Wesley, Westley, Weston

My favorite is actually [name]Westley[/name]… But what are your thoughts on that? The reason is because pretty much the first thing my husband and I did together was watch The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name], and the main character is [name]Westley[/name]. I do think [name]Wesley[/name] would still honor that, but not quite a nicely. Also, I think the T adds a little something… I can’t quote put my finger on it. I’m afraid [name]Wesley[/name] seems too weak, but to me [name]Westley[/name] doesn’t. Also, I’m from the west coast, but will be moving back to the [name]East[/name] coast soon, so I like that [name]Westley[/name] would sort of honor me but not in an obvious way. Also, my husband loves the nn [name]West[/name], I like [name]Wes[/name] and [name]West[/name] pretty equally. I also like [name]Weston[/name] because it’s got a much more modern vibe and I think more people would like it, and people might really hate [name]Wesley[/name] or [name]Westley[/name]. It also sounds almost exactly like my aunt’s family’s surname and I don’t like that.

So, what vibes does each name give you? Which do you prefer? What do you think the general public would think?

[name]Just[/name] have to say, I absolutely love the movie the [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name]. The first time I watched it, I was in middle school, but even today, it just cracks me up :slight_smile:

I definitely prefer [name]Westley[/name] over [name]Wesley[/name]. I find [name]Wesley[/name] a teensy bit hard to say - when I try to pronounce it, I say “[name]Westley[/name]”, then have to correct myself and say “[name]Wesley[/name]”. [name]Just[/name] be aware with all three names: names ending in -ley and -on are extremely trendy/popular right now, so you might want to keep that in mind if you don’t want a popular name. However, all three names seem to contain a lot of meaning for you which I think can trump popularity if you really love the name.

In terms of [name]Westley[/name] vs [name]Weston[/name], I find [name]Weston[/name] to be the “stronger” name, but I actually prefer [name]Westley[/name]. [name]Weston[/name] just makes me think of the [name]Westin[/name] Hotels, and since you already mentioned that it sounds like your aunt’s surname (which you don’t like), I think [name]Westley[/name] has so much more going for it than [name]Weston[/name].

Good luck!

• [name]Sydnee[/name]

This is something I’ll probably never say out loud to anyone I know in real life, but I love The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name] so much. I love [name]Westley[/name] (his hair in the movie is exactly [name]Derrick[/name]'s from 10 years ago, lol…so perfect) and I definitely agree that the ‘t’ adds something to the name. I think it sounds more masculine and definitely stronger. I like [name]Weston[/name] too but it’s actually a last name that a lot of my relatives have. Thinking about it more, I do think that [name]Weston[/name] seems more modern, and I do think it might fit in better among the more popular names of today (and yeah, I think the majority of people would think it was cooler than [name]Westley[/name]) but I actually much prefer [name]Westley[/name] and even [name]Wesley[/name].

Wait, I think I’ve said these names too many times in my head just now, lol. Now they all sound weird.

Never be ashamed to like The [name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name]! Best movie ever! “That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.” Hahaha, I love that line.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’m glad to hear that you both prefer [name]Westley[/name]! I thought everyone would say it’s just a misspelling of [name]Wesley[/name]. But I’m happy to hear that you think the T adds something! I agree that it does seem stronger, I have no idea why, but it does. I still have a feeling my family would cringe at it at first, but I think with the nn [name]West[/name] they would grow to love it. And about [name]Weston[/name], yeah, see it fits in better with other popular names, which is a plus and a minus for me. I really do like it and I know for a fact I’d get less “Hmm, that’s an interesting name” comments… But I don’t think it’s timeless like [name]Westley[/name] is. And I have a feeling [name]Westley[/name] would really grow on people.

[name]Syd[/name], I’m really not worried about it seeming trendy. I think it’s really far removed from the other -lye names, I’m definitely more concerned about people thinking it was totally nerdy than too trendy!

When I was pregnant I worked for a [name]Wes[/name] ([name]Wesley[/name]). Maybe that’s why I started liking the name. [name]Chris[/name] and I both loved it so much but didn’t want to use it while it was my boss’ name! We said we’d use it for boy number two! At that time we were going to name the baby [name]Alfred[/name] and I thought [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Wesley[/name] was so great. Then we switched [name]Alfred[/name] and I didn’t like [name]Wesley[/name] with our new choices. But he’s never been off my short list, and now he might be number one. [name]Chris[/name] is pretty stoked over it. My combo is [name]Westley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Atlas[/name] and we both [name]LOVE[/name] it so much. I think he sounds like the perfect brother for [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Rowe[/name].

[name]Dash[/name] and [name]West[/name]…so awesome! Such a great sibset!

Ditto to [name]Dash[/name] and [name]West[/name]! [name]Westley[/name] is awesome–go for it!

I really dig the name ‘[name]Westley[/name]’. ‘[name]Wesley[/name]’ is so much like ‘[name]Lesley[/name]’ (so much that my b/f has pointed out he prefers the way I spell my name–it’s [name]Leslie[/name]–b/c the spelling ‘[name]Lesley[/name]’ reminds him of the boys name ‘[name]Wesley[/name]’ too much!).
And if you love the name, I wouldn’t quibble too
much about what anyone else may think of it–you just can’t please all the people all the time!! :wink:

I prefer [name]Westley[/name] to [name]Wesley[/name], too and agree that the t makes the name stronger! [name]Westley[/name] nn [name]West[/name] is a very handsome name! I really like it. :wink:

As far as [name]Weston[/name] goes, I also like that a lot, too. However, I’d say go with [name]Westley[/name] because it has more meaning for you, and you seem to like it better on the whole.

And WOW-I think [name]Westley[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Atlas[/name] goes marvelously with [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] [name]Rowe[/name]! [name]Love[/name] the alliteration thing you’ve got going on! :wink: I agree with the others that [name]Dash[/name] & [name]West[/name] are superb together!

Best of luck!

~*~Nameseeker3

[name]Weston[/name] is probably my fav. It would also be cute because [name]Easton[/name] is rising in popularity. [name]Imagine[/name] best friends names [name]Easton[/name] & [name]Weston[/name]? :slight_smile:

My friend named her daughter [name]Wesley[/name], so that one’s fallen to the girls for me, personally (although I really don’t expect this to be the case for everyone).

There’s a town in [name]England[/name] called [name]Weston[/name]-Super-[name]Mare[/name], so that would rule it out for me.

I have to admit that on first seeing [name]Westley[/name], I thought it looked too close to a misspelling. However! I [name]LOVE[/name] the nickname [name]West[/name], so it won me over.

My son’s name is [name]Weston[/name] so I’m obviously biased. But I love [name]Westley[/name] as well. I will say as far as [name]Weston[/name] goes, I usually get nothing but compliments on his name and I think I love it more now than when we first named him! He goes by [name]Wes[/name] which fits him to a tee. Great name either way, you can’t go wrong!

My middle name is [name]Wesley[/name]…I like it, but I didn’t used to. I wanted to change it to something lame when I was in 3rd grade. I actually prefer [name]Weston[/name], but [name]Wesley[/name] or [name]Westley[/name] is a cool name, not very common at least when I was growing up. I knew one other [name]Wes[/name]…I go by my first name though.