What are your thoughts on... Thorin?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

I’ve been thinking about the name [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] recently and really love it! I read the book incessantly with my dad when I was younger, and loved the character.

I probably wouldn’t use it right now due to the popularity of The Hobbit, but by the time I’m ready to have kids (maybe 5+ years) it won’t be so mainstream anymore. Though I don’t think it would matter because I think I’d use it in the middle spot.

Some people have told me that it’s too tied to The Hobbit (it is, but I don’t mind). However, if [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eowyn[/name_f] can be used, why not [name_m]Thorin[/name_m]? Also, I have a cousin called Bilbo so it’s not that weird in my family.

But what are your thoughts?

I happen to be one of those odd people that know nothing about LOTR and The Hobbit. My immediate association with [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] is Norse mythology & I have to say that I love it. Its so strong & lovely to say. I think it would make a nice first name too :slight_smile:

I don’t know LOTR either so how is this pronounced? Is it ‘tor-in’ or ‘thor-in’? I know a few guys, including 2 family members, named ‘tor-in’ (various spellings) so I’m accustomed to the name. I like [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] if that’s the pronunciation. If it’s ‘thor-in’ then it’s not so appealing. I prefer [name_m]Thor[/name_m] or [name_m]Thorn[/name_m]

I was pronouncing it ‘thor-in’, sorry, though I quite like ‘tor-in’! Thank you!

^.^ Thank you, those were inspiring words

I like it! I’ve never seen LOTR. Well I tried and found it too boring to finish, but I digress.

Eh, I don’t really care for the sound but I do like [name_m]Theron[/name_m], which is similar.

The Hobbit is a good association to me, but [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] doesn’t hold much appeal. If you like it, though, you should use it. :slight_smile:

I am the biggest LOTR/Hobbit fan ever and absolutely adore the name. I think a lot of people will think of [name_m]Thor[/name_m] before they’d think LOTR. He’s a great character so is the association bad anyway? I’ve added it to the list recently but I don’t know if I could sneak it past the husband. Anyway, I think it is a wonderful strong name.

It’s on our baby name list! I love it.

I love [name_m]Thorin[/name_m]. Especially the [name_m]Thor[/name_m]-in pronunciation. Handsome name.

I think it could grow on me, though the Hobbit is the first thing which comes to mind.

I have seen/read LotR and the Hobbit and my first association with the name is always [name_m]Thor[/name_m], haha! I do know a child named [name_m]Thorin[/name_m] and he wears it well.

Aha, wow, didn’t expect so many positive reactions! Thanks everyone!