What are your thoughts on the name 'Leia'...

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Leia[/name]-pronounced ‘[name]Lay[/name]-uh’, but I am afraid people will associate it with [name]Star[/name]-Wars. I think the moviesare alright, but that is not why I like the name. So, would you still name a dd this or would you look for another name? Also, the combination would be [name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name].

[name]TIA[/name]!

I like it! And I completely forgot about the [name]Star[/name] Wars princess until you mentioned it.

I can see myself in your place in five years. I love the name [name]Leia[/name], I love the sound, love the look, love the movies too for that matter, but I’m not sure if I have the guts to use it since it’s so closely tied to [name]Star[/name] Wars.

I don’t really have an answer except that its such a wonderful name, but there [name]WILL[/name] be constant comments about [name]Star[/name] Wars. I guess you’ll have to weigh how much of a problem that is for your daughter against how much you love it.

one of my [name]FAVORITE[/name] names! i think it’s simple and elegant and there are worse things to be associated with than a princess! The Hawaiian meaning of the name (which is my reason for liking it) is Child of [name]Heaven[/name]… don’t know if you’re religious, but if so, the meaning is just as beautiful as the name. I would absolutely use it, and [name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name] is a stunning combo.

I really love the sound of [name]Leia[/name], even though it will no doubt have an association with [name]Star[/name] Wars. It doesn’t bother me that much - it is better than Anakin and people use that! I don’t particularly care for the combination of [name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name]…

[name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name] involved a first name ending in a vowel and a middle name beginning with a vowel, which causes a reader to pause between the two names. I personally don’t care for this flow, but I can understand if [name]Emery[/name] has some significance to you, you want to use it.

Perhaps you could use something with the “mer” sound:

[name]Leia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]*
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Meriel[/name]*
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Meryl[/name]

Best of luck!

I love [name]Leia[/name]:slight_smile: I did think of [name]Princess[/name] [name]Leia[/name] from [name]Star[/name] Wars but there’s nothing wrong with that and I doubt many people will make that connection. I also love the meaning. I’m not a fan of [name]Emery[/name]/[name]Emory[/name] though. I would use a middle name that didn’t start with a vowel, just my opinion.

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

Thank you all for your responses! =) [name]Emery[/name] is the middle name of a friend of my husbands that was killed in a carwreck a few years ago, and so we would like to honor him. I will let dh know your thoughts and thanks again for your assitance with this! Much appreciated!!! Additionally, which do you think sounds better
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name] K/ or [name]Sara[/name] [name]Emery[/name] K.?

I love the sound of the name but prefer the spelling [name]Lea[/name], although this spelling might have pronounciation issues with people wanting to say “[name]Lee[/name].”

I think an association with [name]Star[/name] Wars will be hard to avoid, but as long as you don’t name her brothers [name]Luke[/name] and Han you should be ok!

It’s a lovely name. I know a Danish girl called [name]Leah[/name], who pronounces it like your [name]Leia[/name]. I also know a [name]Leila[/name], (said [name]Lay[/name]-la) which is quite similar - but then of course you have the [name]Eric[/name] Clapton song to deal with!

[name]Star[/name] wars! but it is such a pretty name. There is also [name]Leah[/name] my friend is Leiah ([name]Lee[/name]-uh)

I prefer [name]Emery[/name] on a boy.

[name]Leia[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Leia[/name] [name]Emer[/name]

If you’re that worried about it, I would use [name]Leila[/name] instead - with [name]Leia[/name] as a nickname. That way, you can try using [name]Leia[/name] and see if you like it…and if you don’t, you have [name]Leila[/name] to fall back on.

I love the combo [name]Leia[/name] [name]Emery[/name]! [name]Leila[/name] [name]Emery[/name] works well too.