oh yeah probably

1 Like

okay I’ll make it!

3 Likes

wait, Everything But names or Writer’s Corner? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ok!

1 Like

Other people reading this— sorry for the diversion of topic! You may resume your answers to the original post:

1 Like

I can’t with the lack of representation for divorced people in the realistic fiction I read. The only story I’ve ever come across that includes divorced parents/people is my own, which I find to be strange, considering the fact that people do get divorced in real life.

2 Likes

Really? I’ve found many books with divorced parents, but more recent ones I guess.

Yeah, I think there must be some in recent ones, because I’ve read a lot of stories about single mothers, but the father has either passed away, or there’s no mention made to him.

1 Like

I’ve never really thought about it, but yes, that’s very true! I don’t know how I’ve never noticed. On my own writing, it tends to be roughly half and half, which I think is truer to real life.

I agree. I don’t like the “evil parents” trope all that much myself.

1 Like

I think the deceased parent trope is so popular because writers don’t bother making up backstories. Writing someone with no ties whatsoever is just… easier.

[name_f]My[/name_f] current WIP features divorced parents! So I feel very appreciated by this thread. :blush:

2 Likes

To be quite honest, the rate of living parents is pretty high in my current WIPs, but the probability that the parents are still together or in the picture at all decreases as you get closer to the MCs haha.

1 Like

You literally just described [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]…

5 Likes

lol never read or watched it sorry

I’m bored by the hated, annoying, most popular kid triumphing over all the popular people and knocking them to the curb as the once hated kid suddenly becomes the most popular kid around…

It just won’t happen in real life, it’s boring.

2 Likes

It’s just funny how JKR turned that classic cliche into the most popular series of all time

2 Likes

Also Eragon, [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars, the other (newer) [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars, Wheel of Time, [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of the Seeker, His Dark Materials and Spiderman. It’s a well-used trope to say the least.

5 Likes

Yes. It is probably a third of books!