What are your thoughts on Franklyn?

We have some Franks and a [name]Franklyn[/name] in our fam. history. What are your honest thoughts? Is it too old sounding? What would be a good nn for it other than the obvious [name]Frankie[/name]?

I don’t personally care for it, but it’s not too bad. I think [name]Franklin[/name] fits in with [name]Henry[/name] and [name]George[/name] pretty well. I don’t like the y spelling though. [name]Frank[/name]/[name]Frankie[/name] is the only nn I can think of, which is maybe why I’m not a big fan. I do like [name]Franklin[/name] better than [name]Frank[/name], but maybe it’s not ready for a revival. With [name]Frank[/name], I only see an old man.

I like [name]Franklin[/name] spelled this way. The “y” makes it look like it’s trying to be a girls name.
[name]Franco[/name] as a nn?

It’s hard to get away from an ancestor’s original spelling if you want to be authentic, but the Y in [name]Franklyn[/name] does go with today’s current of adding a y where there should be an I, especially if you are taking a boy’s name to attribute a girl. I don’t know if you are in the US or not. From what basically little I understand so far of the UK, at least names authentic to the British Isles, the Y is masculine, not feminine (recently seen a post mentioning [name]Bronwyn[/name] (M), [name]Bronwen[/name] (F). I hope I have it correct - it’s interesting but I don’t memorize these things for some reason.

I don’t think [name]Franklin[/name] is one of those names, however, that falls under those rules. I go by the US trend that [name]Franklin[/name] is a male name, and feel it to be a male name ONLY and not fit for a girl. The Y instead of I makes it look like you are trying to be unique and perhaps unwittingly alt-spelling a proper name, especially to “translate” to the feminine side.

I have known a [name]Franklin[/name], it’s an ok name. He was called [name]Franklin[/name], no nickname, but I didn’t know him that long, from Venezuela, I think. I don’t know if he perhaps took his given name and “Americanized” it when he immigrated here to study. If [name]Franklyn[/name] is the true spelling by your ancestor, however, the one thing I take from posted lists of centuries-old birth records is that spelling things any way you want to is not a new custom at all. I think either way, it’s a good name.

The ancestor actually spelled it [name]Franklin[/name]. I was thinking of y because my middle name is lynn. Either way though, husband hated it when I mentioned it so back to the drawing board. Thanks for your input though.

Here are some other suggestions:
[name]Baldwin[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name] “[name]Ben[/name]”
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Orsin[/name]
[name]Perrin[/name] “[name]Perry[/name]”
[name]Tobin[/name] “[name]Toby[/name]”

You could use [name]Lyndon[/name], Lynley, or [name]Lynton[/name] as his middle name if you like!

[name]Buckley[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Conroy[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name] “[name]Roy[/name]”
[name]Geoffrey[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name] “[name]Geoff[/name]”
[name]Harry[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Pacey[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Perry[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Seeley[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name] “[name]Teddy[/name]”
[name]Tobias[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name] “[name]Toby[/name]”
[name]Willoughby[/name] [name]Lyndon[/name] “[name]Will[/name]”

Sorry that your husband nixed [name]Franklin[/name]/[name]Franklyn[/name]. I love the name-it was my grandfather’s mn and is an uncle’s fn. With my last two pregnancies who turned out to be girls, we had picked [name]Josiah[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] and [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] if they had been a boy. I would love it if my son and his wife pick [name]Franklin[/name] as a first or middle should one or both of their twins be boys.

I love the name [name]Frank[/name]!
But the “y” in in [name]Franklyn[/name] totally throws me for a loop…I agree about the “y” is forcing it on the feminine side.