What being a name nerd does to your brain...

So I’m watching TV today and a commercial comes on with large print of the word [name]EVERY[/name]. [name]Silly[/name] me - I don’t associate it with every (as in every day). I’m thinking it’s someone’s name. I actually pronounced it EV-ER-EE - almost like the name of the day yesterday, [name]Ellery[/name].

Now mind you, my mind was tired - I had been at the dr.'s for 3 hours at that point. But I was wondering if anyone else has had weird expriences with names or words that weren’t names. :slight_smile:

I’m laughing out loud–the same thing happened to me a while ago!! I was reading a book, and every other word, I thought, “Hmm, would that make a good name?” I was going really insane, picking up names like “Puzzle” and “Stream”. (I was sick at the time, but it was still a pretty strange experience.) I also keeps lists of my favorite names and combos–do other people do that?
:slight_smile:

[name]Joanna[/name]-Yes! I do that when I’m reading books, and its really annoying sometimes! I also have tons upon tons of journals with names and combinations in them, where else would we name nerds store all that stuff!

Oh, so many lists! And in the past, at one of my most tired and pregnancy-brained moments, I did think Pickle would be a nice name. For a girl, probably … Pickle [name]Annabel[/name], perhaps :slight_smile:

Guilty pleasure names! One of mine is st signs! there is some lovely names. I have a book full of combos and one with a-z boys and girls along with my favourites list and hubby and I joint list :slight_smile:

Oh, I know! It got so annoying but it just kept happening–it’s a funny story now though!

Cool forum rkarczynski!

Thanks!

I do not keep a running list - except for when I’m pregnant (which is now). And being that I’m not going to have any more children, I most likely still won’t keep a list. I would hate to fall in love with (yet another) name, just to not be able to use it (I’m still upset I can’t use my favorite names for this baby). Though, I do pay attention to names and have a “list” in my head of my fave few.

I find it so weird people thinking of [name]Ellery[/name] as a name as it’s my maiden name! So I’ve only ever thought of it as a last name.
Thoughts on the name [name]Ellery[/name]?

I find it so weird people thinking of [name]Ellery[/name] as a name as it’s my maiden name! So I’ve only ever thought of it as a last name.
Thoughts on the name [name]Ellery[/name]?[/quote]

I only think of Elderly when I hear [name]Ellery[/name]. With some time, it might grow on me.

This is a pretty funny thread. It’s true, I did all these things even before I began writing name books! Here’s a bad thing it does: Judging people because of their names.

Thoughts on the name [name]Ellery[/name]?[/quote]

I only think of Elderly when I hear [name]Ellery[/name]. With some time, it might grow on me.[/quote]

I always think of Celery, but that doesn’t mean I abhor the name

Oh, [name]Pam[/name], yes! My husband is always getting after me about that. He calls me a name snob. I feel so bad about it. Though as much as I might judge them about their names, I judge their parents even more! I can’t help but think, “Why oh why would you choose that when there are so many beautiful ACTUAL names?”

I have an entire folder in my documents devoted to names. I have lists of my favorite names, lists of family names, lists of name combinations, and quite a few baby name games I’ve completed. When I’m out and about, I’m always listening to hear what parents are calling their children. I have to admit, I’m guilty of judging parents by what they’ve named their children. “Ugh! [name]Jayden[/name]?! You couldn’t think of anything better?” or “Hastings?! I really hope that’s a family name. The poor child…” It’s always easy for me to tell who my fellow name nerds are as well. For example, a mom who has a [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Dylan[/name], and [name]Addison[/name] in tow is much less likely to be a name nerd than a mom who has a [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], and [name]Oscar[/name].

Too funny, yesterday I was helping a woman in my store, and we have some Jewish merchandise like tzedaka jars and mezzuzah (sp?) to paint, and she found a plaque that says in big letters, “[name]SHALOM[/name]”. And she waves me over and says “This plaque here with the woman’s name, [name]Shalom[/name] (she said it ‘[name]SHAE[/name]-lem’)… could you make one with my name on it?” I had to explain to her that [name]Shalom[/name] is not a name. I did offer to make her a plaque with her name - she never told me what her name was - but she got embarrassed and left.

As for judging people by their names, I tend to judge their parents more than them. Like I imagine [name]Kathryn[/name]'s parents are ultra-conservative Republicans, [name]Cloud[/name]‘s parents are hippies, et c. I’ve almost stopped asking parents what their kids’ names are, because I work in a very wealthy, yuppie part of town and they’re all named [name]William[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name]. But I can’t help myself, I’m so curious! And every now and then I meet a Toller (b) or a [name]Lydia[/name] or an [name]Amaya[/name] and it makes it all worth it.

I was just talking to someone today about how I am a name nerd! LOL! I am always interested in those people that have children with very unique names and wonder why they decided to go with it. But as a pp said you can tell a lot about a person that has a newborn named [name]Jayden[/name] or [name]Kaylee[/name] and that they probably aren’t a name nerd. [name]Just[/name] as someone with a newborn named [name]Thaddeus[/name] or [name]Seraphina[/name] would probably have a plethora of interesting favorite names.

I love this forum! I live in a college town, very hippie, and almost every child has what I consider to be pretty far out names. I’ve started keeping a list of them and sharing it with my friends on Facebook. My favorite so far is a little girl named [name]Strawberry[/name] [name]Lemon[/name], although I also know multiple Hickorys, Azaleas, and Orions. I try not to judge people for names like these, which I think are creative, although a part of me wonders how little [name]Strawberry[/name] or [name]Orion[/name] is going to do as an investment banker or a Peoria housewife…

On the other hand, when I talked to someone a few days ago and she told me she was pregnant and her favorite names were [name]Nevaeh[/name] and [name]Jaden[/name], I immediately knew we would never be best friends…