]Theodore[/name], right?)

Other names:
[name]Jack[/name]/[name]Jackson[/name]–this was at the top of my list of a while, but it lost it’s spark somewhere.
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]

I really feel like we’ve exhausted all the name options and should just give up and resolve to only have one son haha. But maybe someone has some great suggestions for us?

ETA: Our LN is Schuester, so we find that most two-syllable boys’ names ending in -er ([name]Peter[/name], [name]Carter[/name]) don’t really fit. The only -er ending we’ve heard that could work is [name]Oliver[/name], but the matching endings still bug me.

1 Like

I like a lot of the names on both your boy and girl lists! I particularly like [name]Eloise[/name] with [name]Theodore[/name].

Other ‘substantial’ boy names I can think of:
[name]Archibald[/name] - [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Archie[/name] would be so adorable as brothers!
[name]Leopold[/name] - not the best option if you plan to use [name]Theo[/name]. However, it could work if you plan to use [name]Ted[/name].
[name]Adam[/name] - classic and underused
[name]Walter[/name] - great namesakes in [name]Walt[/name] [name]Whitman[/name] and [name]Walt[/name] Disney!
[name]Reginald[/name] - [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Reggie[/name]!

Its true that [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] rhyme, but I don’t think it would be an issue if you plan to use nicknames. No one would bat an eye at brother/sister [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Nora[/name].

The first name to come to mind was [name]Walter[/name]! Also, [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Arthur[/name] would go well with [name]Theodore[/name].

I agree with the pp – I like the sibset [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name]! NN’s [name]Theo[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] would be great.

You have many of the same names on your list that I do. Some of these suggestions are a bit out there, but here goes:

[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Ambrose[/name]
[name]Clement[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Matthias[/name]
[name]Octavian[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Alvar[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Edwin[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Cyril[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Emilian[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]Laurence[/name]
[name]Alonzo[/name]
[name]Mortimer[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]
[name]Esmond[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
Macsen
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Armand[/name]
[name]Adrian[/name]

I adore [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name]. If it weren’t for DH, [name]Theodore[/name] would be in my top 5 for sure.

A few from my long list that haven’t been mentioned yet:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Lawrence[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]

Well I just had a little [name]Theodore[/name], so I’ll just suggest the other boy names I love. Actually first thing that comes to mind is [name]Henry[/name]. When I thought I was having two boys they were going to be [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name], plus I see a lot of other people here talk about them together.

[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Walter[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Jonathan[/name] - I think this would fit better with your style and get you [name]Jack[/name]. [name]Jackson[/name] doesn’t seem to fit with your style. [name]Just[/name] [name]John[/name] works too.
[name]Nathaniel[/name]

I love [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] too! I don’t think [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] is too bad, especially since they’ll usually go by nicknames instead of full names. If you’re having more than two kids I think it would be fine. [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Eleanor[/name] would be so cute!

[name]Just[/name] wanted to point out that [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] sound great together BUT…

[name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name]
and
[name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] from [name]Alvin[/name] and the Chipmunks…

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

And yeah, I didn’t mention it, but the [name]Roosevelt[/name]‘s, and the chipmunk couple are another reason why we probably wouldn’t use [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] in a sibset, despite how lovely [name]Eleanor[/name] is. Since DH and I love quite a few girls’ names and so few boys’ names, [name]Theodore[/name] wins out. And [name]Theodore[/name] & [name]Penelope[/name] is our favorite boy/girl sibset so far ([name]Theo[/name] & [name]Penny[/name], or [name]Theo[/name] & [name]Nell[/name]/[name]Nella[/name]/[name]Nelly[/name] if we use nicknames).

Of the suggestions these stand out:
[name]Frederic[/name] (I’m not sure why but I like this so much better without the K)

• Thinking over [name]Frederic[/name] also made me rethink [name]Franklin[/name], which could be a possibility for us.
        [name]Desmond[/name] – I loved this character on lost and was really sold on the name for awhile, but let myself forget about it when DH wasn’t as taken with it.
        [name]Hugo[/name]–I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Hugo[/name] (hmm, Lost again hah) I like -O endings actually: [name]Milo[/name], [name]Bruno[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Theo[/name], etc. DH only likes [name]Theo[/name], and kind of likes [name]Milo[/name]. I think it might be too matchy to use another -O name with [name]Theo[/name] in a sibset anyway.
        [name]Edwin[/name]-- I like most [name]Ed[/name]- names: [name]Edward[/name], [name]Edmund[/name], even [name]Edison[/name].
        [name]Isaac[/name]-- DH is just a big [name]Isaac[/name] Asimov buff, so I know he’s enjoy this. I think it’s nice,but I don’t have that [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] reaction like I do with [name]Theodore[/name]…
        DH joked the other day that we’ll have to stop after having just one because we’ll never love a name as much as [name]Theodore[/name] haha.

We’re still not settled on a mn either… we’ve tossed around family names so far, which include: [name]Jack[/name], [name]John[/name], [name]David[/name], [name]George[/name], [name]Ryan[/name] (for which he’s also suggested [name]Orion[/name]). From the above: [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Desmond[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] could work, maybe? Boys’ names are hard…