We'll probably end up taking these 3 picks to the hospital

See the results of this poll: Edmund’s middle

Respondents: 79 (This poll is closed)

• Edmund Ambrose : 48 (61%)
  • Edmund Bernard : 13 (16%)
  • Edmund Thaddeus: 18 (23%)

[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]! I’m a huge fan of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. It’s an underused gem.

Wow [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] is so handsome! But all three are great!

I voted for [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] just because I like it far and away above [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m]. I think all 3 sound good though. My 2nd choice is [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m].

I voted for [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], because it’s a favorite of mine and I was really excited to see it as an option!

This is so difficult! I can see why you’re torn, all three are wonderful choices with such weight and history behind them.

I would eliminate [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] first because I find the flow a little clunky with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. Not only do they end with the same sound, but they’re the same length, with the stress in the same place, as is your surname.

[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] has the same length and stress as well, but I think it works much better. It sounds very distinct and its softness and smoothness makes a lovely contrast with strong [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and your powerful surname.

[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] is a huge favourite of mine and I love the softer sounds and different syllable lengths in this combo.

Still, I’ve also surprised myself by slightly preferring [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] here! The flow is great, I think it fits perfectly with your other kids’ names, and it feels so wonderfully unexpected, despite being a great, solid, traditional saint’s name. An underused gem.

Good luck!

I like Edmund Ambrose best - it’s a slower paced name and very handsome. But there’s something faster paced and victorious about Thaddeus if that’s the vibe you’re after.

If the others, I think Phillip sounds the strongest with Edmund.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], it is one of my personal favourites.
Although I like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] as an actual name, I voted for [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] as the flow was beautiful.
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] & [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] are good as well.

Of your top 3 picks, my favorite is [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. I like the softness of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] to complement [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]'s strength. The flow is great too, it reads as the name of someone dignified, like a judge or famous author.

Of the other contenders, my favorite is [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Philip[/name_m]. I absolutely adore [name_m]Philip[/name_m] and I think he sounds lovely with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] as well. He gives him a dose of upbeat vintageness that makes me think of a spritely little boy who loves to play outdoors and explore and learn all he can.

I don’t think you can go wrong though, all the choices you have seem very solid. Good luck on deciding and I hope you have a smooth delivery!

Looks like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is the runaway winner. I was definitely more interested in comments than poll results, but it is hard to ignore the huge advantage to [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. Keep the votes and comments coming - this is definitely helpful feedback to take to the hospital.

Two other things: 1 - is [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] the favorite of the 3 names or just the name that flows the best with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]? 2 - does [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] seem too feminine?

I voted for [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], I thought it flowed best with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. The other two options seemed clunky with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m].

I love the name [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], and I prefer the flow of [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] to the other two options. I especially dislike the flow of [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Bernard[/name_m], though [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] is a great name.

No, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is not too feminine. It sounds very handsome and stately.

1. For me personally, [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] is my overall favourite of the three — as in, the one I would pick as a first name for my child, if these were the three options. But I voted [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] here. I just love it with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], love it in your sibset, and think it’s a wonderful, vastly underappreciated name that deserves more use.

2. Absolutely not! The gentle sound of [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is exactly why it feels so perfect with ever-so-slightly clunky [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] to me. They balance each other so beautifully! I’m not really a believer in boy names being “too feminine” anyway — all that usually seems to mean is slightly softer sounds; I’ve seen even the most solid and traditional male names like [name_m]Julian[/name_m] and [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] described as “too feminine” on here… eh? [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is wonderful!

I really love [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] but with your last name I think [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] sounds just a bit smoother but you cant go wrong with either. I like [name_m]Bernard[/name_m] as a name but I dont think it sounds quite right next to [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and it’s a bit too similar to [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] best. All three middles are great but in general, I prefer that the first and middle names have a different number of syllables.