What about this Finnish name???

My grandmother was born and raised in Finland and had a WONDERFUL middle name - Lyyli. Although in Finland it is said LUH-[name]Lee[/name]… She always said Lie-[name]Lee[/name]… Americanizing it.

I think this is such a beautiful name but I have reservations about using a name with a Finnish Origin… It almost seems like one of those made up names that people add Y’s to… to add some flair.

What does everyone think of the name Lyyli? I love it so much… but I just really can’t get past the fact that I would feel compelled to explain how I found the name and why it is spelled the way it is and that I didn’t just randomly make it up. Any ideas?

PS. She had two middle names… Lyyli Maaria. My name is [name]Maria[/name] after her. I would love to use Lyyli [name]Maria[/name]!

That is a beautiful name…how lucky you are that it is also a family name and therefore has even more meaning. It would be a shame not to use it in my opinion.
That being said, I can see your concerns! You could take out one of the 'y’s, but then you are left with Lyli – which just looks like a made up version of the name [name]Lily[/name] (I think people would probably pronounce Lyli as [name]Lily[/name], too). Another option would be spelling it Lyeli – but then I suppose you risk some people pronouncing it “Lie-[name]Ellie[/name]” or “Lie-[name]Eli[/name]”
Another option is spelling it Lylee?
I can understand if you want to keep the authentic version/spelling of the name. It doesn’t look “made up” to me when I see it. I actually think to myself “that is a pretty Finnish or Scandinavian name” BUT I also wouldn’t be sure I was pronouncing it correctly if I came across it for the first time.

thank you so much! I do think it is SO beautiful. My other option would be using another version… [name]Lydia[/name]… which was my great grandmothers name. Now I love [name]Lydia[/name]… but I am not sold on it. It’s too… what’s the word… BEETLEJUICE!! That is all I can think of. But perhaps because I am 26 and beetlejuice was big big big on TV when I was small. I do like it though. I just love the way Lyyli sounds. I mean I guess you just take the name on and just know that basically you will have to explain to everyone how to spell it. My maiden name is an 11 letter TOTAL polish last name and I think I am just used to spelling it out!

I am glad you loved the name… it might just reinforce how gorgeous it is that we really should use it!!

I like it although I don’t like it said LIE-lee. I much prefer the LUH-lee pronunciation. It seems more soft and delicate. I think if you love it then you should use it. It is a very pretty name and I think it would have a great story that I’m sure your daughter would love to hear.

Honestly, it looks like a horrible tryndeigh version of [name]Lily[/name]. In this case, I don’t even think the fact that it’s a legitimate Finnish name and that it’s an important family name is redeeming. The double Y is pretty much unheard of in English, so it’ll be met with a lot of odd looks and pronunciation issues.

In a vacuum, I like it-- it’s interesting and has a pretty sound. I just don’t think it’s usable in an English speaking area. It’d make an awesome middle name, though, and I think you could even use it as a nickname for [name]Lydia[/name]. Or any L name, really. My sister has a nickname very similar in pronunciation to Lyyli and her name is [name]Lucia[/name]. So you could do [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Lucille[/name], [name]Luna[/name], etc. and use Lyyli as a nickname.

Yes I understand what you mean with the double y’s. I think that is the hardest part. You would ALWAYS explain why it was the way it was. Such has her other middle name Maaria… My name is [name]Maria[/name] - obviously my mother dropped one A.

I do think maybe [name]Lydia[/name] and calling her Lyyli would be OK. But I do not generally care for nn’s at all. There are four kids in my family and none of us are called by any other names. I think because they are all semi short. So I just sort of grew up preferring the formal names. I prefer to just use a full first name that really cannot inherit a nickname. But I am open to [name]Lydia[/name] and calling her Lyyli. Because then we can use my other favorite middle name. [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Adele[/name] is pretty :o)

If you love it and Lyyli is a family name do it. You will probably have a twinge of regret if you don’t use it. My sister regrets not using an unusual Norwegian family name for one of her three daughters. I think Lyyli is simple and exotic. Where I live in the upper midwest it would be an acceptable name. Finnish names look strange, but are not phonetically difficult to figure out. BTW I love [name]Aili[/name] and [name]Anneli[/name], both Finnish names.

I love it, and I think you should use it. It’s actually a lot easier to explain “it’s a family name” and “it’s Finnish”, than to have to have to continually spell the name over and over. It’s unusual enough that most people will remember it after the first time it’s spelt or pronounced for them. I say go for it!

I am so excited to see someone using a Finnish name! I was in Finland in [name]June[/name] 2010 and I absolutely loved it and over there there are double letters and very long names everywhere eg Marimekko (I just loooove Marimekko fabric and the shop in [name]Helsinki[/name]!

Use this lovely name!

Are you looking for a boy’s name too? If so [name]Kari[/name] is perfect imo.

I think it is pure sweetness! One thing to consider is the type of community you live in…progressive, more main-stream? My daughter was born in [name]Sweden[/name] (her father is Swedish) and we named her [name]Linnea[/name]. Visiting my hometown in the States (main-stream, professional community) we get some odd comments here and there but the town we’ll most likely settle in (a progressive, artist community) there are no eyebrows raised whatsoever. Maybe using one y would help? Or choosing a Finnish name that is more travels more easily and your namesake as a middle name?
Personally, I would use the name that feels the best to you and your partner. Best of luck!

I think it’s gorgeous! Though you will have to explain pronunciation quite often I think it is well worth the trouble to have such a unique, cute and meaningful name

Lyyli is beyond gorgeous. I can’t even begin to explain how beautiful I find it - it’s just fabulous, so riveting and such a captivating name. Wow. I am amazied.

Lyylie Maaria is gorgeous! What a gorgeous set of mns! I think it would be a fabulous way to honor her; plus, you don’t have to explain or “justify” it to anyone. It’s beautiful, not-made-up, original and is an expression of your family. ^^ It has meaning.